shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me pick an engagement ring on bluenile.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

apkesh

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
I need to get my girlfriend an engagement ring, everything else is planned and set, except for the ring it self. My budget is between US$3600 and $4200 and I want to get it on bluenile.com, so I get it shipped by Monday. I am a newbie to all this, but I do know that I want to get a nice brilliant looking diamond (around 1 carrot) with not so heavy looking setting (elegant and light so it makes the stone look even bigger)

My pick is http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00528697&filter_id=1 which is .87 Ct only. As I said I know nothing about rings, and I am worried if this is a good bye. Can someone suggest me some specs to look for based on what I mentioned above?

-Self confessed Procrastinator…

poopoojones

Rough_Rock
Go to the Pricescope home page and put your budget into the search tool. I think that you'll find a lot more is available inside your budget then you will find on Blue Nile. That site tends to be a little expensive.

I stared at Blue Nile and ended up getting a lot more for the same amount of money from Jim Schultz at dirtcheapdiamonds.com. I have also heard good things about other vendors here too.

Blue Nile is not the only one that can ship quickly. I think that you'll be surprised how quickly a stone can be delivered even when the broker does not have the stone in his/her inventory.

I went with a G color and SI1 clarity. That seems to be pretty safe bet as far as the stone being white and 'eye clean' without paying too much.

Also, pay careful attention to the cut of the stone. There are good parameters on this site under the 'cut advisor' section.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This (below) looks nice to me for comparison. It can probably get better within the price range in terms of cut, but am not sure what the true impact on stone's appearance will be.

http://www.israel-diamonds.com/showitem.asp?product=7702
Item Number 01-61-13916
Shape Princess
Measurements 5.94 x 5.34 x 3.93 mm
Weight 1.01 carat
Color Grade D
Clarity Grade VS2
Fluorescence None
Proportions
Depth 73.6 %
Table 80 %
Girdle Medium
Finish
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Good
Culet None
Report GIA
Price $4,221.00

The stone is a bit deep (I would like it below 70% depth) so another may look bigger at the same weight). The grade is way above the item at Blue Nile.

Another... less depp, still good color/eye clean. You will see the stone on a 3D 'movie' at the source.
Stone Type Diamond
Shape Princess
Measurements 5.75 x 5.4 x 3.61 mm
Weight 1.00 carat
Color Grade D
Clarity Grade VS2
Fluorescence None
Proportions
Depth 66.9 %
Table 78 %
Girdle Medium
Finish
Polish Good
Symmetry Good
Culet None
Report GIA-Gemological Institute Of America
Price $3,985.00

The largest pricess there for your price range is a J color, 1.5ct...

And there are plenty more where these come from.

I know that you could get the stone loose from these ASAP and that the store also has mountings and sets stones on demand. However, I have not tried their jewelry services yet (just bought one stone loose). This is a less ususal source and their pricing is better than the US retail can give. Procastination... is not necesarily all that damaging: there is FedEx out there and pre-made seting can be shaped into what you want within a day, if the jeweler wants to give you priority.

Hope this helps!

jenntheten

Rough_Rock
I think the Platinum Trellis Setting from Bluenile is AWESOME!!!!!!!! Just my opinion.

Also, I wouldn't pay the premium for their "signature ideal" princess cuts--other vendors can find you just a beautiful stones without paying for their "name brand".

Good luck with your hunt! I agree with the advise to go with G/SI1 also---I have an "H" in platinum and am happy with it---so G would be a PERFECT combination of value and color IMO!
1.gif

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
Here is a nice princess cut I found from Blue Nile in your price range. It's a G SI1:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00571075&item=288_438&filter_id=0&sec=&query=21&page=15&sortby=size-d

appl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results