shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me MOVE To a New Town

iLander

Ideal_Rock
So, I'm thinking of moving, I have used this place up! I have seen it all, done it all, I'm bored with it. I moved here because it was peaceful, not I think it's just too dang quiet.

The fall decorating thread made me rampantly jealous of places with seasons, we don't have that here. I am flexible, so can live pretty much anywhere.

Here's what I'm looking for;

I think I need seasons, but I don't want winters that are way below zero. That's just nuts! :shock:

I need a city of some kind. I haven't had that for a long time, and I miss it. I need stores, malls, etc. I have all that, but it's about an hour away and the pickings are slim.

I want a yard of my own, a park down the street is good too, I like to walk my dogs.

I need to feel safe wearing my jewelry. I've been to big cities and I'm worried about my purse, much less my jewelry.

I hate traffic. I moved out of my last city because the traffic was unbearable; it took me 45 minutes to go 6 miles, off-peak! It was so crowded that even though I was on a six lane highway, it was still stop and go. And no, there was no way to go around.

So, any suggestions from PSer's of where I can move? Does your city/town/hamlet fit the bill?

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Philly :)

I know of areas in Philadelphia that you've described almost to a T.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
iLander...I am assuming you need to be employed in new town? are there places more suited to your job?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
slg47 said:
iLander...I am assuming you need to be employed in new town? are there places more suited to your job?

Actually, my job is internet based, I don't really need to be anywhere in particular. Just need good internet access, and I'm set.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I'm working on DH to move somewhere west of Richmond, VA, for the very same reasons, iLander. There are many terrific towns in mid-Virginia & within, say, 45 min. of Richmond, Alexandria, DC or Charlottesville. You can find good housing prices too. They have 4 seasons but winter isn't arctic. I think you're my twin -- moved here for the very same reasons you alit where you live; now I'm bored beyond tears. Hey -- if I can't get DH blasted loose, want to room together?? :loopy:

--- Laurie

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1315250488|3010180 said:

What are the winters like there? How's the crime? Traffic?

MsP

Brilliant_Rock

2nd! I love the city. Can be pricey... but IMO reasonable for a city.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1315251178|3010187 said:
I'm working on DH to move somewhere west of Richmond, VA, for the very same reasons, iLander. There are many terrific towns in mid-Virginia & within, say, 45 min. of Richmond, Alexandria, DC or Charlottesville. You can find good housing prices too. They have 4 seasons but winter isn't arctic. I think you're my twin -- moved here for the very same reasons you alit where you live; now I'm bored beyond tears. Hey -- if I can't get DH blasted loose, want to room together?? :loopy:

--- Laurie

LOL! You're on, lady! :D

How's the traffic there? Every time I drive through from the south to the north, I-95 is bumper to bumper for miles from north of DC to way south of Alexandria. I hit 2 hour delays unless I drive through at 7 am Sunday. Is the area you're talking about near that?

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live in Ponte Vedra Beach close to Jacksonville. It's a nice town. Not too big and nit too small. Great beach communities and dogs can be on the beach. Cold winters but no snow. Change of season but hot like crazy in summer with a sea breeze.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1315251210|3010188 said:

Depends on the area that you're in regarding the crime. There are very ritzy areas and definitely bad ones. As for traffic, I never had any major problems with it but it also depends where you're trying to go. would you be driving only within the city or would you be driving to the outskirts?

I personally have an apartment in the Rittenhouse area (a good area) but my parents live right outside of Philly in the suburbs and I love it there too. Its quaint yet also perfect because the city is so easily accessible. Then we've got NY, AC, and the shore all right there too.

Oh, and lots of beautiful parks. We live right near New Hope. Great area.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
MissPrudential|1315251249|3010189 said:

2nd! I love the city. Can be pricey... but IMO reasonable for a city.

Agreed...can get very pricey, just gotta know where to look. I saw so many amazing town houses in Old City when FI and I took our engagement pictures. I could have sworn it was right out of a picture. So gorgeous.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1315251676|3010194 said:

--- Laurie

LOL! You're on, lady! :D

How's the traffic there? Every time I drive through from the south to the north, I-95 is bumper to bumper for miles from north of DC to way south of Alexandria. I hit 2 hour delays unless I drive through at 7 am Sunday. Is the area you're talking about near that?

Wait! I know where you're talking about, Laurie! :wavey:

We spent a night there this past summer, specifically taking that route to avoid the DC D-lay. I remember now! It was VERY pretty there! I liked all the hills and trees, the pretty little brick houses, there were a lot of nice areas on the outskirts and there seemed to be some nice shopping.

Yup, if our hubbies aren't up for it, we'll bunk together over there! :bigsmile:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1315252225|3010198 said:

Depends on the area that you're in regarding the crime. There are very ritzy areas and definitely bad ones. As for traffic, I never had any major problems with it but it also depends where you're trying to go. would you be driving only within the city or would you be driving to the outskirts?

I personally have an apartment in the Rittenhouse area (a good area) but my parents live right outside of Philly in the suburbs and I love it there too. Its quaint yet also perfect because the city is so easily accessible. Then we've got NY, AC, and the shore all right there too.

I've been there, client meetings in Malvern, PA. Very pretty area, lots of trees.

It's weird, every time DH and I are in PA, we feel very much at home there. It has something to do with the vibe, or maybe it's our ancestoral memory, since DH's whole family is originally from there.

Tell me more! :appl:

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Idaho! :bigsmile: We have all four seasons that are fairly mild but distinct, decent shopping, very low crime and little traffic inside the city (living on an outside city and coming in takes 15 - 30 minutes to go 20-40 miles). Lots of parks and wonderful family owned eateries along with the major larger stores. A real mall, not a paltry one level with a few shops in it. Places to ski and whitewater raft that are less than an hour away. No sub-zero temps here! No hurricanes, earthquakes, tornado, ice storms, etc. This is a photo I took of one of the ponds in Albertsons Park. Stunning park right in the middle of the city that makes you feel like you have escaped into a natural forest wonderland ::)

CameraZOOM-20110807163018-2.jpg

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I also think Richmond VA is a very cool town, especially "The Fan" neighborhood. I love the whole Blue Ridge Mountain region and outlying cities like Richmond and DC, no where else will ever feel like home.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock

--- Laurie

You're going to move?!? Gotta have a GTG before then.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Actually, iLander, I'm not thinking of a specific town -- there are many neat ones west & SW of Richmond. Nottoway, Dinwiddie (y?), Amelia court House, Powhatan, Farmville, Dillwyn. Countryside & farms & beauteous woods & antique places, but close enough to get into Richmond or Petersburg (not much happens there, though), or DC if you want to see an exhibit, etc. Too far NW & you get into DC-commuter housing prices & traffic. Another good thing is that depending on where you live, taxes in Va. are bearable.

Then there's always the Northern Neck & other watery areas. Real estate is more expensive, of course, but it's a wonderful place to live. We are in N. Carolina now, but I'm headed upstream in a few years.

I agree that Penn. is gorgeous. What glorious country they have there! My first & always place I feel most at home is New Hampshire or VT but I am simply unwilling to pay their taxes.

--- Laurie

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another vote for Philly. Great city. If you want a backyard, look into the town of Narberth... I am 5 mins from there, I adore the neighborhood and the community.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1315253345|3010207 said:

I've been there, client meetings in Malvern, PA. Very pretty area, lots of trees.

It's weird, every time DH and I are in PA, we feel very much at home there. It has something to do with the vibe, or maybe it's our ancestoral memory, since DH's whole family is originally from there.

Tell me more! :appl:

I'm at the Phillies game right now when i get home, ill tell you the world :) think of some questions, too. I am very proud of what my city has to offer my FI is from an area near Manhattan and ever since I brought him to philly..he has totally fallen in love....no exaggeration. It's an amazing city with more to offer than people think.

soocool

Ideal_Rock

I live near AN's parents, just outside of New Hope, PA and Lambertville, NJ (BTW, AN the bridge to 202 via Rt 32 in New Hope is closed due to the flood from hurricane Irene). There is not a lot of traffic near me and it is close enough to visit Philly or NYC via train. Nice parks, you can watch Washington cross the Delaware on Christmas Day, pick apples from a number of farms in the area, go winery hopping on the weekends (we have a bunch), antiquing, galleries, Moravian tileworks, the Fonthill and Mercer Museums, and my favorite- Rice's flea market on Tuesdays. (All this in the susburbs) Lots of places to ride horses, too.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I think the DC area fits your needs....well, except for the traffic I guess.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Richmond-I lived there for almost 12 years and just moved away this February. There are a lot of things going on for a smaller city. There's a solid art and music scene and TONS of great restaurants. Plus the cost of living is pretty low, and there are a lot of options. The Fan is fantastic and so are Carytown and the Museum District for living right in the city. There are some nice slightly more suburban areas as well, particularly on the Southside. (South of the James River.) And of course there are a ton of straight up suburbs. There isn't much traffic at all, either, which I didn't appreciate until I moved away!

In February we moved to Philly and I like it a lot. I'm not as familiar with the different areas yet, but there are a lot of different great neighborhoods in the city and further out. There is always something going on, tons of great restaurants, cute boutiques, it's close to NYC for a day trip, etc. A higher cost of living, though, depending on where you end up. Oh and traffic can be awful, especially on 76. I try to avoid 76 unless I'm desperate for a trip to King of Prussia mall. :cheeky:

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
I live in the Philly suburbs and it definitely meets many of your criteria. However, the traffic here is horrendous unless you live very far from the city. I previously lived in DC and NYC and the traffic here is as bad or worse than in those cities.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
CHICAGO, baby! It's the greatest city in the world.

You don't need a car if you live in the city, so the traffic doesn't matter.
Or, you could always live somewhere on the North Shore near me. We're close enough to the city that we can be there within 20 minutes, but we're still in a nice little hamlet of suburban calm up here. And lakeside strolls make for beautiful dog walks!

Our winters aren't too bad, the average temps get as low as the mid-teens, so not below zero, at least.

I do love Chicago and the North Shore. I complain about the snootiness every now and then, but that's just a few people and I think they exist everywhere. Overall, it's a wonderful place. Tons of shopping, eateries, live music, museums, etc. It's really difficult to be bored here.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
NovemberBride|1315276711|3010442 said:
I live in the Philly suburbs and it definitely meets many of your criteria. However, the traffic here is horrendous unless you live very far from the city. I previously lived in DC and NYC and the traffic here is as bad or worse than in those cities.

What area?

It really depends where you'd be traveling to.

I never have issues with traffic and I travel from the suburbs of Philly into the city of Philly....every.single.weekend.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I'm surprised so many people said Philly -- I've lived here for 11 years but I'm SUPER excited to be moving away. Some suburbs are nice, especially the Main Line and Bucks County, and some places that are technically in the city but have a more suburban feel, like Chestnut Hill. But the downtown core is definitely not my favorite place. Like AN, I live around Rittenhouse and the parking is horrible. Street parking can take up to an hour at times, and I have a space in the cheapest garage around which is close to $200/month. It takes a minimum of 25 minutes to get out of the city, and that's if traffic isn't bad. Very few places in the "better" areas of Center City have yards, although you can get one if you're comfortable living on the fringes. Those areas have gotten much better in the last few years but still make me sort of nervous at night. I carry a handbag to work, but otherwise usually leave it at home and just carry the essentials in my pockets since I was mugged a few years ago. After college, I lived in the city for about a year (same general area as I do now), then on the Main Line for a couple years, then in the city again since I got engaged/married -- the suburbs are awesome, especially if you tend to go into the city just for fun rather than every day, but I have never felt safe living right in Philly. There are a lot of PSers here, though!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1315251168|3010186 said:
slg47 said:

Actually, my job is internet based, I don't really need to be anywhere in particular. Just need good internet access, and I'm set.
so you work for Price Scope? :bigsmile:

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I would recommend Utah but the winters can get a bit brisk at times!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I lived in Center City Philly for 2 years, my dad lived there for 4, and I grew up in southeastern PA, so we took a lot of family trips there. I liked living there, but I'm not sure it fits your bill. The traffic isn't pleasant...it's better than NYC, but it's still not easy to drive there. Parking is ridiculously expensive in a lot of the buildings (mine was charging over $300/month), and it's difficult to find street parking whenever you want to drive somewhere. I actually didn't have a car when I lived there for those reasons. Real estate is becoming very expensive there, and it's not easy to find a place with a yard. It's also a very high-crime city (its nickname is "Killadelphia" because of its high per capita murder rate), and while it's true that there are good areas and bad areas, the areas tend to be quite interspersed without much of a transition zone and easy to stumble into if you get lost. Like if you walk 2 more blocks, you're suddenly in a very scary place. The weather isn't really nice either; it gets really hot and humid in the summer and really cold and snowy in the winter. Seasons to the EXTREME.

The suburbs or even the outlying areas of the city (e.g. East Falls), on the other hand, might be a good choice (with the caveat that the weather would be the same). You could find a town on one of the regional rail lines and just ride the train into the city. You'd have the yard, the seasons, the safety, the proximity to the city, and the lack of traffic (as long as you avoid the Schuylkill Expressway). I'm particularly fond of the Manayunk area: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manayunk,_Philadelphia,_Pennsylvania. There are also a lot of nice suburbs on the "Main Line:" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Main_Line

A family friend lives in West Chester, PA, which isn't exactly a Philly suburb, but it's less than an hour west. It's a college town, so it has a lot of cool cultural events (theater, music, etc.). More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Chester,_Pennsylvania

ETA: Looks like Octavia and I were posting around the same time and said pretty much the same thing. Good to know I'm not the only one!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb|1315278322|3010460 said:
It's also a very high-crime city (its nickname is "Killadelphia" because of its high per capita murder rate), and while it's true that there are good areas and bad areas, the areas tend to be quite interspersed without much of a transition zone and easy to stumble into if you get lost.

Yep, and the other nickname is "Filthadelphia," which isn't a whole lot more pleasant and is just as true. Certain blocks just reek in the summer.

(BTW, jstar, did you know I'm moving to the west coast? I won't be living that close to you, but I definitely plan to come down to your area at some point so I'd love to meet up with you again if we can make it happen!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results