shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Make my Choice Please....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

worven

Rough_Rock

This is my first purchace of a diamond of significant value, so I have been in a dillema for a few days, please ease my pain. The Price stated is for the center stone only...

My Budget: 7.5 - 8.0K

Ring Type: 3 Stone (In White Gold or 18K Yellow Gold)

Option 1:

Certificate: GIA
Carat Weight: 0.68 (5.60 - 5.63 X 3.50)
Color Grade: D
Clarity Grade: IF
Cut Grade: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick (Faceted)
Table: 55%
Depth: 62.3
Fluorescence: None

Price: 5332.00 USD

Comments: Minor Details of Polish Are Present, Laser Inscription H & A

Side Stones: GIA - 2 X 0.30 Excellent Cut, E Color, VVS1 Clarity, Excellent Polish, Excellent Symmetry, Girdle - Thin to Medium Faceted.

Option 2:

Certificate: AGSL
Carat Weight: 0.78 (5.90 - 5.92 X 3.66)
Color Grade: F
Clarity Grade: VVS1
Cut Grade: AGS Ideal 0
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Girdle: 1.4% to 3.7% (Faceted)
Table: 55.3%
Depth: 61.8
Fluorescence: None

Price: 5490USD

Comments: Additional Pin-Points not shown, Laser Inscription AGSL Number and Blue Nile Logo.

Side Stones: GIA - 2 X 0.31 Excellent Cut, F Color, VVS2 Clarity, Excellent Polish, Very Good Symmetry, Girdle - Medium to Slightly Thick Faceted.

Unfortunately there are no pictures on Blue Nile Website, if I have missed some info please let me know and i''ll update the thread.

Thank you in advance for your time, suggestions and recommendations.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Worven,

Welcome to Pricescope.

I like your number 2, Julie''s #1, and this one...maybe in reverse order.

worven

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your recommendations JulieN and Regular Guy, is the general consensus to go with a higher carat weight and lower clarity grade.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is something to be said for D IF. It is "perfect" "Perfect" is neat, compact, easily understood.

My take is once you make it E/F, it doesn't really matter what the clarity is since it's no longer "perfect." If you had an F IF, it is still colorless and it is still flawless, but you don't really go around calling it "perfect."

I agree with Ira that my second suggestion is out of the running since it is smaller and more expensive than his own James Allen find, .84 F VS1.

So if you really want to say it's "perfect," the D IF is fine. (There is kind of a little bit of "he paid HOW much for THAT?" but to each his own...) But something E/F VS is more than sufficient for the vast majority of people.

worven

Rough_Rock
HI JulieN,

Very good points, I am learning.

On another note, option 1 - similar configuration with H VS1 and Very Good Cut Retails for 12000.00USD at the leading jewellery store in Canada, what a rip-off.

VW

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2006 6:00:56 AM
Author: JulieN
There is something to be said for D IF. It is ''perfect'' ''Perfect'' is neat, compact, easily understood.

My take is once you make it E/F, it doesn''t really matter what the clarity is since it''s no longer ''perfect.'' If you had an F IF, it is still colorless and it is still flawless, but you don''t really go around calling it ''perfect.''

I agree with Ira that my second suggestion is out of the running since it is smaller and more expensive than his own James Allen find, .84 F VS1.

So if you really want to say it''s ''perfect,'' the D IF is fine. (There is kind of a little bit of ''he paid HOW much for THAT?'' but to each his own...) But something E/F VS is more than sufficient for the vast majority of people.
Jule, as she frequently does, makes good points. And, the thought..."There is kind of a little bit of ''he paid HOW much for THAT?" adds to the appreciation of the continuity of value. For example, how much does non visible perfect better have to be to justify it''s premium over that over that of a still beautifyl diamond...and likelwise, how much better does a diamond have to be to justify it''s premium over a CZ, or imitation diamond...which people can struggle to differentiate from a diamond.

Re reasons to prefer my choice over her option 2...just wanted to say that a preference for BN over JA would suffice to go with her preference (though many do prefer JA, and I bought from them), with just size in consideration, which was hardly noticeable. But, the AGS certification would be a reason to have the preference, yes.

Good continued shopping.

worven

Rough_Rock
Hi,

2 Reasons that I am kind of settled on BlueNile are:

1) Looks like the only company that will accept credit card from Canada, all other that I have visited online want wire transfer which I am reluctant, because this is my first purchase online for Diamonds.

2) BlueNile Pays the Duties and Taxes and is collected by them before shipping, so the package doesn''t need to be opened by Canada Customs. Else package is opened and inspected by Canada Customs.

I placed my order with them even though their proces are about 10% more than other vendors.

Thanks

Venki

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results