shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me read the undertones in this green tourm

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
I think it was pregcurious who said at one point that she has a hard time reading undertones unless she's sitting there with paint chips. Don't know if that's still the case for her; I feel I'm the same way, but I'm trying to learn. I have this green tourmaline (open c) on its way to me. How would you describe its color? What are its undertones? Thanks! :bigsmile:

green_potato_5.png

green_potato_6.png

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
It looks to have some brown in it and a small amount of blue. I'd guess the first picture is natural day light.

The second picture reminds me of Namibian Demantoid garnets. It looks as if it is under an artificial light of some sort in that picture.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Based on the first pic, I'd say blue, but the second looks more yellowish to me. Interested to see what other posters think as I am hopeless at undertones/modifiers as well.

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
I don't know for sure, but I think both photos are taken inside. I'll obviously be able to take more photos when it gets here in different light. It comes with a nice return policy, but I wanted to see it in person. In addition to still learning about undertones, I'm still learning how to read photos. ;))

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
That sounds like something I would say :)

It looks slightly yellow to me in the 1st pic, and slightly blue in the 2nd pic.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A pretty, but not super saturated hue. The lack of saturation can make it appear to have brown or grey in it depending upon the lighting. I see more brownish with slight yellow modifier in the first pic and more greyish with yellow modifier in the second. I bet it will be a bright and pretty stone in hand. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results