shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me plot my next purchase

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been eying these two beauties and I can’t decide!

Option 1 is this antique OEC, possibly Edwardian. I’m waiting for the seller to provide the appraisal, but she’s definitely a warmer stone with dark inclusion. Eye clean though! Priced at $4,300 and she was very hard to take off!
2BA2D36A-FAFD-487A-A910-10614320FFA3.jpeg 1CC50608-9C51-440B-8AB6-A77B72431730.jpeg

Option 2 would be to work with Alex Park to recreate this Victorian beauty. He’s been selling similar pairs of elongated cushion cuts from $4-6,000 + cost of setting, so I would have a ring plus a diamond to spare. My engagement ring is a crisscut cushion so I know I like these types of cuts even though I haven’t tried this on before.
BE5E8ECC-CCE9-4884-AE32-A5DC40CF8AFF.png 352F2B20-F8FA-4878-A625-6BCC9C1B6A48.png

Which one of these screams “JPie” more?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the first one, I think it fits your aesthetic and it's really pretty. You've seen it in person so if it gives you all the feels then I'd pick that one.

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first one is really pretty. I'm not sure about the center stone. Have you thought about working with AP on doing that ring with
a better cut OEC?

Perhaps its the history you like though and the center doesnt have to be perfect...I sure like the design of it.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the first one, I think it fits your aesthetic and it's really pretty. You've seen it in person so if it gives you all the feels then I'd pick that one.
Thank you!

The first one is really pretty. I'm not sure about the center stone. Have you thought about working with AP on doing that ring with
a better cut OEC?

Perhaps its the history you like though and the center doesnt have to be perfect...I sure like the design of it.
I would rather go with the antique because I don't think anything cast will look quite as delicate, and it would be a pain to source the OMCs surrounding the center.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the first one looks so you imho

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the first one, but don’t love the center stone. It looks mushy/cloudy.

Second one is great, but that unique setting is so attractive for #1

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't really know the OP well enough to comment, however, personally I would opt for the first ring as it is more pleasing to my eyes.

DK :))

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I’m changing my vote!

I think the ring #1 would be gorgeous with the center stone replaced by a fancy yellow (preferably warm Buttery yellow, not green toned), and you could mount the orphaned center stone on a chain for casual wear.

The second ring seems more of what I consider your style... but it is difficult to recreate an antique. Who would you use?

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the first one looks so you imho
Thank you!

Love the first one, but don’t love the center stone. It looks mushy/cloudy.

Second one is great, but that unique setting is so attractive for #1
I think you may be right about the mush. I'll have to take a closer look at it to be sure.

Don't really know the OP well enough to comment, however, personally I would opt for the first ring as it is more pleasing to my eyes.

DK :))
Thank you!

I’m changing my vote!

I think the ring #1 would be gorgeous with the center stone replaced by a fancy yellow (preferably warm Buttery yellow, not green toned), and you could mount the orphaned center stone on a chain for casual wear.

The second ring seems more of what I consider your style... but it is difficult to recreate an antique. Who would you use?
I would just leave #1 as is if I do get it. I don't know if replacing the center is going to be a simple job or not, and it'll probably take time to source the perfect replacement.

The second ring I would have Alex make.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, take a closer look. Maybe it’s dirty and you know how hard it is to take diamond photos.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
The second ring I would have Alex make.

Which, of course, I would have known already, if I actually read the text you wrote in you first post! Instead of just looking at the pictures! Bad P-R, bad! Sorry.

I think ring #1 is stunning.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you sure the first one is a true antique? Judging from the pic it looks like am antique style—meaning it’s a reproduction but it could just be the pic. If it is and the stone is livelier in person that gets my vote. I like the second also Bc I’m in love with elongated stones and would think it would make a sturdy rhr and not look like another wedding ring.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which, of course, I would have known already, if I actually read the text you wrote in you first post! Instead of just looking at the pictures! Bad P-R, bad! Sorry.

I think ring #1 is stunning.
No need to apologize! Thank you for weighing in.

Are you sure the first one is a true antique? Judging from the pic it looks like am antique style—meaning it’s a reproduction but it could just be the pic. If it is and the stone is livelier in person that gets my vote. I like the second also Bc I’m in love with elongated stones and would think it would make a sturdy rhr and not look like another wedding ring.
Well, it wouldn't be the first time I've been fooled! The seller is very reputable so I'll see who the appraiser is and what he/she says.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I have to admit that I edited my response because I didn't want to sway you from that first ring that you really love, but I did have reservations about that center diamond, I did also edit and revise because you have seen it in person so maybe it is not photographing well.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I have to admit that I edited my response because I didn't want to sway you from that first ring that you really love, but I did have reservations about that center diamond, I did also edit and revise because you have seen it in person so maybe it is not photographing well.

No worries! I have reservations about the center diamond as well. I don't know if it was in need of a good cleaning or not, but I'll definitely take a closer look before making a decision!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh good, I was so worried that my post would come across wrong or too negative. At least you can see it in person rather than having to rely on less than stellar pictures on EBay!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh good, I was so worried that my post would come across wrong or too negative. At least you can see it in person rather than having to rely on less than stellar pictures on EBay!

Not at all! I asked for opinions and I’m grateful for the honest replies. It’s helping sort out what I really want rather than making a very expensive mistake. =)2

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I really like the second option.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve been eying these two beauties and I can’t decide!

Option 1 is this antique OEC, possibly Edwardian. I’m waiting for the seller to provide the appraisal, but she’s definitely a warmer stone with dark inclusion. Eye clean though! Priced at $4,300 and she was very hard to take off!
2BA2D36A-FAFD-487A-A910-10614320FFA3.jpeg 1CC50608-9C51-440B-8AB6-A77B72431730.jpeg

Option 2 would be to work with Alex Park to recreate this Victorian beauty. He’s been selling similar pairs of elongated cushion cuts from $4-6,000 + cost of setting, so I would have a ring plus a diamond to spare. My engagement ring is a crisscut cushion so I know I like these types of cuts even though I haven’t tried this on before.
BE5E8ECC-CCE9-4884-AE32-A5DC40CF8AFF.png 352F2B20-F8FA-4878-A625-6BCC9C1B6A48.png

Which one of these screams “JPie” more?

How big is the center stone on option 1? I love it. I have a loose 0.75ct and I want to design a setting kind of like that. Something flowery.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s a little hard to tell in the photos, but the diamond in ring 1 does not look well cut at all. It lacks the distinct faceting I would expect and may be too shallow and thus not very lively. The setting is gorgeous though...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results