shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Please Asscher vs Princess

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

good1

Rough_Rock
Looking at 2 different stones, both of which are EGL usa E, 1.5, SI1 and cant decide between a princess cut or asscher. The ring is more of a antique style....any thoughts or anyone have pics of a similar ring. The gf likes a classic setting but likes the sparkle of the princess cut....help me, please.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I''m an asscher fan, but in this case I think you should go with the princess because:

1. She seems to be a girl who loves sparkles--asschers are not a sparkle kind of cut.
2. The stone is graded as an SI1 by EGL which means you can probably see the inclusions on the asscher (as with all step cuts). The inclusions are better hidden in a princess cut.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2007 9:26:27 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
I''m an asscher fan, but in this case I think you should go with the princess because:

1. She seems to be a girl who loves sparkles--asschers are not a sparkle kind of cut.

2. The stone is graded as an SI1 by EGL which means you can probably see the inclusions on the asscher (as with all step cuts). The inclusions are better hidden in a princess cut.

I concur with NEL.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your GF wants a princess cut stone, please get her a princess cut stone. A step cut asscher has very different faceting so even though it is also a squarish cut stone, it has a very different kind of sparkle; a very understated kind of flash.

gtn

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the others, if your gf wants a princess cut, you should get her a princess cut. Cut style is very personal and since she will be the one wearing it, go with preferences.

good1

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all…here’s the dilemma, she has never seen an asscher…she’s only seen a friend of ours princess cut…thoughts on the brilliance/differences of the 2 cuts?

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
Asscher is a very specific taste, which some people are crazy about, while others are just "meh." As mentioned above, it is not as sparkly as a princess cut. To play it safe, since she''s expressed a preference for princess, go with princess. Honestly, I''d think about going with an asscher for an upgrade at a future date. It is a very sophisticated look, more cool water and elegant flash than fiery sparkle. If you''re younger, sparkle is probably more what she''d be inclined toward. A princess''s sparkle equates to good light return, which is a brilliant, whiter-appearing stone.

As far as thinking she''s never seen an asscher before, I''d be surprised if she hasn''t had good exposure to various diamond shapes, enough to allow her to develop a preference. Diamonds are everywhere, in magazines, on celebrities, on the hands of friends and family, on display in various forms of jewelry at most social gatherings, etc. Most women have given more than a passing thought to what they like.

Also, again noted above, you''re looking at an EGL cert, which can be far off the mark for color and clarity. Both are going to be much more noticeable in a clear step cut like an asscher. I''d be nervous about doing an EGL SI in an asscher cut.

Jenna51580gr

Shiny_Rock
If your girlfriend want''s sparkle than she should go for a Princess Cut or Square Radiant, an Ascher is very nice but not as sparkly.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results