shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me pick a shape!

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi all! I am having a heck of a time picking a shape for my new ring. I am waffling between a 4 carat emerald cut or a 3.63 carat OEC. Either will be set as a simple solitaire.

I have smallish hands and wear a size 5.25. I adore the rainbow warmth of OEC's and used to have a 2.24 but have always been so mesmerized by step cuts. I think Emerald cuts are so elegant but being used to the fire of my big marquise and old OEC, will I be underwhelmed by the type of sparkle produced by an EC? I am hoping some of you who have owned both will chime in.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find emeralds to be so... Elegant, especially two carats and up.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've had OECs and an asscher.

They are so different. It's like asking someone to chose between their kids.

I like both.

I don't think anyone can make that choice for you.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, only you can decide if you'll be in love with a step cut as your forever ring!

One consideration, will the squared pointy tips of an emerald cut be a potential issue for scratching your little ones?? I feel like they may be especially with a 4 carat.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
So so true Gypsy. I am mostly hoping someone who has owned both can comment on the differences and why they chose one over the other :)

JDDN, that is my only concern - but am considering tab prongs to reduce scrqtches. Anything will be better than the marquise!!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I have a 3.66 emerald and I used to wear a 1.20 and 1.66 trillion. I get sooooo many conpliments on my emerald cut and I just absolutely love it. I wear RB in my ears but for my ER I love my emerald.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you bought a few cheapo rings to wear around your house and children to make sure the shale works for your lifestyle?

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That is a great idea! I looked at Walmart but didnt find anything close to the size I am considering. Tips on where to find a 10mm round and 8x11 emerald solitaire?

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1448760995|3955111 said:
Have you bought a few cheapo rings to wear around your house and children to make sure the shale works for your lifestyle?

Great idea!

therainbowradish said:
That is a great idea! I looked at <a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" target="_blank" href="http://www.walmart.com/" rel="nofollow"><span>Walmart</span></a> but didnt find anything close to the size I am considering. Tips on where to find a 10mm round and 8x11 emerald solitaire?

Kohl's, Macy's, Dillard's or places like that sometime have them. There is a website that Jambalaya recommends that might have something. Do a search for heavenly necklaces. I think that's it he name of the site. :wavey:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel said:

I was going to suggest the same. I'd definitely try an emerald out with tab prongs just to be safe!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Try Diamond bistro. There are lots of people that sell nice stimulants, including ones that are OEC faceted on there.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
therainbowradish|1448764582|3955118 said:
That is a great idea! I looked at Walmart but didnt find anything close to the size I am considering. Tips on where to find a 10mm round and 8x11 emerald solitaire?
The very cheapest I could find for you: 10 mm round solitaire ring for 11 bucks via Amazon.com; think posting a link would violate forum policies, but it's a 4 ct ring, gold-plated brass mounting, sold by Anka. Certainly won't resemble the OEC you're considering, but the diameter is correct.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
8x11 mm seems to be tough to find, but there is a ring on Walmart's web site that's fairly close (7.25 x 11.25 mm); look for 4.6 (includes weight of pave) ct emerald cut, in sterling silver, priced at $37.95

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
I too thought that an emerald would scratch your darlings so you would be back to the same scenario as the magnificent marquise - have you completely dismissed oval or round - or stop playing so rough with the kids lol =)

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Sphene, the choice is between an Emerald and an OEC which is round. But I have owned an OEC before and am thinking Imay enjoy something different. I could have had my MQ cut to an oval but ovals just don't thrill me.

Also, I don't play rough with my kids but they are 1 and 3 so they are very active and I wear my jewels all the time. I am determined to find something I don't have to take off

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
These 2 cuts are entirely different beasts and as some have suggested, try some on to see what works best in your lifestyle.
i think gypsy recommended diamond bistro who have ppl selling simulants. this is a cheap way of investing to see what would work for YOU.

My opinion is only my opinion, and it could vastly differ to yours.
i have both step cut (generic asscher 1.0ct @ ~ 5mm) and i have an OEC @ ~3.5mm.

I am more of a step cut person. But, i love the big fat faceting patterns of an OEC. Granted my step cut and OECs are no where in the dimensions of what you are looking at. However, my first choice would always be a step cut as that is what i love.

I read that you have had a Marquise and love how that looks... so maybe it would be a time of a change up.... to an emerald cut....
it is a huge investment and do take the time to see what works for you. or if budget allows... have one of each.. :naughty:

have fun with the decision making and of course, post pics!!!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are fabulous and beautiful diamonds but only you can decide which one you will like the best. I don't own an OEC but everyone seems to love them on here. Their chunky facets really put on a show. I have a 1 ct EC RHR that doesn't disappoint me in performance so the size you are looking at would be fabulous. I will be anxious to see what you pick.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks Marcy! I had a 2.24 carat OEC and loved the rainbow colors.

LaurenK that is so lovely but I cant fathom spending that much on a tester lol

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, that's crazy for a tester!

Just look on ebay for a tester. I always run across them.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
CVB did such a beautiful job on that project but I am a solitaire girl through and through :) hoping to find a few testers this week so I can make a dang decision in the next few weeks. Those of you are familiar with the marquise know how long this journey has been. My finger feels naked!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For high quality testers at a good price, go to berricle.com. 40% off today! But they have sales almost all the time, so never buy at full price.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Those look great but I didn't see any that are simple 4 carat solitaire :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results