shape
carat
color
clarity

help me pick the perfect engagement diamond!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

out2dasea

Rough_Rock
So, my girlfriend of 9 years finally deserves an upgrade in status!
first question, after going through some of the friend connections who have family members who are diamond wholesalers, i realized that there are better deals to find a diamond online. The diamond i almost bought was a 1.52ca, round Ideal cut hearts and arrows, SI2 that looked great, EGL cert and color F. After reading on the forums about EGL certs, i decided to stay away from diamonds with that cert.

How safe is it to buy a certified diamond online without being able to see it? I would plan to find a local jeweler to mount the diamond in LA.

Now for a diamond search, what I know I want is a round ideal cut diamond, F or better in color and SI2 or better in clarity. heres the specs of one that i found online that may be a good deal.what do you think, what do you recommend?

PRICE- 8600 good?
Shape:Round
Weight:1.5 carat
Cut:Ideal
Color:F
Clarity:SI2
Laboratory:GIA
Measurements:7.43-7.48x4.46mm
Depth:59.8%
Table:58%
Girdle:Thin to Medium
Culet:NONE
Polish:EXCELLENT
Symmetry:VERY GOOD
Certificate No:17456347
Fluorescence:NONE

HCA scores
Factor Grade
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread Excellent
Score .9

Thanks for your help

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks good. Just check to make sure it is eye-clean.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if you're buying from a vendor who has the stone in-house and they can provide you with magnified photos of the stone so you can see the inclusions, then fine. But if this is a virtual stone and they can't provide you with pictures or an ideal scope image, then I'd pass. SI2 is risky IMO unless you buy from someone who'll verify the stone is really eyeclean from the top AND the sides if the stone is going to able to be seen from the side once set.

Oh, and we wouldn't have a clue whether it was even worth pursuing without the crown and pavilion angles. (HCA scores look good, so the numbers are porobably okay, though.)

I think it is very safe to buy truly ideal cut stones with good clarity online as long as the cert is GIA or AGS.

out2dasea

Rough_Rock
heres another
http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-e-color-si1-clarity_LD01473607?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=0
HCA
Factor Grade
Light Return Very Good
Fire Very Good
Scintillation Very Good
Spread Very Good
score 2.7

bradg

Rough_Rock
I would make sure the SI2 is 100% eye clean as the inclusions in a SI stone can vary quite a bit in terms of the size, shape color and location. For example you would be much better off having a white feather for example on the edge of the stone rather than a black carbon crystal right in the center of the table.
I''d also definitely suggest sticking with a GIA cert. An EGL cert will be off at least one color and clarity grade so the EGL F SI2 you saw would most likely get an imperfect clarity grade if sent to the GIA.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 7:23:14 PM
Author:out2dasea
So, my girlfriend of 9 years finally deserves an upgrade in status!
first question, after going through some of the friend connections who have family members who are diamond wholesalers, i realized that there are better deals to find a diamond online. The diamond i almost bought was a 1.52ca, round Ideal cut hearts and arrows, SI2 that looked great, EGL cert and color F. After reading on the forums about EGL certs, i decided to stay away from diamonds with that cert.

How safe is it to buy a certified diamond online without being able to see it? I would plan to find a local jeweler to mount the diamond in LA.

Now for a diamond search, what I know I want is a round ideal cut diamond, F or better in color and SI2 or better in clarity. heres the specs of one that i found online that may be a good deal.what do you think, what do you recommend?

PRICE- 8600 good?
Shape:Round
Weight:1.5 carat
Cut:Ideal
Color:F
Clarity:SI2
Laboratory:GIA
Measurements:7.43-7.48x4.46mm
Depth:59.8%
Table:58%
Girdle:Thin to Medium
Culet:NONE
Polish:EXCELLENT
Symmetry:VERY GOOD
Certificate No:17456347
Fluorescence:NONE

HCA scores
Factor Grade
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread Excellent
Score .9

Thanks for your help
Can you post the crown and pavilion angles for this diamond please?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results