shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me see the water lily inclusion in this photo

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
Hi, everyone,
I'm doing some more sapphire education before I jump into a purchase. I've spent some time on Wildfish Gems' site. And I took a look at this beauty, which is not in my budget, but gorgeous http://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/5663/
Can someone please tell me, what is a waterlily inclusion? I can't see anything in the photo except for a lighter blue area on the edge of one corner of the stone. Thank you :wavey:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure Ed will confirm but this looks like it - it's quite a large one. You can see it in the photo above this on on his site also but the stone is rotated and a little more difficult to see (but look at the centre of the stone and you'll spot it and then can follow its path).

A lily pad inclusion is exactly how it sounds - it looks like a lily pad and can be quite pretty up close! Here's a reference photo from the GIA.

Lily pad inclusion.jpg

Lily pad inclusion 2.jpg

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, LD. Your directions on where to look helped me see it in the center of the stone. The photo from the GIA was helpful, too. The inclusion does look exactly like a lilly pad. The names for inclusions in gems are really charming, like lily pad and veil. Interesting how Ed points out on his site that inclusions can be proof of a stone's unheated state.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Nice!

Lily pad inclusions are most typical in peridot - it's a negative crystal surrounded by a disc-like fracture.

Another fun name for an inclusion is 'millipede' in moonstone...

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Off-topic - hopefully you will post photos of this stone when you receive it. Seems to be a beauty, an unheated Burmese sapphire, a 4-ct one! Just dying to see it!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
crasru|1316795415|3023891 said:
Off-topic - hopefully you will post photos of this stone when you receive it. Seems to be a beauty, an unheated Burmese sapphire, a 4-ct one! Just dying to see it!

Me too! I'd love to see this stone in person, much less own it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results