shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me re-set my grandfather's ring!

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Hello PS'ers!

I inherited this ring from my grandpa almost 25 years ago, never wore it. It's a 22 carat yellow gold ring with a very windowed yellow sapphire in it. He wore it in his pointer finger and it fits my middle finger perfectly!

I want to remove that yellow sapphire, and replace it with some other colored stone, something that will be hard enough to wear on a daily basis. Obvious stones that come to mind are ruby/sapphire/spinel but is there any other stone you guys can think of? I also thought of setting four small diamonds together into a square like a cluster. (Don't have the budget currently for one big diamond.)

Thank you for your suggestions!

PXL_20231124_023641008.MP.jpg

PXL_20231124_013639733.jpg

Here's a Hearts on Fire ring that has multiple small diamonds together instead of one big one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231123-203342.png
    Screenshot_20231123-203342.png
    718.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

88_star

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I think with that beautiful setting, it wouldn't do justice to do an illusion setting with the four stones. Spinel could be a more cost effective alternative to sapphire depending on the color but any of those would be good options; just determine what color you'd like first and go from there.

Another option would be to send the yellow sapphire for a recut and see if it can still be put back. Based on the setting it looks like the bezel would have to be rebuilt anyway whatever stone you set if you choose to remove the sapphire.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like this design! I wonder if you have considered a synthetic ruby? They were very common in men’s rings from grandpa times. My grandpa had one. Would keep costs down and could be custom cut

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why are you doing this? It’s soooo hard to fit another stone into a bezel. They need to fit like a glove. The stone is beautiful! Replacing it with a mosaic of diamonds seems very tacky. And I guess I don’t get why you’d want to replace it- I wouldn’t hold a true antique to the standards of precision cutting.

Do what you want of course but I think there’s a lot to love about it. And I think replacing it with a lab stone or a diamond cluster would be a downgrade.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i do rather love the yellow saphire but i get that maybe the window is annoying you

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am almost always in the "leave it alone" camp but that window looks like a bullet-hole -- at least in the top photo -- and would bug me, too. I love @88_star's suggestion above to go period-appropriate synthetic -- and that would let a lapidary fit it perfectly (i.e., who cares about a little loss of material?).

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
I think with that beautiful setting, it wouldn't do justice to do an illusion setting with the four stones. Spinel could be a more cost effective alternative to sapphire depending on the color but any of those would be good options; just determine what color you'd like first and go from there.

Another option would be to send the yellow sapphire for a recut and see if it can still be put back. Based on the setting it looks like the bezel would have to be rebuilt anyway whatever stone you set if you choose to remove the sapphire.

I agree reg the illusion setting, thanks for your suggestions.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
I like this design! I wonder if you have considered a synthetic ruby? They were very common in men’s rings from grandpa times. My grandpa had one. Would keep costs down and could be custom cut

Haha I actually do have another ring - belongs to my other grandfather and that one does have a synthetic ruby in it! It's gorgeous and my husband wears it. And thank you, I love this ring - so many men's rings are bulky but this one has presence without being too chunky.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Why are you doing this? It’s soooo hard to fit another stone into a bezel. They need to fit like a glove. The stone is beautiful! Replacing it with a mosaic of diamonds seems very tacky. And I guess I don’t get why you’d want to replace it- I wouldn’t hold a true antique to the standards of precision cutting.

Do what you want of course but I think there’s a lot to love about it. And I think replacing it with a lab stone or a diamond cluster would be a downgrade.

I hate bezels and I am not going to fit another stone into the bezel. I dislike the stone - I have always disliked yellow sapphires as well as yellow beryls. People replace things because they don't appeal. Look at the one million threads on ps of people re-setting their ERs a gazillion times. I know I'll never wear this ring as is, so I'd rather re-set it.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
i do rather love the yellow saphire but i get that maybe the window is annoying you

I just don't like yellow sapphires at all. It's weird, given that I adore blue sapphires so much and also pink ones. For some reason I don't care for yellow beryls either, don't know what it is.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
It is just my opinion, but I would leave it exactly as it is. It's imperfect? So what -it was his, that's what is important.

If I leave it as it is, I'll never wear it. I've owned it for 22+ years. I am his only grandchild so after he passed I got all his things - I keep everything in my home and admire it from time to time but never use his stuff. I actually want to wear this ring tho so if I have to reset it, so be it. Even if I re-set it, it's still his.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
I am almost always in the "leave it alone" camp but that window looks like a bullet-hole -- at least in the top photo -- and would bug me, too. I love @88_star's suggestion above to go period-appropriate synthetic -- and that would let a lapidary fit it perfectly (i.e., who cares about a little loss of material?).

I know, right? I am frankly amazed by the leave it as it is camp - that stone is... something. I'm tired of having this ring sitting in a little box, unused so off to the jewelers it is.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Update - I sent the ring off to David at DBL. He's done so many projects for me in the past and I love his eye and trust his judgement. He's going to assess it and come back with ideas. I'm excited! I'm hoping he has some antique stone he can put in there. Maybe something chonky.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just don't like yellow sapphires at all. It's weird, given that I adore blue sapphires so much and also pink ones. For some reason I don't care for yellow beryls either, don't know what it is.

yellow i think is a colour ones loves to wear
or one doesnt

while i love daffodils i dont think i even own any lemon in my wardrobe

....now orange is a completly dfferent keatle of fish :lol-2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know, right? I am frankly amazed by the leave it as it is camp - that stone is... something. I'm tired of having this ring sitting in a little box, unused so off to the jewelers it is.

wear it, dont warehouse is a jewlery motto i borrowed from someone
i think as much as i like it as it is, if you arnt wearing it and you want to but you just dont like the stone, then i really look forward to what happens next =)2

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha I actually do have another ring - belongs to my other grandfather and that one does have a synthetic ruby in it! It's gorgeous and my husband wears it. And thank you, I love this ring - so many men's rings are bulky but this one has presence without being too chunky.

Grandpa fashion trends!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Update - I sent the ring off to David at DBL. He's done so many projects for me in the past and I love his eye and trust his judgement. He's going to assess it and come back with ideas. I'm excited! I'm hoping he has some antique stone he can put in there. Maybe something chonky.

That’s great! Can’t wait to see what you come up with.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate bezels and I am not going to fit another stone into the bezel. I dislike the stone - I have always disliked yellow sapphires as well as yellow beryls. People replace things because they don't appeal. Look at the one million threads on ps of people re-setting their ERs a gazillion times. I know I'll never wear this ring as is, so I'd rather re-set it.

I didn’t know people reuse items to make new rings, thank you for explaining to me.

Hope this turns out for you.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I hope you come back and update the thread as you finalize the new stone and setting, and of course post hand shots.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
It's back from DBL!

We prong set a deep yellow cushion diamond that almost looks greenish in the 22k gold. So much fire!

My grandfather was a double Leo (sun and moon in Leo) and his favorite color was yellow. He was my absolute favorite person in the world. He came from a very wealthy family and had an enviable number of jewels so I find this flamboyant statement ring so fitting for him! It's exuberant and bold like him. I love it!

In my culture (Indian) people wear "astrological" rings so he wore this ring with the yellow sapphire on his pointer finger on his family astrologer's advice and never took it off.

I have been wearing it 24/7 only taking it out when I shower, and it brings a big smile to my face when I see it throwing out fireballs in the sun. Somehow I find it comforting to see it on my finger and I am aware of the heft of the gold even when I am looking away. It's a bit like a weighted blanket if you know what I mean. My grandfather died at age 86 and I miss him terribly but I love wearing his things. I am going to start wearing his ridiculously chunky gold chain and going to figure out a way to wear his cuff links.

When I sent a childhood photo of my grandfather and me to David, he said projects like this make his day and it's why he loves his job.

Thank you for your responses and interest!

Happy Holidays, everyone.

PXL_20231222_191917118.jpg

PXL_20231222_191730039.jpg

PXL_20231222_191627554.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20231222_191357382.MP.jpg

PXL_20231222_191258711.jpg

Last edited:

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!!! You also have gorgeous hands and such long fingers.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
That's just the color I was going to suggest! So rich with the gold. Fabulous ring and heirloom, thanks for posting.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It turned out so well! I love it so much and totally understand why it makes you feel so happy to look at it. I have my grandpas wedding band. It isn’t anything special but even so I love wearing it. It makes me happy. Your makeover was totally the right way to go and it’s making me think about my sometimes thought of engraving my grandpas wb just to make it more “me”.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
It turned out so well! I love it so much and totally understand why it makes you feel so happy to look at it. I have my grandpas wedding band. It isn’t anything special but even so I love wearing it. It makes me happy. Your makeover was totally the right way to go and it’s making me think about my sometimes thought of engraving my grandpas wb just to make it more “me”.

Thank you so much!!! I'm glad your grandpa's band makes you happy. ❤️

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I love that you kept the stone a similar color as the original, so the overall look is the same. It turned out great-enjoy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results