shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP me make a Decision

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Heishman

Shiny_Rock
Hello All,

I would like to start by saying thank you to all who have helped educate me on these colored gems, especially tourmaline_lover and innerkitten.

I have narrowed my search to a handful of stones. I have also spoke with Gene and he may have some rough of the below stone that he could cut for me.

http://www.precisiongem.com/html/html/PinkTourmaline.html

Please tell me your favorite and why? Any input is appreciated!!!!

http://www.artcutgems.com/item.php?item_id=532&page=3&category_id=48

http://www.artcutgems.com/item.php?item_id=593&page=2&category_id=49

http://www.artcutgems.com/item.php?item_id=526&page=2&category_id=49

http://www.artcutgems.com/item.php?item_id=330&page=2&category_id=49

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Tourm 62 (the 2.64 opposed bar rectangle), closely followed by tourm 59 (the cushion). I like the orangey-pink more than the lavender pink spinel. The 3.02 rectangle doesn''t look as appealing but maybe that''s just the photo as it seems to be more grainy than the other pics.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Gene''s pink tourmaline has really caught my eye. I like that it holds the pink color in any light, and the shade of pink is my favorite by far. But, that is personal preference, since I am not much of an orange fan. As an aside, I notice that clothes everywhere this season are coral. Looks like my $$$ stays in my purse until this fad passes.
5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi lucy,
not sure if you''ve seen this from somewhere in Gene''s blog?
I fell in love with this cut and had him do a garnet in the same cut for me -I can attest to its
awesomeness in person
9.gif

Not sure what shape you''re after, but this would be my choice for sure!

gene pink tourm cush.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
another vote for gene. why? i like his work, have bought from him, think he''s a step up as regards the other stones you linked to.

mz

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I''ve worked with Rick at Art Cut Gems and I''ve always been really happy.

If you haven''t spoken to him, it''s worth doing so - he has quite a lot of stock that isn''t on the website.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the thanks! Out of the three you posted I like the 2.64 one as well. I simply like the cut the best. However if you have a chance to get one cut by Gene in the color you want I would recommend it. I have purchased from him before and his stones are very nice.

Barcelona

Shiny_Rock
From the other thread, I think Lucyh is looking for a more reddish stone, similar to the 1st one on Gene''s tourmaline page, not the 2nd stone down.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I just looked at the additional pictures and it seems to have a window when tilted :/ As for the spinel, I love spinel but that one looks a little like it has some brown in it.
Let us know what you decide.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/3/2009 10:34:28 AM
Author: movie zombie
another vote for gene. why? i like his work, have bought from him, think he''s a step up as regards the other stones you linked to.

mz
I agree, and I also think he''s one of the best faceters around. His cuts are ingenious and creative and sparkle like crazy. Anyone that can make a tourmaline look like a high RI garnet is talented IMHO!

Heishman

Shiny_Rock
okay, Im waiting for Gene to get back to me. It seems like he is the master cutter and I would love for him to give me some good news on the rough he has. I will wait for his reply before purchasing any other stone.

arjunajane- thank you for showing me that pic. The cut is amazing. If Gene could replicate that then I would take it.

I''m keeping my fingers crossed.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He''s done that cut on other gems. Faceting patterns are like blueprints, and these faceters repeat them over and over on various gems. The only problem is finding a stone that can be cut into that shape without losing too much rough. Sometimes these faceted gems aren''t "made to order" and you have to take another shape or cut of stone because of the way nature grew the rough crystal.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 11:30:02 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Anyone that can make a tourmaline look like a high RI garnet is talented IMHO!

oh, that is so true!!!!!!!!

mz

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
I LOOOOVE the 2.64 Orangish Pink Tourmaline!!!

But take this with a grain of salt because I''m biased towards anything peachy.
3.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/3/2009 6:14:05 PM
Author: movie zombie

Date: 4/3/2009 11:30:02 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Anyone that can make a tourmaline look like a high RI garnet is talented IMHO!

oh, that is so true!!!!!!!!

mz
Another one who votes for Gene. He can make the rough look better than what it looked like originally.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results