shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me recreate a ring!

Cobblestone

Rough_Rock
My mother is nostalgic for a ring she and my father couldn't afford when they first got married. It was a simple 14kt yellow gold round "tiny" solitaire circa the early 70s. I'd like to help my parents recreate this ring, but with a PS-quality diamond. My mother isn't too sure of what she wants and isn't very big on jewelry, just wants the nostalgia. Any thoughts on settings, etc that would work well?

Cobblestone

Rough_Rock
Im not clever enough to help you (others will be along soon) but this is a lovelly idea and i very much look forward to following along with your journey for this perfect ring for your parents

Thank you! It’s a bit of a journey, as we got her a yellow gold oval a couple of years ago for a large birthday and she confessed today that she was still nostalgic for that classic round. So, it’s time for attempt #2! Definitely want to get it right.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Jabel still makes a lot of rings reminiscient of that era, like this one:

How small a stone are you looking for?

Cobblestone

Rough_Rock
Jabel still makes a lot of rings reminiscient of that era, like this one:

How small a stone are you looking for?

Oo, thank you! I was thinking I’d get ~0.4-0.5 ish stone. Probably the “easy” route of whiteflash or the like.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Is she able to draw it? Might be difficult if you're trying to surprise her but as she's so nostalgic about it, it might be better to do that and get it right. At least then you would have an approximation of what to look for. Also it would give you an idea of how tiny she is talking about. Would she be wearing it like an engagement ring, in which case so you have to think about the way it would match against a wedding band?

It's a lovely idea, good on you.

Cobblestone

Rough_Rock
Is she able to draw it? Might be difficult if you're trying to surprise her but as she's so nostalgic about it, it might be better to do that and get it right. At least then you would have an approximation of what to look for. Also it would give you an idea of how tiny she is talking about. Would she be wearing it like an engagement ring, in which case so you have to think about the way it would match against a wedding band?

It's a lovely idea, good on you.

She no longer wears her original wedding band, but rather a replacement. Plain yellow gold. So, we could always get a new one to match. I get the impression that it doesn’t have to be a 100% exact replica (I’m not sure she remembers all the little details either. I’ve been showing her some photos, and she likes a pinched/narrowing shank, either 4 or 6 prong is fine. Likes the look of a donut. So, I’m thinking a sturdy, classic design sort of like a Tiffany style would work, but if anyone knows more specifics on what exactly was popular at the time, I can show her and narrow it down more. For the stone, I think we’re aiming for something in the half carat range (even though I imagine the original was closer to 0.3).

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
She no longer wears her original wedding band, but rather a replacement. Plain yellow gold. So, we could always get a new one to match. I get the impression that it doesn’t have to be a 100% exact replica (I’m not sure she remembers all the little details either. I’ve been showing her some photos, and she likes a pinched/narrowing shank, either 4 or 6 prong is fine. Likes the look of a donut. So, I’m thinking a sturdy, classic design sort of like a Tiffany style would work, but if anyone knows more specifics on what exactly was popular at the time, I can show her and narrow it down more. For the stone, I think we’re aiming for something in the half carat range (even though I imagine the original was closer to 0.3).

I personally find the Tiffany setting too heavy for stones that small. Personal preference, but the smaller stones from that era tended to be set high (to make them stand out more) like this one: https://www.etsy.com/listing/694672...70s+engagement+ring&ref=sr_gallery-2-14&frs=1

I am biased, but I think the Cartier 1895 setting is so flattering even to small stones. https://www.1stdibs.co.uk/jewelry/r...nd-18-karat-pink-gold-ring-us-5/id-j_4374831/

I believe Stuller makes a close dupe or I'm sure any custom jeweler could make a similar setting.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was engaged in the seventies. Most jewelry stores at that time featured plain solitaires with 14 kt gold shanks and white gold/platinum prongs. Diamond sizes ranged but most that I remembered were about .50 for a decent showing. Mine was .78 so considered rather large for the times. Most of them were six prongs but sometimes four. I agree with above poster that the ring needs to be less substantial with lower prongs so that it doesn’t overwhelm the diamond d but rather accents it. This is a real labor of love and I am sure your mother will be thrilled with the outcome!

Cobblestone

Rough_Rock
I was engaged in the seventies. Most jewelry stores at that time featured plain solitaires with 14 kt gold shanks and white gold/platinum prongs. Diamond sizes ranged but most that I remembered were about .50 for a decent showing. Mine was .78 so considered rather large for the times. Most of them were six prongs but sometimes four. I agree with above poster that the ring needs to be less substantial with lower prongs so that it doesn’t overwhelm the diamond d but rather accents it. This is a real labor of love and I am sure your mother will be thrilled with the outcome!

Thank you for your input! It sounds like we are on the right track!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine was .35 on a yellow gold pinched band with satin brushed finish. It was huge at the time. 6 prongs.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Similar

Attachments

• 8A05DBC7-B1B9-4B6E-84F4-821F65D81F8A.jpeg
    8A05DBC7-B1B9-4B6E-84F4-821F65D81F8A.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 25

LittleKite

Shiny_Rock
One design I always love is the twist Carina setting. It is unique, modern, affordable, and goes very well with smaller stones. You may want to consider it.

White flash only has it in white gold or platinum. But b2cjewels carries a similar design in yellow gold:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results