shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Put Together These Earrings

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I was watching "It's Complicated" with Meryl Streep last night (I wanted to strangle Alec Baldwin!) and she had this pearl of earrings that drove me crazy. They're so simple, I think it's just white, round, 9mm-10mm freshies on a shepherd's hook. They looked amazingly good on. Classic, simple, casual but pretty and lovely, and she wore them through a lot of the movie.

Now, I have the hooks, and headpins, and can put these puppies together pretty easily, if I can just find the stupid pearls. I like a challenge, so I want to see how low-priced I can do this.

Anybody have a lead on a pair of CHEAP round freshies?

merylearrings.jpg

its-complicated-meryl-streep-1.JPG

Steel

Ideal_Rock
They are very elegant but every day wearable. I look forward to seeing how you get on, I saw cheap freshwater single pearls on PP that you could request to be drilled - are they no good?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Steal|1290972184|2781032 said:
They are very elegant but every day wearable. I look forward to seeing how you get on, I saw cheap freshwater single pearls on PP that you could request to be drilled - are they no good?
Interesting. I priced out the white round (AAA) 9-10 mm freshwater round, full-drilled, and it would be $39 per pearl. So, $78 for the pair, same as the South Seas from druzydesigns.

There are vendors on eBay who have entire earrings for less than that, just not sure if you want to go that way.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1290969268|2781003 said:
I can find half-drilled, but I'm thinking you want full-drilled. I'm not having much luck there.

I'd suggest these white south sea baroques. Not quite round, but really, really pretty.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-SOUTH-SEA-IRIDESCENT-METALLIC-BAROQUE-PEARL-PAIR-/380233937176?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5887b57118

Ooooh! Love those SS! Gorgeous! I have a pair of baroque (freshie) earrings that are pretty similar, though. Nice find, and thank you for looking for me. Thanks for the drooling break! :cheeky:

I have nothing against half-drilled, I can hunt down a finding for that pretty easily, if you see something that would work.

I may have to contact Kojima pearls and Catherine and see what they have up their sleeves.

Am I the only one that noticed that Catherine puts up new necklaces every week? I think Catherine can put the pair together for me even cheaper than an ebay vendor, but Sarah might have something in an akoya or SS. . . :naughty:

I'm telling you; watch the movie and see if you don't want a pair of these stupidly simple earrings . . . :rolleyes:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Hi LG! :wavey:

Fancy meeting you here (too :D )! I LOVE :love: that pair, it is gorgeous and an amazing deal. I don't think I could even get gold findings for that price! But for this time, I am determined to get the round white ones.

If it kills us both, LG :lol:

Hey, I had an idea; do you think I could just twist over the earring post on a pair of stud earrings? :?:

Better consult with my DH on that one, he's the man with the pliers . . . :naughty:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems|1291008604|2781550 said:
Hi iLander, again! :lol:

I think you'll find they glue the pearls onto the post, and you'll need some sort of solvent to dissolve the glue.

What size pearls are you looking for?

7.0mm to 7.5mm
http://cgi.ebay.com/AAA-NATURAL-Sno...028?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adda9f274

I bought some coin pearls from this website 2 years ago, they were as described, but I haven't bought round pearls from them before.
http://www.youpearl.com/pearl-bead-...eshwater-loose-pearl-wholesale-aaa-p-308.html

Hi, LG! :wavey:

Okay, totally loving the second link! The first are a titch too small, but the second looks like the way to go. I want to see what Sarah at Kojima comes up with (I know it won't be cheaper, but I'm pretty curious about what she has in the "back room"), but I have a feeling that I will end up with these.

Thanks, LG, you're awesome! :appl:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1291076063|2782197 said:
Lovinggems|1291008604|2781550 said:
Hi iLander, again! :lol:

I think you'll find they glue the pearls onto the post, and you'll need some sort of solvent to dissolve the glue.

What size pearls are you looking for?

7.0mm to 7.5mm
http://cgi.ebay.com/AAA-NATURAL-Sno...028?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adda9f274

I bought some coin pearls from this website 2 years ago, they were as described, but I haven't bought round pearls from them before.
http://www.youpearl.com/pearl-bead-...eshwater-loose-pearl-wholesale-aaa-p-308.html

Hi, LG! :wavey:

Okay, totally loving the second link! The first are a titch too small, but the second looks like the way to go. I want to see what Sarah at Kojima comes up with (I know it won't be cheaper, but I'm pretty curious about what she has in the "back room"), but I have a feeling that I will end up with these.

Thanks, LG, you're awesome! :appl:

iLander hope you find what you're looking for, looking forward to seeing the finished product.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems|1291278748|2784951 said:

Hi LG! :wavey:

I think you're right! Those are pretty much it! Good spotting, LG, thank you!

Now here's the bad news: mentioned this to DH, and he said I should go ahead and spend some more $$ and get golden SS earrings to match the upcoming necklace! I guess it's not all bad news, actually. :bigsmile: I don't really like matchy-matchy, but he does have a point, I don't really have anything to go with the necklace. I am considering these from Jose:

http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/golden-south-sea-pearl-earrings/golden_south_sea_pearl_leverbacks_earrings_gelr.htm

Whaddya think? Should I get big ones (the necklace is 10-12 mm) or are little ones okay? If I get big ones is it too matchy?

Definitely don't want studs, not a stud fan, don't even like the usual diamond studs (everybody has those, I have dangles).

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1291295134|2785005 said:
Now here's the bad news: mentioned this to DH, and he said I should go ahead and spend some more $$ and get golden SS earrings to match the upcoming necklace! I guess it's not all bad news, actually. :bigsmile: I don't really like matchy-matchy, but he does have a point, I don't really have anything to go with the necklace. I am considering these from Jose:

http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/golden-south-sea-pearl-earrings/golden_south_sea_pearl_leverbacks_earrings_gelr.htm

Whaddya think? Should I get big ones (the necklace is 10-12 mm) or are little ones okay? If I get big ones is it too matchy?

I agree completely with your DH. Those goldens are lovely, and will look great with the necklace. And, when you are wearing the earrings, and not the necklace, you won't be matchy-matchy at all. :tongue: I'd get the earrings at about the 10 mm range. Much smaller, and you won't get the Meryl Streep look you so admired.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Hi iLander, I would get one at least in the 11-12mm range, but I can't help it and think you should go for the largest size, will definitely be a showstopper even without a necklace. :love:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Oooooooooo! I peaked in DH's closet and there's a package from Reingold imports (tahitianpearls.biz official name) !!!! :appl:

I pointed out a couple of golden earrings that are pretty close to Meryl's (but golden :love: ) so maybe one of those?

I wonder what he ended up with?

WHY is it NOT Christmas yet?!!! :errrr:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results