shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Pick my 1.5 Princess in the 7500 price range

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mollerd

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

This is my situation. My fiance and I have been shopping for 1 and 1/2 months for a very nice brilliant princess cut diamond for $7500. I realize I am going to have to sacrifice certain things in order to have this stone such as Clarity and a little on Color. I have been looking at G-H and VS1-SI1.

I am very close to making a decision. I may purchase a 1.31 which is a perfect sqaure and shows bigger but I would love to have that 1.5 if possibe as size does matter to me. I don''t to sacrifice too much for size but am having trouble striking that perfect balance. Please advise as I need to make a decision by this week as this has been taking almost all out free time and we agreed to pick something this week. Thanks you so much!

Stone A:

Square Modified
1.31 CT
G/VS2
6.09 X 6.09 X 4.35
Depth 71.4
Table 76
Girdle Med to Thick
Culet None
Pol VG
Sym VG
Flor None
Price $7100

Note: Stone A is beautiful and presents larger than many 1.5''s that are deeper. My only concern is it is a little small.

Stone B:

Rectangular Modified (by a hair out of square range)
1.52 CT
H/SI1
6.67 X 6.31
Depth 68.1
Table 75
Girdle VTN to STK
Pol Gd
Sym Gd
Flor None
Culet None

Note: Stone B is also beautiful as the Length to Width ratio makes it slightly out of the square range, but only by a hair. It''s length to Width ratio is 1.057.
Price $7375

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
have you seen them side by side?

mollerd

Rough_Rock
Hi Belle,

No I have not seen them side by side. The 1.31 someone lent me and I can bring it to the store and hold them side by side, but it may be a little weird walking in with my own stone.

Thanks

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, i can say that it takes a mighty strong person to walk into a jewelry store with your own stone....i''ve done it, and it ain''t fun. the jeweler is going to try *very* hard to make a sale. that said, i would encourage you to compare as many stones as possible..including the one that you have. view them both in lighting conditions other than the bright store lights and let your eyes be the judge.
2.gif
best of luck to you!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then be weird.

How many times are you planning to get married?

It is your money, get the stone you want.

Call first, and bring it in.

The only way to compare diamonds is side by side.

mollerd

Rough_Rock
Hi Belle, Yeah I hear you. I am actually a pretty strong minded person. I had no idea this whole process was going to be so complicated.

I thing I noticed and maybe you can help clear thi sup for me is this.

When I look of many of these Princess cut diamonds face down, I see a sort of black pattern. At first I thought they were really bad inclusions. But then I realized they weren''t because I looked at a flawless diamond and also saw that. It must have something to do with the faceting. I never see thjis in rounds. Do you know what I mean and is it significant?

thanks

mollerd

Rough_Rock
Hi - thank you. You are right. heck for this amount of money I need to be thrilled. If they can;t handle this I guess they are in the wrong business. I am going to do this on Wednesday. I''ll let you know how it goes.

I was also looking for feedback though on paper if one is clearly that much of a better choice then you other. But I guess you really have to see them.

Take CAre

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Mollerd,
Congrats on the upcoming nuptuals!!!

Re the pattern on the back of a princess cut- don''t worry about it as long as you like the face.
I would call the store, and let them know what you intend to do- if they have any problem, tell them it''s ok, you''ll just keep looking till you find a store which would assist you- odds are they will comply.

ONce you see the two stones next to each other you will have a much better idea what''s going on.

Do both of these diamonds carry GIA reports?

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
I''d be concerned about the very thin parts of the girdle on stone B, you don''t want your preciousss to get broken when it''s being set.

mollerd

Rough_Rock
Hi - Is VTH to Slightly thick really that bad? Very thin to very thick is considered class 3a or 3b. This is very thin to slightly thick. Thin to thick is considered class 2b (very acceptable) according to the http://gemappraisers.com/chrt4.htm web site recommended at a good guide for grading cut according to many others on this web site. This seems like it''s somewhere in the middle.

thanks alot

mollerd

Rough_Rock
Hi - yes both of these diamonds carry GIA reports. The black spots I was referring to is when AI look at the stone face up (table side up). I''ve seen others refer to this as shadows. I don''t know why they look like inclusions to me.
But I know they are not. Do you know what I mean?

Thanks alot

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results