shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me pick something for my mother...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TTT

Rough_Rock
Okay - I have the FUN job of buying a present for my mother''s sixtieth birthday.
9.gif
My sisters and I have narrowed our selection down to these options:

1) Three stone round brilliant ring: 0.6 centre stone, 0.4 side stones, G-H, VS1-2 (all H&A) set in platinum (four pronged) from the jeweller that we got my e-ring from. It''s beautiful! Very simple and classic.

2) Eternity ring from Tiffany: Not entirely sure yet, but we could either go with the shared prong or channel set probably around 3mm width (so TCW will depend on whether it is shared prong or channel set). I know pricescopers hate Tiffany but we think she may like to have something from there. She asked me twice if a bracelet I had was from Tiffany a couple of months ago (it wasn''t by the way - it was from my local jewellers).

We really want something that she will wear everyday. She''s not very flashy and currently wears a diamond solitare (about 3/4 carat) as her e-ring and doesn''t wear a wedding band. So we figured that she could wear the eternity ring as a set with her existing ring. But we also think that it would be nice also to give her something more substantial as it is a big birthday! And perhaps she could wear it as a RHR and think of her three daughters? She is about a size 5 finger-wise so I think the 3 stone won''t be too large. But it isn''t from Tiffany which she might like very much.

What do you think? I know this is more of a personal preference type question rather than one on diamond specs...hope it is okay that I post it here.

I really want to get her something BEAUTIFUL but more importantly something that she will enjoy everyday. And we don''t want to present her with the options as she''ll say it''s all too expensive and not to get her anything - but she''s such a wonderful woman she deserves a wonderful present! If it were me I would go for the 3 stone, but then I like all the big sparkles
30.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Buy her a wedding ring. She could wear that every day. I get the sense that she might consider a "large" diamond ring on each hand as a little too flashy for daily wear.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I vote for an eternity ring! I think it''d be a beautiful gift that she''d wear daily without it looking too much like an anniversary ring.

Now, I won''t bash Tiffany (they have lots of beautiful jewelry!) but I thought I''d post an alternative JUST in case:

Facets (Signed Pieces) Eternity Bands

They''ve made many a PSer happy and their quality, from what I''ve heard, is absolutely amazing. It''ll also be quite a bit less than something from Tiffany, affording you and your sisters an opportunity to get her something bigger if you''d like.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
If she''s a Tiffany fan, I''d get the eternity ring BUT I''d get it with alternating colored stones (for more impact) or with large enough diamonds so that it really seems like a special big b-day present. If you gals can''t find anything at Tiffany without your price range that is, uh, blingy enough then I''d go with the 3-stone.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How nice that you're shopping for your mother's 60th birthday. I'm sure whatever you get her, she'll be thrilled with. I'm not going to offer advice as I don't know her and I think you should get her what your heart says will put a BIG smile on her face. But I did want to comment on your comment that PS'ers are anti-Tiffany. I really don't that's the case. Tiffany represents excellent quality. Albeit, at hefty prices, but their jewelery is usually top notch. And given the opportunity (meaning there's a Tiffany in our home towns), I'll be many of us PS'ers look at the stones in Tiffany often (I do at least).

If you think a Tiffany ring will make her happy, don't worry what anyone on this forum thinks. Get what you think will make her really happy!

Best wishes and I hope she has a wonderful 60th Birthday.
36.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think a colored eternity band would be cool. A three stone ring or even a wedding band seems like a gift that should be given from the husband, not the kids, but that''s just old-fashioned me. Maybe get her a mother''s ring of some kind or have stones with you and your sisters birthstones? Out of the options you presented I say f she doesn''t wear a lot of blingy jewelry a classy eternity band is always very nice
1.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I vote for the Tiffany eternity ring. Sounds like something special she would treasure and wear every day.

TTT

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for all your posts everyone - and so quickly too!
1.gif

It''s really great to be able to get a fresh perspective on things - I wanted to make sure I was getting her something she wanted rather than perhaps something I would like - and I think you all are right an eternity ring would be just the thing. And hopefully she''ll be able to wear it comfortably every day
36.gif

Colour is a great idea - I''ll speak with my sisters and see what they think!

EBree - thanks for all the alternatives - I think a band from signed pieces would be fabulous too, but we''ve left it just too late and I only have time to go to our local Tiffany to pick something up. The Simon G rings are gorgeous!

Rod - ooops, I didn''t mean to group everyone into the same category, but I just got the feeling sometimes that some PS''ers think (and I do too) that Tiffany is a bit expensive and you pay a bit more for the brand. Hope you weren''t offended! I love a good wander around Tiffany too.

Thanks again everyone!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Oh, EBree, that Simon G is one of my all-time favorites!!!!
30.gif
It is super wide though, and someone with a size 5 finger might find that uncomfortable. The same for the Tiff Voile.

I have a Tiff Etoile which is about 3 mm, and it feels like butter on the finger. That would make a great gift.

ETA: I got my Tiff Etoile on eBay, mint/new condition, verified to be authentic at Tiffs, and paid about half the original price.
31.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
By all means get the eternity band. She can either wear it with her diamond or on her right hand. I would think a 60th birthday calls for a really nice piece; she obviously knows about Tiffany''s as she has inquired about other pieces and would probably appreciate having something from them.

That''s my .02 - let us know what you decide and good luck!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Believe me, I wasn''t offended at all. I didn''t buy from Tiffany. But my diamond look''s like one I could have bought from Tiffany. I just wanted you to know that not everyone is anti-Tiffany. I think for many, Tiffany offers without question, better quality than one could find in any "chain-maul" store (like Zales or Kay). And for many, the ease of purchase and knowledge that a quality piece was purchased can be worth it.

Good luck with the ring and I''m sure your mother will be thrilled.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2006 6:52:09 PM
Author: MissGotRocks
By all means get the eternity band. She can either wear it with her diamond or on her right hand. I would think a 60th birthday calls for a really nice piece; she obviously knows about Tiffany''s as she has inquired about other pieces and would probably appreciate having something from them.

That''s my .02 - let us know what you decide and good luck!
Ditto, I bet she would be thrilled with it!! But as mentioned take a look at www.signedpieces.com as well. I have both. SP is just as good quality wise and a lot less expensive. But for a 60th birthday, that little blue box says a lot too. Go with your gut. I think you are so sweet to do this for your mom.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results