shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me speak diamond?

nomadish

Rough_Rock
Hi PSers :wavey:

I've been lurking for a little bit and gobbling up the great info on this site but am still learning the basics.

I'm finding myself unexpectedly looking for a new ering 13 years into my marriage. I learned I have a gold allergy so I need to get something in platinum. My original ring is very dear to me and I think only suits yellow gold, so I'll keep it for my kids and from scratch I begin. I really don't wear much jewelry, especially since the allergy news, but this ring is very important to me and I DO LOVE a good creative process, so I've just been looking at everything to see what catches my eye. Also, since I'm Canadian, and the dollar now sucks, I expect I'll be looking for a while more. :nono: So I might as well get better at it.

What I've found I like is:
- Asscher cut or cushion cut
- I am less a fan of super sparklers or crushed ice look but really love beautiful chunky cuts that give some colourful flashes and I've seen some warmer stones I like
- Also like the visual interest of the Asschers
- I *think* I like blue fluorescence but also have no idea what other colours of fluor there are that I wouldn't want
- Settings that have a vintage feel and some visual interest - e.g. milgrain, cathedral? shoulders that have a pave design feature, halos that have a delicate or vintage look
- Also prefer thin bands - shanks I think?
- I think staying around 1 ct or slightly less would suit my personal style and lifestyle/job more, I'm not so super blingy although I appreciate from afar ;-)
- My original ring is modest but quite unique (from Scotland, celtic trinity details) so I need something that really catches my breath to make up for not getting to wear it now

I'd appreciate any guidance on how to translate these preferences into "diamond speak" or next steps I could consider now to help me work toward making a decision. I do not live in a large city so limited in person selection. I'll likely be buying online or working with a local jeweler or a combo of the two. Thanks in advance for any tips! I look forward to spending even more time here. :D

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A person after my own heart.
I have had four asschers and ended up with one that is a little over 6mm square. I did have a just-under 1 carat and [for me] it was too small to enjoy as a solitaire. I then had a 1.55 but it had light leakage so I returned it.
My current 6mm is a 1.23 ct with excellent cut/light return/spread. I am happy with it. During my search for asschers I learned that the really good ones are not easy to find and I never could find any locally, so it presented a bit of a challenge. I found that taking time to research and talk to PSers as you are doing helped.
The cushions have a similar drawback with size, but I believe there is a better chance to more easily find a good performer.
If you want size, a round old European cut is a good bet. They are beautiful.

One thing you can do is find a stone online that you love and have it sent to you to look at. It is a slight hassle that is worthwhile.

[my 2 cents]

ps. you can go to the James Allen website and do two things-
pick a couple of asschers you like and have us critique them, thus furthering your knowledge.
also, with the + and - function on James Allen shrink the image of the stone down to actually size [using a mm ruler as a guide]. That gives you an idea of how it would appear in person. : )

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
nomadish|1453225814|3977986 said:
Hi PSers :wavey:

What I've found I like is:
- Asscher cut or cushion cut
- I am less a fan of super sparklers or crushed ice look but really love beautiful chunky cuts that give some colourful flashes and I've seen some warmer stones I like
- Also like the visual interest of the Asschers
- I *think* I like blue fluorescence but also have no idea what other colours of fluor there are that I wouldn't want
- Settings that have a vintage feel and some visual interest - e.g. milgrain, cathedral? shoulders that have a pave design feature, halos that have a delicate or vintage look
- Also prefer thin bands - shanks I think?
- I think staying around 1 ct or slightly less would suit my personal style and lifestyle/job more, I'm not so super blingy although I appreciate from afar ;-)
- My original ring is modest but quite unique (from Scotland, celtic trinity details) so I need something that really catches my breath to make up for not getting to wear it now

AVC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6kdHJm3s0w

AVR and AVC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djJ2n9PAZBk

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have a budget?

Also as cushions and asschers face up small. You may want to shoot for a carat with them.

I really like your list of things you like.

I'd like to suggest you look at Beverly K for some inspiration. They have lovely vintage style settings at a great price point with very good quality.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I love the settings you picked out.
Do you have any suggestions for settings with a delicate halo that might bump up a stone a mm or less?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine is about that in 1/2 pointers but you are talking 4k for.a.steven kirsch setting. Maybe ERD/BE could do.it for.less.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1453324284|3978728 said:
Mine is about that in 1/2 pointers but you are talking 4k for.a.steven kirsch setting. Maybe ERD/BE could do.it for.less.
SK does such a beautiful job. At least if he is over-budget, his work can be an example of how everything should look.

edit: When I first started on PS all the halos looked good, but now those subtle differences of melee placement and alignment and the angle of the halo really stand out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results