shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me pick!

ginsg

Rough_Rock
Hi I am looking at one of the following two stones for an engagement ring!

Would anyone with some knowledge be able to advise me on which one is better?

Diamond 1: https://www.igi.org/verify-your-report/?r=LG589398004
Carat Weight0.61 Carat
Color GradeD
Clarity GradeVS 1
Cut GradeIDEAL

Diamond 2: https://www.igi.org/verify-your-report/?r=LG550236383
Carat Weight0.66 Carat
Color GradeE
Clarity GradeVS 1
Cut GradeEXCELLENT

They are similarly priced. Would the HCA be useful here? What is the difference between Ideal and excellent?

Thank you!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not liking the look of either of these. The first one is not cut very well, and the second one has too shallow of a pavilion angle. I usually recommend looking at stones with close to these parameters.

depth 60-62.4%
table 54-58%
crown angle 34-35 degrees (can go up to 35.5 if paired with 40.6 pavilion)
pavilion angle 40.6-40.9 degrees

Generally, a shallower crown angle will pair better with a steeper pavilion angle and vice versa.

We can help you search if you provide your budget and let us know whether you're in the US.

ginsg

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the insight! How do you tell that the cut is not great in the first one? Is it by those numbers that you listed?

I am looking for something in the USD400-500 range, 0.6-0.7 carat, located in Australia.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I'm not liking the look of either of these. The first one is not cut very well, and the second one has too shallow of a pavilion angle. I usually recommend looking at stones with close to these parameters.

depth 60-62.4%
table 54-58%
crown angle 34-35 degrees (can go up to 35.5 if paired with 40.6 pavilion)
pavilion angle 40.6-40.9 degrees

Generally, a shallower crown angle will pair better with a steeper pavilion angle and vice versa.

We can help you search if you provide your budget and let us know whether you're in the US.

Agreed.
Here are the videos for both, ginsg:

I'd say tighten up the proportions even more, then assess for material quality, cut precision, and optics:

PA: 40.6-40.8°
CA: 34.5-35°
TW: 54-56%

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the insight! How do you tell that the cut is not great in the first one? Is it by those numbers that you listed?

I am looking for something in the USD400-500 range, 0.6-0.7 carat, located in Australia.

If you're able to buy from overseas, LooseGrownDiamond ships worldwide and has very competitive pricing. I recommend this diamond.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
@Kim N, that's a gorgeous one at a great price!

ginsg

Rough_Rock
If you're able to buy from overseas, LooseGrownDiamond ships worldwide and has very competitive pricing. I recommend this diamond.

Wow! That diamond looks great and at such a great price too. I'm getting my ring from CustomMade.com so I'm hoping they'll be able to accommodate sourcing diamonds from this website.

Thanks for your recommendation :D

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Are you using a setting from CustonMade? If they don't match the LooseGrown price, is it possible to have a local jeweler do your setting?

It can depend on how complicated/straighforward your setting is. Excited for you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results