shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP ME PLEASE... find a Sapphire to replace my center stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Well after alot of thought about my new ring, I think I need to begin the search for a beautiful blue sapphire to replace the center stone.

I am a little overwhelmed at this point with all of it, so was hoping to get a few suggestions.

I love the color of LostSapphires Blueberry, but am a little uncertain on cut.

The sidestones in the ring will remain the same, step cut pears set in Plat and the sapphire would also be set in Plat.

I was wondering if I could get a few opinions on what cut would look best with the sides...round, cushion or step cut(EC or Asscher) would be my top choices.

Vendor suggestions???

Issues loading pics, will keep trying...

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Oh CCN, really? I''m sorry you don''t love the ring..it really is lovely.
I''m sorry I''m not very good with sapphires - I will let the pros help you.
Just thought I''d say I hope you find something to make you happy..will you keep the cushion? Change the RG?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Round and cushion would be my top choice. It''s very difficult to find a lovely step cut blue sapphire.
What''s the size and budget constraint you have?
Heated or non?

1.34cts
7.2 x 5.4mm emerald cut
Sri Lanka $1,250.
Description: Intense medium dark blue color, very well cut and polished, eye clean

http://www.steveperrygems.com/gems/ceylon.htm

cs23.jpg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 10:23:49 AM
Author: arjunajane
Oh CCN, really? I''m sorry you don''t love the ring..it really is lovely.

I''m sorry I''m not very good with sapphires - I will let the pros help you.

Just thought I''d say I hope you find something to make you happy..will you keep the cushion? Change the RG?

Thanks AJ-I is a beautiful ring, just not quit right for me!

I would be setting the sapphire in Plat and removing the whole center stone basket.

Keeping the cushion depends on what I can find for a sapphire center and it''s cost.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A cushion is best with pears. Rounds are all right too. Please let me know your budget and the mm measurement you are looking for.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 11:17:02 AM
Author: Chrono
Round and cushion would be my top choice. It''s very difficult to find a lovely step cut blue sapphire.

What''s the size and budget constraint you have?

Heated or non?

1.34cts

7.2 x 5.4mm emerald cut

Sri Lanka $1,250.

Description: Intense medium dark blue color, very well cut and polished, eye clean

http://www.steveperrygems.com/gems/ceylon.htm
It does seem tough to find a nice step cut blue sapphire and round also, so I figured that it would probably be a cushion that I''d end up with.

The current cushion center is 2.27ct, 9.19x8.14x4.26mm, so something similar in mearsurements would be nice. I''d like the budget to stay under $10K. I''m guessing I won''t find many nicely cut stones, that size, in my budget that aren''t heated---so I will probably have to compromise there to get the color I''d like---who knows though.

I actually love the EC sapphire you posted :)

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 12:36:26 PM
A cushion is best with pears. Rounds are all right too. Please let me know your budget and the mm measurement you are looking for.

Chrono-the pears are actually step cut, not brilliant cut---so that is why I also threw out the EC or Asscher cut sapphire.

2.27 cushion set7.jpg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I love the sides :)

2.27 cushion set8.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
9 x 8 mm ? What a honker. Off to look...
2.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Handshot for an idea of finger coverage.

2.27 cushion pear ring25.jpg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 12:47:41 PM
9 x 8 mm ? What a honker. Off to look...
2.gif

Thanks Chrono! The center is large, but I wear a size 7-so need the finger coverage...the sides are each 6.5x5.5mm :)

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 12:44:58 PM
Author: stepcutnut
I am LOVING those fat juicy pears!

Thank you stepcutnut for the shout out re: the blueberry. So kind of you.

I read your initial post where you expressed some reservations about the centre stone of your ring. And thought to myself: "She doesn't feel like it's right for her. She'll always not be 100% thrilled with how the ring turned out." (just my instincts talking here...)

A coloured centre stone? WOW. Have you seen SanDiegoLady's 3-stone? gorgeous blue bling.

May I ask a question? you mentioned below:

The current cushion center is 2.27ct, 9.19x8.14x4.26mm, so something similar in mearsurements would be nice. I'd like the budget to stay under $10K. I'm guessing I won't find many nicely cut stones, that size, in my budget that aren't heated---so I will probably have to compromise there to get the color I'd like---who knows though.

Are you thinking that $10K wouldn't be enough for just the centre stone? I think that is TOTALLY doable. The blueberry is 2.04 cts, unheated, cut by Jeff White (who ROCKS by the way). Nowhere near $10k. Why don't you contact him and ask if he can cut you something? There are also quite a few other cutters out there who could help you out, plus the many vendors posted on the sticky at the top of this section.

For what it's worth, here's what my husband says about my ring. Keep in mind, he's a guy. And one of those who just kinda looks at jewellry and the best he usually comes up with is "oh, that's a round stone"....
3.gif

Every morning we have breakfast and tea near a large picture window. And almost every day he makes a comment that "The blueberry is shooting arrows at me again!" He says when the light hits it he sees the arrows and sparkles it shoots out.THAT IS THE RESULT OF GREAT CUTTING. I know a lot of people don't put cut up as high as colour for gemstones, but for me, it's on a par with the colour. My sapphire has such incredible depth to it, and not just when I shine it "just so" into the sun, if you know what I mean.

I hope you can find the stone of your dreams, so that your ring comes to feel like perfection on your hands. It is gorgeous now, I love the shapes of the cushion and the FAT pears. But if it's not totally singing to you, it's time to keep looking until you can get it right.

Keep us posted on your search: treat it like a treasure hunt, that's really what it is! (get it right now, you're going to wear it for a LONG LONG time!).

LS

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm back after checking about 5 websites that I usually go to. Lots of lovely blue cushions but nothing 8 x 9 mm. It's really difficult to find something lovely with a specific measurement.
39.gif

I'm guessing you might need to go custom. $10K is plenty of money and should cover and with leftovers.

ETA
I just remembered tha Finewatergems has an oval unheated sapphire of the loveliest blue. It needs some cutting tweaking but he might be able to "reshape" it into a cushion. I'd drop him an email and ask. The worst he can say is that it's not adviseable. That sapphire is right on the webpage.
http://www.finewatergems.com/

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 1:01:47 PM
I''m back after checking about 5 websites that I usually go to. Lots of lovely blue cushions but nothing 8 x 9 mm. It''s really difficult to find something lovely with a specific measurement.
39.gif

I''m guessing you might need to go custom. $10K is plenty of money and should cover and with leftovers.
I''ll split the leftovers with you Chrono if you like!
31.gif

LS

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Couldn''t resist posting it here.
9.gif

unheatedoval.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2009 1:04:57 PM
Author: LostSapphire

I''m back after checking about 5 websites that I usually go to. Lots of lovely blue cushions but nothing 8 x 9 mm. It''s really difficult to find something lovely with a specific measurement.
39.gif

I''m guessing you might need to go custom. $10K is plenty of money and should cover and with leftovers.
I''ll split the leftovers with you Chrono if you like!
31.gif

LS
In this tough economic times, leftovers are always welcome.
11.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 12:59:39 PM
Author: LostSapphire
Date: 2/5/2009 12:44:58 PM

I am LOVING those fat juicy pears!

Thank you stepcutnut for the shout out re: the blueberry. So kind of you.

I read your initial post where you expressed some reservations about the centre stone of your ring. And thought to myself: ''She doesn''t feel like it''s right for her. She''ll always not be 100% thrilled with how the ring turned out.'' (just my instincts talking here...)

A coloured centre stone? WOW. Have you seen SanDiegoLady''s 3-stone? gorgeous blue bling.

May I ask a question? you mentioned below:

The current cushion center is 2.27ct, 9.19x8.14x4.26mm, so something similar in mearsurements would be nice. I''d like the budget to stay under $10K. I''m guessing I won''t find many nicely cut stones, that size, in my budget that aren''t heated---so I will probably have to compromise there to get the color I''d like---who knows though.

Are you thinking that $10K wouldn''t be enough for just the centre stone? I think that is TOTALLY doable. The blueberry is 2.04 cts, unheated, cut by Jeff White (who ROCKS by the way). Nowhere near $10k. Why don''t you contact him and ask if he can cut you something? There are also quite a few other cutters out there who could help you out, plus the many vendors posted on the sticky at the top of this section.

For what it''s worth, here''s what my husband says about my ring. Keep in mind, he''s a guy. And one of those who just kinda looks at jewellry and the best he usually comes up with is ''oh, that''s a round stone''....
3.gif

Every morning we have breakfast and tea near a large picture window. And almost every day he makes a comment that ''The blueberry is shooting arrows at me again!'' He says when the light hits it he sees the arrows and sparkles it shoots out.THAT IS THE RESULT OF GREAT CUTTING. I know a lot of people don''t put cut up as high as colour for gemstones, but for me, it''s on a par with the colour. My sapphire has such incredible depth to it, and not just when I shine it ''just so'' into the sun, if you know what I mean.

I hope you can find the stone of your dreams, so that your ring comes to feel like perfection on your hands. It is gorgeous now, I love the shapes of the cushion and the FAT pears. But if it''s not totally singing to you, it''s time to keep looking until you can get it right.

Keep us posted on your search: treat it like a treasure hunt, that''s really what it is! (get it right now, you''re going to wear it for a LONG LONG time!).

LS

Thanks LS-Blueberry is fabulous!!! One of my all time favorites! Jeff did a fantastic job, especially if it gets the hubby to make comments on it :)

I love the step cut pears, I''ve had them for a little while-try to find the perfect center stone to set them with. I knew that they had to be set into a ring for me to gaze at them, most thought that they would make great drop earrings(which I think they would too) but I wouldn''t be able to look at them all the time if they were on my ears! :) I was so hoping that the ring would begin to whisper at me this weekend and it just hasn''t, so I knew that I needed to change something about it, but have been confused as to which way to go with it!!! I too think I just need to get it right, it means so much to me that I don''t want to have any reservations about it!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
39.gif

ETA

I just remembered tha Finewatergems has an oval unheated sapphire of the loveliest blue. It needs some cutting tweaking but he might be able to ''reshape'' it into a cushion. I''d drop him an email and ask. The worst he can say is that it''s not adviseable. That sapphire is right on the webpage.

http://www.finewatergems.com/
Thanks for looking Chrono! It is tough to find a stone with specific measurements that is ''right''!!! I did see that oval and it does have lovely color! Leftovers are always good, esp. the $$$ kind :)

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Thanks SDL!!! I really wish that it would just start singing to me, because I think that it really is lovely-darn it!

The side stones are really wonderful, I too had never seen anything like them-so I just had to snatch them up(even though they were a ridiculous price).

Thanks for the hugs, no one near me really gets what my issue with the ring is and that is really frustrating too---I knew PS''ers would understand though and steer me in the right direction :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2009 1:23:09 PM
Thanks SDL!!! I really wish that it would just start singing to me, because I think that it really is lovely-darn it!

The side stones are really wonderful, I too had never seen anything like them-so I just had to snatch them up(even though they were a ridiculous price).

Thanks for the hugs, no one near me really gets what my issue with the ring is and that is really frustrating too---I knew PS''ers would understand though and steer me in the right direction :)
We do understand, that''s why we are helping you spend your money on the sapphire.
3.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I have GOT to find out how to get a step cut pear. What the heck, that would be like my dream stone!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the cushion stone and the pear sides are just yummy. If I may be honest, I can see why you are not in love with the ring as a hole. Have you considered having David slant the sidestones a little bit more so they look less like wings. I say this because I don''t like how my pear sidestones are next to my cushion. I am hoping to have Leon redo my ring in the near future. He has a knack for how sidestones should be set...not to mention those gorgeous claw shaped prongs!!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 1:24:54 PM
Date: 2/5/2009 1:23:09 PM

We do understand, that''s why we are helping you spend your money on the sapphire.
3.gif

That''s the best way to spend $$$, when it is someone elses!!!
9.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 2:07:11 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
I have GOT to find out how to get a step cut pear. What the heck, that would be like my dream stone!
They are a pretty funky cut
21.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 5:40:11 PM
Author: cushioncutnut
I think the cushion stone and the pear sides are just yummy. If I may be honest, I can see why you are not in love with the ring as a hole. Have you considered having David slant the sidestones a little bit more so they look less like wings. I say this because I don''t like how my pear sidestones are next to my cushion. I am hoping to have Leon redo my ring in the near future. He has a knack for how sidestones should be set...not to mention those gorgeous claw shaped prongs!!

CCN-unless I find a slightly smaller center stone, I don''t think that I could have the sides slanted, they are to the edge of my finger the way it is and I HATE having my rings poke me!!! I don''t think that they could even be set any lower or they would also be jabbing me all the time. I don''t like sides stones that are set slightly under the centereither-seems like a waist to me to lose part of the face up size of them. So, that being said I am not sure what could be done to change the wingy look of the sides!!!

Good luck with LM-he certainly does lovely work, but is such a bear to deal with---down right rude in my opinion!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2009 10:07:43 AM

I think the cushion stone and the pear sides are just yummy. If I may be honest, I can see why you are not in love with the ring as a hole. Have you considered having David slant the sidestones a little bit more so they look less like wings. I say this because I don't like how my pear sidestones are next to my cushion. I am hoping to have Leon redo my ring in the near future. He has a knack for how sidestones should be set...not to mention those gorgeous claw shaped prongs!!

CCN-unless I find a slightly smaller center stone, I don't think that I could have the sides slanted, they are to the edge of my finger the way it is and I HATE having my rings poke me!!! I don't think that they could even be set any lower or they would also be jabbing me all the time. I don't like sides stones that are set slightly under the centereither-seems like a waist to me to lose part of the face up size of them. So, that being said I am not sure what could be done to change the wingy look of the sides!!!

Good luck with LM-he certainly does lovely work, but is such a bear to deal with---down right rude in my opinion!

I understand... I was just trying to pinpoint what exactly it is that you are not like about the ring. Is it the way it flows? I was talking about a slight slant...nothing over the top or that would poke you. Sorry if this came across as overly critical. I personally have talked with Leon on several occassions. I can see where people might take him the wrong way....but I never felt in any way he was rude.

ETA: I am all for a sapphire center stone!!! I hope you find something DREAMY! Have fun with your search!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 11:28:33 AM
Date: 2/6/2009 10:07:43 AM

I think the cushion stone and the pear sides are just yummy. If I may be honest, I can see why you are not in love with the ring as a hole. Have you considered having David slant the sidestones a little bit more so they look less like wings. I say this because I don't like how my pear sidestones are next to my cushion. I am hoping to have Leon redo my ring in the near future. He has a knack for how sidestones should be set...not to mention those gorgeous claw shaped prongs!!

CCN-unless I find a slightly smaller center stone, I don't think that I could have the sides slanted, they are to the edge of my finger the way it is and I HATE having my rings poke me!!! I don't think that they could even be set any lower or they would also be jabbing me all the time. I don't like sides stones that are set slightly under the centereither-seems like a waist to me to lose part of the face up size of them. So, that being said I am not sure what could be done to change the wingy look of the sides!!!

I understand... I was just trying to pinpoint what exactly it is that you are not like about the ring. Is it the way it flows? I was talking about a slight slant...nothing over the top or that would poke you. Sorry if this came across as overly critical. I personally have talked with Leon on several occassions. I can see where people might take him the wrong way....but I never felt in any way he was rude.

ETA: I am all for a sapphire center stone!!! I hope you find something DREAMY! Have fun with your search!

CCN-nope, didn't come across as critical at all---just not sure how I would change the wings on the ring(even a slight slant would make the sides poke my fingers-I sometimes get poked the way it is)!

I really think that it is the lack of contrast between the center and the sides, the center really matches my own skin tone too much also.

So, I kind of came to the conclusion that the ring either needed to be all white or have a center stone with alot of contrast.

The all white was posing a problem, so I think I've moved onto a blue sapphire center.

I too have spoke with LM personally on several occasions and he was very short and quit rude---I love his work, not his attitude-so I put my project on hold with him for awhile!

I have seen several lovely blue sapphires, but am going to have to wait on pricing on a few of them.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2009 12:53:41 PM

CCN-nope, didn''t come across as critical at all---just not sure how I would change the wings on the ring(even a slight slant would make the sides poke my fingers-I sometimes get poked the way it is)!

I really think that it is the lack of contrast between the center and the sides, the center really matches my own skin tone too much also.

So, I kind of came to the conclusion that the ring either needed to be all white or have a center stone with alot of contrast.

The all white was posing a problem, so I think I''ve moved onto a blue sapphire center.

I too have spoke with LM personally on several occasions and he was very short and quit rude---I love his work, not his attitude-so I put my project on hold with him for awhile!

I have seen several lovely blue sapphires, but am going to have to wait on pricing on a few of them.
I kept coming back to this thread thinking "I love this ring - I wonder why SCN doesn''t love it" and it just wasn''t making sense until I read about the colour matching your skin and now I TOTALLY understand. What an absolute shame because the cushion is stunning stunning stunning. Have you thought of putting it in a halo at a later date of either chocolate brown or white diamonds so that there''s not such much of the cushion''s colour next to your skin?

I adore the step pear cuts - lucky you - and think a sapphire will be obscenely beautiful in between them! I can''t wait to see the finished ring so you''ve got to find a sapphire soon
emwink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results