shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me not be a statistic in the diamond district

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stevejones111

Rough_Rock
Hello all - I didn''t think I''d need to be one of those unlucky souls begging for help on the forum, but here I am.

The Background: We''ve found the right setting in NY''s diamond district (its an antique, but not expensive at all), but the dealer will only sell to us if we source the diamond through him. (FYI, total price I can pay is around $10K for a very specific Asscher). I''ve been going back and forth with him for weeks now, looking at the terrible diamonds he keeps showing me, trying to be at least fair. He keeps trying to get a 30%/40% markup (based on cost of stone, the setting and actually setting it the ring). He knows I''m in a difficult spot, because my lovely future fiance of course told him that it was the most perfect setting and she didn''t want to go anywhere else.

Still - I''m about ready to walk. And my questions to all the experts and pros on this site are:
1) Am I being unreasonable - should I expect to pay that kind of markup in the district?
2) If I know the setting costs less than $1K, and he tells me that setting the stone costs $300 or so, how much should I reasonably allow him to make on the stone itself.
3) I keep finding the same damn diamonds he''s trying to sell me on Pricescope for $2K or more cheaper than what he''s trying to sell me - are dealers expected to match the price if you find the same diamond online?
4) Is the market tight enough to where the threat of my walking away will make him come down? Or are dealers just going to hold on the setting and wait for the next sucker to come along?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally I would NEVER buy from someone who treats you that way.

Are you SURE the setting is an actual antique? Or a replica? And what does it look like? My guess is that we can help you find the same/almost the same setting from a much better vendor.

Spend your money elsewhere.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/19/2009 10:15:29 AM
Author: neatfreak
Personally I would NEVER buy from someone who treats you that way.

Are you SURE the setting is an actual antique? Or a replica? And what does it look like? My guess is that we can help you find the same/almost the same setting from a much better vendor.

Spend your money elsewhere.
Ditto!!! Welcome to Pricescope Steve, not to worry - we will do our best to help you
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results