shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me pick my (almost) forever pearls!!! Text/pic heavy

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
It took awhile due to issues I had with FedEx, but the pearls I ordered are finally here (background in this post: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/are-freshadamas-worth-the-extra-cost.219840/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/are-freshadamas-worth-the-extra-cost.219840/[/URL]). Off the bat, I realized that size and luster are important to me. Shape, not so much. All the pearls I ordered are AA, other than a strand of Freshadamas, and I really don't see that much of a shape difference between the AA and Freshadamas (or, at least not enough to stand out to me). The problem is that despite that realization, I cannot figure out with ones I want to keep. :rolleyes: I would LOVE to hear what you all think!!!

Basically, I'm trying to decide between the following:
- 8.5-9mm FW, silver overtone
- 8-8.5mm metallics, silver overtone
- 7.5-8mm Freshadamas, silver-rose overtone
- 7-8mm metallics, silver-rose overtone

I've been trying to narrow it down, very unsuccessfully. The 8.5-9mm are definitely in the running - I definitely like that size the best. I like the luster and overtones of the Freshadamas and 7-8mm metallics the best. I also honestly can't tell much of a size difference between the 8-8.5mm, 7.5-8mm, and 7-8mm. So, with all that in mind, my thinking has been going something like this: I should go for the Freshadamas because they're the creme de la creme for FW, and I love the luster. But I also love the luster of the 7-8mm metallics and can't tell a size difference, so maybe I should go for the 7-8mm metallics and save some money. But size is also important to me, so maybe I should go for the 8-8.5mm metallics since they're they have the luster/metallic look I like and they're the next biggest. But, the 8-8.5mm don't look that much bigger than the other two, to me, and they look much smaller than the 8.5-9mm FW, and since I value size, maybe I should go for the 8.5-9mm FW. But, I don't like the luster on those as much...I mean, I do like the luster, but it didn't wow me the way the luster on the Freshadamas and 7.5-8mm metallics did. But maybe that doesn't matter because I'm not sure I can really tell differences in luster when I'm actually wearing them. But maybe it does matter, and I should think about the Freshadamas again...

And then my thought process just goes back to the beginning, around and around in circles. Clearly I'm getting nowhere. :oops: I really want to make the "right" decision because these will probably be the only pearls I buy in a very long time. I just don't change my jewelry around enough to really justify buying more than one strand of classic pearls.

Enough with the rambling, on with the pictures! These aren't the best - I only had my old iPad available, and I failed (though I tried) at keeping all the pictures at the same angle/distance. Hopefully they give an idea of things though.

From L-R: My current (not so great) pearls; 7.5-8mm Freshadamas; 8-8.5mm metallics;7-8mm metallics; 8.5-9mm FW
all.jpg

From top to bottom: 7-8mm metallics; 8-8.5mm metallics; 7.5-8mm Freshadamas; 8.5-9mm FW; My current (not so great) pearls
all2.jpg

From L-R: My current (not so great) pearls; 8.5-9mm FW; 8-8.5mm metallics
picmonkey_collage_1.jpg

From L-R: 7.5-8mm Freshadama; 7-8mm metallics; all on the neck (from top to bottom is 7-8mm metallics; 7.5-8mm Freshadamas; 8-8.5mm metallics; 8.5-9mm FW)
picmonkey_collage2.jpg

My current pearls, while not the greatest, are of a size that I've gotten used to, and it's honestly a bit hard for me to imagine going smaller than those. Which would make one think that the 8.5-9mm FW are the clear choice. But then I think about the luster of the others, and I'm pulled into the never-ending, circular debate in my head. I just don't know what to go with! I GREATLY welcome any thoughts/advice, and if you've made it this far, thank you!!!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Help me pick my (almost) forever pearls!!! Text/pic heav

My opinion:
Get the 7-8mm metallics, whose luster you love. There is nothing stopping you from wearing your current strand (which is not bad, really) on those days when you feel like going larger.

Try this: Imagine sending each one back. Which one would you feel saddest letting go of? That is the one to keep.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock

Instead of trying to pick your favorite, try weeding them out one at a time. Pick your least favorite, and take it out of the running. Keep doing this until you're down to one strand.

Also, if you really really like a particular size, realize that there are many more strands in that type and size. They just didn't mail them to you. If you really want the bigger pearls, but are not sold on the luster of that particular strand, ask the vendor if they can search for a better strand in that size for you. They just got back from Hong Kong trip, and may have new strands of pearls to pick from. Don't be shy. It's your money.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock

From what you've said, it sounds to me like any of those strands would be a compromise for you and that's why you can't decide.

Whenever I've settled for pearls that weren't truly the ones my heart desired, my good financial intentions backfired because they were soon just left in the jewelry box and not worn.

If I understood you correctly, then I would send back all of them and get what I really wanted, even if I had to wait or figure out a way to get the extra pearl money guilt-free. I wouldn't be surprised if there's another nice discount coming up for Mother's Day, which would help a bit too.

What would you say if asked what pearls you'd be happiest with? Maybe 8.5-9.0mm freshadamas (or equivalent gem grade from another vendor?) Granted, they cost over twice as much but IDK, personally I feel like I'm too much in the habit of nickel-and-diming my spending money away so I'm trying to pay more attention and end up with fewer but nicer things. I'll shut up now because I'm probably really just a bad influence ha ha. In any case, good luck!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree,

Don't settle if none of them call to you. I have too many strands in my jewelry box that I have compromised on for one reason or another....and I can tell you that I regret each and every one of them. I wish I had saved my money and held out for what I really wanted, because when you get something that makes your heart sing, you will know it. Otherwise you will either spend more money later upgrading to what you really wanted the first time, or you will 'make do' with something that is not quite right. Neither is a great option IMO.

If you have decided that you are not sensitive to shape, and instead love luster, you may find that a metallic AAA strand in your preferred size range is in your budget. Or even a metallic AA strand which will be slightly more off-round, but just as lustrous as you can see in what you have. Or, if you want shape and luster, it's worth it to save the extra for the higher quality pearl. It will take longer to be able to buy it, but you will be happier in the end.

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock

Thanks all! I've been thinking about it, and I think I'm going to do with BWeaves suggested and see if maybe I can get a strand of 8.5-9mm FW with silver-rose overtones. Overtones seemed like such a small thing to me, and I didn't think there would be all that much of a difference between silver and silver-rose, but I think it's that hint of pink that's luring me to the Freshadamas and 7-8mm metallics. I feel like it's kind of an obnoxious request, but I agree, it's really not worth settling.

I actually think 8.5-9mm metallics would be amazing, but the metallics don't seem to be available in that size. Before I got them, I actually thought the 8-8.5mm metallics would be the one. I'm really surprised at how little of a difference there seems to be from the 7-8mm and 8-8.5mm metallics, and how big of a difference there seems to be from the 8-8.5mm metallics and 8.5-9mm FWs. So much so that actually, I think I'm going to ask them about it because although my order form says 7-8mm and 8-8.5mm metallics, the boxes they came in were hand-labeled with what was inside and both boxes of metallics were labelled as 7-8mm metallics. I initially thought it was just a labeling error, but I'm wondering if it's possible that they actually sent me two 7-8mm strands by accident? I seems unlikely, but I honestly can only tell them apart by their clasps.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

I love this thread! I'm actually considering purchasing a strand of pearls and am tossing up between metallics and freshadama.

How would you compare the roundness of the pearls in each strand? Is there a noticeable difference?

Also that's strange about the sizes! Let us know what they say.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock

There is no such thing as an obnoxious request. It's your money, and you are dealing long distance, and the vendors know that. They have a good return policy, and they are happy to work with you because they know you'll be a return customer if they make you happy in the end.

I've bought and returned lots of strands before I finally settled on the winner. Shipping and crediting your credit card are done so fast nowadays, that I don't worry too much about it. It all nets out before the next credit card bill is usually due.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Do ask PP about a higher luster strand in the size that you desire. It's definitely worth asking.

I will say this, though: over the years of posting here and on the other forum, it seems to me that often people have to spend a bit more than they originally anticipated in order to get everything they want in a strand.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

pearlsngems|1457565174|4002278 said:
Do ask PP about a higher luster strand in the size that you desire. It's definitely worth asking.

I will say this, though: over the years of posting here and on the other forum, it seems to me that often people have to spend a bit more than they originally anticipated in order to get everything they want in a strand.

This has been the case for me, but I have never been disappointed.

I would price out EXACTLY what you want, and see if it is higher or lower. Also Mothers Day is coming up and a lot of the online vendors have really nice sales around that time. You may be able to save up, or wait for then to choose your pearls and get a nice discount.

I wouldn't settle though. I mean if there was one thing that was super important to you (say luster, shape or size) then settling for other things without settling for something like that would be ok (or would be something I would do) BUT if these are your forever pearls I would definitely make sure its something you will be excited to wear and love. So waiting a little bit longer or spending little bit more may be best.

However all the strands are very pretty! I am really loving the 8.5-9mm metallics

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, I agree.

One more thing I've observed is that it's hard to stop with just one strand. I set off to buy one, back in 2007, and here I am over 8 years later with... never mind how many! :lol:

If you have been bitten by the pearl bug, this will likely be the first of many. =)

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

pearlsngems|1457565174|4002278 said:

I agree. Anyway pp should be getting new stocks from the recent Hong Kong trip. No harm asking.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock

BWeaves|1457530378|4001987 said:
Instead of trying to pick your favorite, try weeding them out one at a time. Pick your least favorite, and take it out of the running. Keep doing this until you're down to one strand.

This method works for me, too.

I say, keep the 8.5-9mm. If you keep the 7-8mm, you'll just end up buying larger pearls down the road. It's called PSS on this forum. :D

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock

ennui said:
BWeaves|1457530378|4001987 said:

This method works for me, too.

I say, keep the 8.5-9mm. If you keep the 7-8mm, you'll just end up buying larger pearls down the road. It's called PSS on this forum. :D

I started doing this, and it's helping! The 8-8.5mm metallics are out of the running...I see no discernible size difference and they're not my favorite luster. One decision made! :D I'm stilling emailing them about the size confusion though, and I'm still emailing about a possible higher luster 8.5-9mm strand because you never know. At this point though, I'm really strongly leaning toward keeping the 8.5-9mm strands. I think I just need some time to collect my thoughts and work it through...I was a little overwhelmed when I first got the package. :lol:

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock

ricezo|1457556158|4002204 said:
I love this thread! I'm actually considering purchasing a strand of pearls and am tossing up between metallics and freshadama.

How would you compare the roundness of the pearls in each strand? Is there a noticeable difference?

Hi Ricezo! I think the 7-8mm metallics are the most off-round, but I also ordered those in AA, not AAA. That was the only strand where I could really notice the off-roundness though (although it doesn't actually bother me). The freshadamas are obviously the most round, and the 8-8.5mm metallics and 8.5-9mm FWs look pretty darn round to my eyes, even though those are also only AA. I don't think you can go wrong with either the metallics or the freshadamas!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

girlyglam|1457636196|4002804 said:
ricezo|1457556158|4002204 said:

Hi Ricezo! I think the 7-8mm metallics are the most off-round, but I also ordered those in AA, not AAA. That was the only strand where I could really notice the off-roundness though (although it doesn't actually bother me). The freshadamas are obviously the most round, and the 8-8.5mm metallics and 8.5-9mm FWs look pretty darn round to my eyes, even though those are also only AA. I don't think you can go wrong with either the metallics or the freshadamas!

Thanks girlyglam that's very helpful! Looking forward to seeing your forever pearls!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock

What happened with this? Was a decision made?

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock

Hi Ennui! Thanks for asking! I emailed asking about a higher luster strand in silver-rose overtones for the 8.5-9mm FWs, and they said they can certainly see if they have anything in stock. So I sent them all back and hopefully will be doing an exchange with the 8.5-9mm FW for higher luster/silver-rose overtones. Just sent them out earlier this week, so I'm in the waiting process right now.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh yay! I was wondering where things had ended up too. I hope they can find you something great!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

girlyglam|1458329697|4007529 said:
Hi Ennui! Thanks for asking! I emailed asking about a higher luster strand in silver-rose overtones for the 8.5-9mm FWs, and they said they can certainly see if they have anything in stock. So I sent them all back and hopefully will be doing an exchange with the 8.5-9mm FW for higher luster/silver-rose overtones. Just sent them out earlier this week, so I'm in the waiting process right now.

I think you will be happier with the outcome!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I think it was wise to send them all back...as was noted above..you were compromising on the strands and that's not necessary. It was good to see them all in person though as it helped to cement what you think is important for the strand you will eventually buy. And, keep in mind you can always wait a month or two and add a bit more to the pearl fund if you want larger ones. Get exactly what you want...or at least as close as you can get ;))

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock

Back with an update! So, it's down to these two options...I know it's all personal preferences, but any thoughts as to which is preferable? Both strands are the same size. I'm not shape sensitive but value high luster and am looking for silver-rose overtones.

pearls_0.jpg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The inner, unknotted strand seems a bit creamier in body color but also seems a bit rosier, less silvery.
The outer, knotted strand looks a bit whiter in body color and more lustrous (but that may be due to where the camera was focused) but has cooler tones overall.

Which do you like better?
Do you have any more photos?

Kay

Ideal_Rock

I prefer the color and luster of the outer strand.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock

I agree with pearlsngems -- the inner one seems more ivory, the outer one more white -- do you have a preference with regards to your skin tone? Cool tones look better on me, so I would go for the whiter, but that is also individual preference.

As for luster I find it hard to tell, some pearls look more lustrous in either strand -- the person who's helping you at PP has a better view of them, so you may want to simply ask them which strand has better luster.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

Personally I prefer the outer strand, I like the color better. Buy the creaminess of the inner strand is really nice too

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

I also prefer the outer strand

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results