shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me name these stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mizzo

Rough_Rock
So, a family member (now deceased) gave me a little box of stones about 10 years ago. Not knowing what to do with them at the time, I held on to them and uncovered them each time I moved or "cleaned out." A few days ago, I remembered I had them and since I''ve been lurking around here a lot, I want to turn something from the box into jewelry. (This nicely coincides with the graduation gift I''ve been thinking about for myself). Most of what''s inside is eh, but there are two stones I rather like and am wondering if they have names. They are not incredible stones, but have meaning to me.

So, I think the brown one is smoky quartz. The yellow one- no clue. Notice the faint brownish stripes in that one. For my gift-to-self, I am pretty sure I''m sending the yellow one to an Etsy seller to make into a ring, but before I get to that point, I thought I''d see if I could find out anything here. . .

mizzo

Rough_Rock
Brown

browni.JPG

mizzo

Rough_Rock
Brown #2

brownii.JPG

mizzo

Rough_Rock
Yellow

yellowi.JPG

mizzo

Rough_Rock
Yellow #2 Thanks everyone!

yellowii.JPG

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
They look like smokey quartz and citrine.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They''re either quartz or glass.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Making a ID from a picture on a computer moniter over the internet would be impossible but a guess is not. I agree that the first one looks like quartz. The second pictures color reminds me of beryl.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There''s no way to tell for sure but I''ll hazard a guess: smoky quartz and citrine.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Smokey quartz and citrine would be my almost 100% guesses.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too - smokey quartz and citrine.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Brown - Smoky Quartz

You mentioned "The yellow one-no clue. Notice the faint brownish stripes in that one."

My bet for your yellow is Citrine. Citrines frequently have color banding within the gemstone, which looks like faint yellowish/brownish and clear stripes. If the gemstone is darker in tone, the color banding may be somewhat masked.
26.gif

Adah

Shiny_Rock
Brown - I''d guess smoky quartz

Yellow - I''d guess citrine

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
For some reason, the yellow one doesn''t seem like a citrine to me. Aren''t citrines usually more "sparkly" - higher refraction (if that is the right terminology)?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/24/2009 8:44:44 AM
Author: CharmyPoo
For some reason, the yellow one doesn''t seem like a citrine to me. Aren''t citrines usually more ''sparkly'' - higher refraction (if that is the right terminology)?
Nope, they''re quartz, and quartz is one of the lowest RI''s. If you do an expert job at faceting and polish any transparent natural material though, even glass (silica), it will sparkle.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I think quartz for both--the color zoning in the yellow makes me think natural.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results