shape
carat
color
clarity

help me out!! K color diamonds

dontaskme

Rough_Rock
I am really close to ordering a K colored diamond online, it is an antique cushion and I am aware that a K color has a yellow tint but I do not know how much color because I have never seen one. Could anyone post some K colored diamonds ?

:) I have a E colored EC already so I am ok with a right hand ring being warmer. Thank you !

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Mom's ring is 1.98 OEC K VVS1, I honestly cant see the "yellow" from the top down, you can however see it easily from the side, here is a picture, I tried to take a picture from the side to show the yellow but my camera couldnt capture it...so this is what I got.

momring 001.JPG

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
here it is on her hand, this one shows maybe a tiny bit of yellow;

momring 003.JPG

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ering is a K, set in white gold, and I never notice a tint of color. It's smaller at .67ct, and that may effect the color detection, so I'm told. I'll try to attach a pic.
2010-5-4%20014.jpg momsphone3.jpg

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Do you know which lab graded the stone? There can be a significant difference between a GIA K and an EGL K.

I think that old cuts tend to face up whiter than there stated color, so if its a GIA K, I think that you wouldn't see much tint looking down at the diamond. But like diamondrglover said, would probalby notice it throught he side. I have an AC that's an I and I can I see color through the side of the stone in some lighting.

I love lower color grades in old cuts. :love: When I read your post I drooled a bit just imagining your stone! :love: How are you going to set it?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really think you must see a stone in-person to figure out whether you'll be okay with the color.
Lower colored stones can look very different in different lighting environments, so pictures are not that reliable.

For example, these are all pictures of my O-P stone taken on the same day:
onestonemanycolors.jpg

Good Old Gold has a great tutorial on color. If you keep advancing through it, you'll come to a visual of a K next to a D.
http://goodoldgold.com/content.php?c=14

If the stone can be returned, I'd say go for it and see if you like it. Also, is it GIA-certified?

ETA: Another thing to consider is whether you are color sensitive. Different people perceive color differently, so that's going to account for varying opinions of Ks, as well.

dontaskme

Rough_Rock
I am color sensitive but since it is an antique stone and I already have my ER, I am ok with it being "warm" I just have never seen a K colored diamond. It is not GIA, it is EGL USA. I do know there is a huge difference between the two but the diamond is very reasonably priced so I am ok with that. If this was a 10K diamond I wouldn't even consider EGL :). I know most likely it is a true, L or M. I am really surprised at how white the stones posted look :O I really did figure it would be a light yellow color.

As for setting, I think I am going to go with a 3 stone right hand ring, I will look for matching side stones once I purchase this stone and decide for sure I am keeping it ( 10 day return policy ftw)

dontaskme

Rough_Rock
and thank you for the responses! I am a long time lurker, first time poster. :wavey:

dontaskme

Rough_Rock
@ Haven,

your set is beautiful!!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pics are worthless for judging diamond color.
Totally, completely, absolutely 100% worthless!!!

There are zillions of yellowish Ds and icy white Js that have been posted here on PS.
People do not know how to set their camera's white balance for the light they are using.
Since people do not put their diamonds in white light tents for the pics their diamonds pick up all the colors around them (like yellow or blue sky walls or clothing).

You need to see diamonds live to discover your color preference.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results