shape
carat
color
clarity

help me pick a stone for my solitaire? pretty please?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
OKAY! i have to choose between these 4 stones and I am going to take a chance with bluenile and choose on these below characteristics alone. if they completely suck I have the 30 day return policy. all are SI2 clarity and eyeclean RBs. below each one ive put their HCA ratings as well. im basically leaning towards the AGS (4), since i cant go wrong with that, but it is a big smaller than the other three. please help me to decide!

(1)

.75 ct, F
GIA “Very Good”
EX/VG
No flour
5.99 x 5.95 x 3.48
58.3% depth
61% table
med girdle
33 crown angle
40.4 pavilion angle
$2,430
VG/EX/EX/EX 1.9

(2)

.78 ct, G
GIA “Excellent”
VG/VG
No flour
5.98 x 5.96 x 3.59
60.1% depth
59% table
med to slt thick girlde
$2,466
EX/EX/EX/EX 1.2

(3)

.80 ct, F
GIA "Very good"
EX/VG
no flour
5.98 x 5.93 x 3.66
depth 61.5%
table 56%
medium girdle
$2,668
EX/EX/EX/VG. 0.8

(4)

.74 ct, F
AGSL “IDEAL”
ID/ID
Negligible flour
5.87 x 5.85 x 3.57
61% depth
56% table
girdle: thin to med
$2,512
EX/EX/EX/VG 1.1
ps, the reason i have to decide this right now (like TODAY in the next couple hours) is cause my boyfriend told me i could pick out my own diamond for my ring and now i am taking forever and he says id better "get this DONE" already. maybe he was planning to get engaged sooner than next year which is what we were thinking of before
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey! I just logged back in and saw the new selection!

I choose # 4 !!!! It looks great!

P.S. Those sizes are so close to the same, I doubt you could tell them apart!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
#4...I wouldn''t consider the other ones personally.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Either #2 or #4. If I really had to choose I might go for #4 since I''m worried about the size of the table in #2.

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
thanks, dS. i think i am narrowing it down to #2 and #4. i threw out 1 and 3 already.

I like 4 for the color and the AGS 000 rating but I like 2 for its size (2 also has an EX spread while 1''s spread is just VG).

so it is

5.98 x 5.96 (on number 2) and EX spread

versus

5.87 x 5.85 (on number 4) and VG spread

you really think i wouldn''t be able to tell the differencE? if not for difference in .74 to .78, im definately choosing 4...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2006 3:14:05 PM
Author: froufrou
thanks, dS. i think i am narrowing it down to #2 and #4. i threw out 1 and 3 already.

I like 4 for the color and the AGS 000 rating but I like 2 for its size (2 also has an EX spread while 1's spread is just VG).

so it is

5.98 x 5.96 (on number 2) and EX spread

versus

5.87 x 5.85 (on number 4) and VG spread

you really think i wouldn't be able to tell the differencE? if not for difference in .74 to .78, im definately choosing 4...
This decision should not just be about spread...

#2 is going to look TOTALLY different to you than #4. #4 is like a typical ideal cut stone, TIC and all that, like how most of the stones we buy on here look. #2 is going to be more like a brilliant cut stone with the larger table, almost a 60/60 look. i also don't like the girdle at all...i am a thin-med fan.

So if you don't care about getting the more exceptionally cut stone and just want size, get #2. Or #1 or whatever. But if you are looking for a really well-cut stone that has the weight in all right places, get #4. Or get both and compare with your eyes.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There''s no way for you or Blue Nile to know if these are eye-clean - BN does not have their stones in-house to look at.

Why does "get it done already!" have to be today?

Why BN? Other vendors have in house stones with return policies that are just as good, with the added bonus of a professional opinion prior to purchase.

What are your criteria? Color? Size? Budget?

Can''t go wrong w/ #4 if it hs to be one of the ones above.

What about these?
WF 0.74 I VS1
WF 0.742 F SI1
GOG 0.78ct I SI1
JA 0.72ct F SI2

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
the girdle on 4 being thin to medium shouldn''t be a problem??

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yeah i''m not a huge blue nile fan when you have so many other great vendors to choose from that do have the stones in-house, but if you are set on blue nile then cool.

otherwise i really like the .74 F SI from WF because it''s basically exactly what you said you wanted in that other thread...and with PS discount it would be around $2800 or so, right at your budget. and it has the ideal specs i tend to love more. but BN #4 is promising, it''s just too bad you can''t get more info, images etc.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2006 3:19:03 PM
the girdle on 4 being thin to medium shouldn''t be a problem??
This is what I actually prefer.

It would only be a problem if it was v.thin. Medium is actually desirable. I likeT-M because that means I''m not losing any weight in a slightly thick or thick girdle.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/18/2006 3:19:03 PM
the girdle on 4 being thin to medium shouldn't be a problem??
That is the most desirable. ( Can be thin, medium, slightly thick)

ETA: I'd probably go with the WF stone Mara is talking about...more info on it.

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
mara: okay, thanks. when i ran the specs of 2 through HCA it landed inside GIA ex range and right right next to AGS 000 range so that is why i kept it in there. i didnt know theyd look markedly different, to me it seemed quite similar.

ecf: are you sure bluenile can''t know? when i asked, they got back to me a day later and described what the different stones all looked like. they said there''d be no point for them not to tell me cause then i would just end up wasting them money by sending it back. it seemed to make sense. i suppose they couldve called their wholesaler and asked them to look. it has to be done already because ive spent too much time on it while i am supposed to be studying for my exams in June, and until i finish my search im going to be too obsessed with sparklies to do much else. i thought if i got an ideal cut bluenile would be okay to go with.

i have looked on WF and stuff but my budget is specifically below 2,700 and those are all slightly above in their expert selections, and if its not in the expert selection you have to contact them to get the GIA cert. at least BN has all their GIA certs on their site. if they really lied about the eyeclean thing i will just return it and not trust them again.

i think if i choose 4, i cant go too wrong, because it is AGS 000. I like it the best i think for certain. :)

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
a generic mock up of #2 and #4

2vs4.JPG

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
hey belle how did you do that and how do you know? the one on the right is 4?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2006 3:52:45 PM
hey belle how did you do that and how do you know? the one on the right is 4?
i used diamcalc and entered the information you provided. without a 3d scan of the diamonds to import, it is only very generic and top optical symmetry is assumed but you can get an idea of how the angle combination of #2 would look darker and not as bright as #4 (which is on the right). you can also see how very similar, if not indistinguishable, they are size wise.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results