shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me make an eternity with my own stones please.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello PS. I need your help. I was given a ring from my mom who knew I wanted an eternity band. She gave me the ring knowing that I would take the stones out to create it. This ring is thick and I usually like 2mm stackables:) The ring has 30 tiny princess sapphires and 8 tiny rounds. I will try to post a pic next. I would like quality that will last and at the same time need to have this cost the least amount possible.
Options:
Full channel set sapphires? with or without miligrain?
Full bezel set sapphires? with or without miligrain?
half eternity bezel princess sapphires with tiny round diamonds? Half because I only have 8 of the diamonds.
Full eternity using the diamonds somehow? like 5 sapphires and 1 diamond rotating in a channel set? or bezel set?
Maybe you have a better suggestion? Maybe 2 half eternities? lol
Also what do you think will be the least expensive? Who should I get quotes from?

I will post a current pic of what I am wearing now which includes a BGD band that I just got from preloved:) I will also include a picture of the ring that is holding the stones. I am a size 6 and the band with the stones has to be a 5 or 5.5? I can put it on my finger but it is TIGHT. Do you think I have enough to go around all the way.

Thank you for reading up to this point. whew! I appreciate the help!

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is what I am wearing now. The rings are all the same height. One question is if I did a channel set can they set it as low as 1.5mm in height? I have always seen channels sitting higher off the hand and I am not sure I would like that.

img_88.jpg

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Okay these are not great pics but you get the idea.

img_9023.jpg

img_9024.jpg

img_9025.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cost of labour to set over 30 melees is going to be a bit of a sticker shock. Sometimes the diamonds actually costs less than the setting work. I do not know much beyond the basics of channel setting and your questions are more geared towards the Jewelry section of PS where more will be able to help you. Actually, even RT will get you better responses than here.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you Chrono. I debated on posting it in RT. I think you are right. Too bad there is no easy way to transfer this over!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Use the Report Concern button on the upper right of your post to request the mods to shift this to RT.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Perfect! I put in a request. Thanks.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Any ideas? I had this moved from colored forum to RT in hopes for more guidance.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Hathalove, Have you contacted any of the PS vendors to run it by them in terms of cost? Send in pics of the existing ring, send in pics of what you are thinking of (using the supplied stones in your intact ring) and then get a ball park of cost.

I would go with BGD & DBL to start for a potential quote. Not sure if GOG or IDJ would do that kind of work, but the stones you have may fit in a stock setting that either could order for you, get the original stones unmounted (Fee involved) and then remount (another fee involved) into something you may find at adwar.com or stuller.com or uniquesettings.com. Finding something stock that your stones would work in would be less costly than a custom setting.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Obviously vendor quote is the way to go. I had a ruby eternity from my mom - it was missing one tiny stone and needed a new channel setting, because ti was very old and the sides of the channels were too worn down. I think my jeweler said about $500 for 14K, which I did not object to, but I already have 3 ruby eternities, and I was only doing it for sentimental reasons, so I held off.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you Enerchi and motownmama

I just got back from XIV Karats Ltd in Beverly Hills (where everyone goes to get inexpensive resets) and the lady that I normally work with said no go. It is not worth it. That the cost alone I could get a handful of sapphire eternities. She saw how disappointed I was and pulled the owner over and asked him. He said No. That the stones are to fragile. It would be different if they were diamonds and stronger. One already has a chip and they could chip more trying to take them out. Then I have to buy more matching stones. yada yada yada! That they could dip the ring to change to white or just size it so I could wear it.

The ring is just not my style. I like it cause its my mom's and she likes it too. Now not sure what to do. They told me to sell it and buy what I want. My mom might rather have it back. Was kind of one of the first rings she bought for herself. Like a right hand ring. Should I give it back to her? I could cherish it in my jewelry box but seems silly to not be worn.

She also gave me cash to buy a rose gold 2mm band from e-wedding bands to match my yellow and white one that I stack with my new bluenile pink eternity. Should I just do that and give her back the old ring? Would that stack look okay with 3 plain bands and one stone band?

I will still contact BGD and see what they say. I just wanted this to be a couple hundred dollar thing and now its turning into a yikes thing. Plus the darn price of gold so even the e-wedding bands have gone up a little. And none of this ring business would even be happening if I didn't find PS! I can't help it now though...it has become an addiction!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results