shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Pick A Solitaire Setting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
So... I have a project in the works -- and it''s time for me to pick a setting for my stone. I can''t decide if I should go with something inexpensive, like a Stuller Solstice, and wait to reset the stone in a nicer setting, or to just go all out and set it in something more permanent. I am working with GOG on this project. The stone is a 1.29 H&A, M, and the diameter is ~ 7 mm.

My "dream" is the Mark Morrell Flame. http://www.mwmjewelry.com/Flame_ring_first_samples/

My "budget" alternative is the 6 prong solstice by stuller.

Being the sort of OCD person that I am, I priced out a bunch of settings at intermediate price points (between the Stuller & the MMorrell, though I have to say the plat versions of the Tacori and Ritani settings are either equally pricey or more!) in WG and plat.

Tacori: http://www.tacori.com/TACORI-SRCH/ENGAGEMENT/2501RD7-A-4-1-5-/

Another Tacori with small differences in style: http://www.tacori.com/TACORI-SRCH/ENGAGEMENT/2504RD7-A-4-1-10-/

Ritani Classic no: 1: http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/ritani-jewelry/rings/28QQ1/49/

Ritani Classic no. 2: http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/ritani-jewelry/rings/27QQ1/49/

Sholdt Fremont:http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/sholdt-jewelry/rings/19ZZ1/

And finally the Vatche Royal Crown: http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Solitaire-Diamond-Engagement-Rings-11/Designs-By-Vatche--Royal-Crown-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-119-632.html

Please tell me which one you like the best, and if you were in my shoes -- trying to decide whether to spend more on something more permanent, or spend a little on something to wear "just for now." -- what would you do?

Can''t wait to hear your thoughts!

kimi

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those are all lovely choices. If you are wanting a setting "just for now" I''d go with the Vatch Royal cown. And save up for the MWM Flame.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I don't understand why you'd want to pay $1300-$1900 for your second and third choices when your first choice is $100 more? If you want to upgrade in the future to the MM then just get a basic setting for $250 and save up for your numero uno. But if you're willing to spend $1900, why not spend $2050?

http://www.mwmjewelry.com/Prices/Index.html

DebShine

Shiny_Rock
Ditto to Swingirl.... couldn''t have said it better. Have you seen the Vatche Swan at Excel? I LOVE that ring.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Swingirl, Debshine,

I started looking at settings by designers like Ritani because, unlike Mark Morrell, they work in white gold and the prices of WG pieces cost much less than the Flame.

But yes, I see your point!

Debshine -- I have seen the Swan! I totally forgot about that design until now. It is beautiful.

kimi

DebShine

Shiny_Rock
Excellent - I''ve been trying to find a pic of the swan actually on a finger with wedding band, so far NO LUCK. Let me know if you have better luck. My FF just saw it for the first time last night. Our tastes are all over the place. This is one he liked also. And for the Excel price - I would be able to get a much nicer diamond. However, we are WAY off on that route I think anyway. Have fun and let us know!

DebShine

Shiny_Rock
Last post I promise - I really suck at this!

Look up "vatche swan" in the search and you will get all kinds of links! WOWZA!

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
What do you girls like better? The Mark Morrell Flame or the Vatche Swan?

DebShine

Shiny_Rock
I have looked up searches on both settings. Seen the settings on and off fingers, in the light, at the side; taken into account the size of your diamond.....and the verdict is...

I''d have to go with the Swan.

The Flame is beautiful too, and you may want to question others on a wedding band to go with the rings. The Flame might be easier to find a wedding band to butt up against it, if that it what you like....

but I still like the "fluidity" and grace of the Swan!

And wedding bands can be played with ....

Let us know what you decide!

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
OK, this is my "budget" option -- scroll down about 1/2 way through the thread and you''ll see pix of the 6-prong Stuller

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/anyone-have-pics-of-6-prong-stuller-solstice.7536/

What do you all think?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d set the stone in a $250 temp setting and save up for the MWM that you really love.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 2:07:09 PM
Author: mrssalvo
I''d set the stone in a $250 temp setting and save up for the MWM that you really love.
Ditto. If the MWM is what you truly want, it''s worth saving up for.
5.gif

DebShine

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm... I''m not seeing a 6 prong (am I missing something) and I prefer the six prong in a solitaire as many do.

The Sholdt I saw was $1300, the Swan on Excel was $1000.

Where are the surprise diamonds you wanted on the Scholdt?

And lastly, the Sholdt is a bit more rigid.

I like the Swan better.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Hello girls!

I hear you loud and clear -- I won''t do a "compromise" setting but will save up for the perfect one.

I really like both the Flame and the Swan, and will have to figure out which of the two really speaks to me. I''ve been looking at pix and have to say that they are both beautiful in their own way... Would love to hear why some gals prefer one to the other.

In the meantime, the verdict is out: get that stone in a temp setting and start saving for the "real" one.

Thanks for all your help!

kimi

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
I would save up for your dream setting. You''ll just be obsessing about it.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Flame is my dream setting!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I''d pick a platinum MM. His lines are so fluid.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
That Mark Morrell Flame is dreamy. I do like the Vatche settings, but his settings have that liquidy platinum goodness that go above and beyond all the others.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I vote Flame! Superb craftsmanship, unique stunning design, fantastic polish, and it''s what YOU want
1.gif
If you can afford it, don''t settle (although all of those are gorgeous) and get what you want

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Hello Swingirl, DebShine, GeckoDani, MrsSalvo, LaurenthePartier, Miss Fortune, AprilBaby, February2008Bride,

Thank you so much for reading & responding! It''s clear that Mark has many, many fans here on PS. :) And thank you so much for your advice.

I am curious -- does anyone know how Mark makes his rings? Hand forged, or cast, or handforged + cast? How about Vatche? I''ve been curious for a while how most of the designers make their settings. If anyone knows how the others do it -- Ritani, Tacori, etc., please share.

One of the "scary" things about making the commitment to a Mark Morrell is the fact that we live on the W coast and there are no dealers out here who carry Mark''s work. So...it would be a major leap of faith! There''s a part of me that likes the idea of supporting an independent American craftsman. It''s just so amazing that folks are still walking the small workshop/indie designer/producer path.

February2008Bride, I should email Pearlman''s about that pre-owned piece. Do you think it could be sized down to a 3.75? I could maybe find another use for it too... Can never have too much jewelry...

kimi

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 10:37:57 AM
Author: kimikocat

February2008Bride, I should email Pearlman''s about that pre-owned piece. Do you think it could be sized down to a 3.75? I could maybe find another use for it too... Can never have too much jewelry...

kimi
Kimi,

I''m not sure, you''d have to call Pearlman''s. I love the Royal Crown but the Swan is gorgeous too!

Good luck!!

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 11:12:55 AM
Author: february2003bride
Date: 2/5/2009 10:37:57 AM

Kimi,

I''m not sure, you''d have to call Pearlman''s. I love the Royal Crown but the Swan is gorgeous too!

Good luck!!

Bill says that the ring can''t be sized down to a 3.75.
7.gif

Oh well!

DebShine

Shiny_Rock
Hi Kimi
Have you made a decision? Excel has the Vatche and I believe they said they are an "official" maker or some such thing. Anyway, you may want to look into it if you are still interested in the Swan.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 5:32:14 PM
Author: DebShine
Hi Kimi

Have you made a decision? Excel has the Vatche and I believe they said they are an ''official'' maker or some such thing. Anyway, you may want to look into it if you are still interested in the Swan.

Thanks DebShine for checkingn in :)

No, I am still agonizing. I slept on it, woke up, and started worrying about it again.

A or B...A or B...? Hahaha, I''m so indecisive. At least I''ve narrowed it down -- thank goodness -- to either Mark''s Flame or the Vatche Swan. I ran a search for the rings w/ wedding bands and it seems like the Flame is a little easier to match. Wish I could see them IRL.

Keep those comments coming! Tell me which you like, what you like about it -- be honest!

k

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 2:10:44 PM
Author: geckodani
Date: 2/4/2009 2:07:09 PM
Author: mrssalvo
I'd set the stone in a $250 temp setting and save up for the MWM that you really love.
Ditto. If the MWM is what you truly want, it's worth saving up for.
5.gif
Yup.

If everyone posted saying that they preferred the Vatche piece, would that really make you love it more than the MWM Flame? I doubt it. Besides, being the master that Mark Morell is I doubt anyone would say they like the Vatche better for you (not that there's anything wrong with Vatche, my setting is from them, it's just that MWM is a different monster
2.gif
). If it is what you want, exactly what you want, save for that one!
2.gif

DebShine

Shiny_Rock
The experts (meaning the posters on PS that have been here awhile) will have to answer this... couldn''t you get the Flame (doesn''t that just sound cool to say) with a smaller diamond and then upgrade for anniversaries or something? There are dealers that will upgrade diamonds you buy from them. Or is it a pain to upgrade due to the basket-thingie-ma-bob- it''s in.

I''m so technical!

I''ve noticed some of the better, more reputable jewelers are very good about answering and working with you on these kinds of questions on here.

DebShine

Shiny_Rock
ooops... see you have the stone already.

Scratch what I just wrote and save for the Flame.
Go sell your blood platelets a few times! :) That should do the trick. And then you can say you lost sleep, sweat, and blood for this ring!

Really though...
You''ll feel very good when you see the perfect lovely you have for your perfect lovely!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results