shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me identify an old family ring :)

jmks

Rough_Rock
Hi There,
I just inherited my Great Grandmother's diamond wedding ring. I think she was born roughly around 1900 and had my grandma around 1920, and I assume she received the ring before then. I love vintage rings and have seen a lot of them, but this one to me is a bit peculiar as I haven't again seen anything similar to it. I'm not sure if all the detail is visible in the photo, there is a large center diamond and then 12 around the outside edges of the ring. That's pretty much all that I know about it, and that it was appraised for $2500 in the 1970s...and it was passed from my great grandma, to my great aunt, then to my mother who would wear it bodysurfing in the ocean as a teenager and now to myself!

I love jewelry with a history and it's killing me not knowing what era this ring came from. Thanks in advance for any suggestions! Also I can't figure out how to post the picture in here, so I've included the link below...

http://flic.kr/p/9Xd4ja

http://flic.kr/p/9Xg55C

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
The ring design could go inline with the late teens into the 20s.Keep in mind the many young brides married during or just after the first world war period had to wait for diamond rings because of availability or cost and so she could have received this ring later.This style was around also into the 1930s.I think yours was in the 1920s.

jmks

Rough_Rock
Thank you! That is very interesting about the diamond issue during the war. I had a feeling she didn't have that ring when she was married because to me it looks 20s. Would that make it Art Deco then? It's not very symmetric, but I assume it just became that way over time.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hello jmks, I am no help but just wanted to say lucky you! The ring is lovely and so nice to know some of it's history.

jmks

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your compliment. I convinced my future husband to let me use it as my wedding ring, but he's still unsure about it. He thinks it's "gaudy" and while it's not something that I would have picked out on my own, I love that 3 generations of my family have worn it. I just had it cleaned and it's sparkles quite nicely!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
it aint gaudy, its unique and it is a great family heirloom!Wear it and enjoy!Yes its considered art deco but it has a combination of different styles so its not as sever looking as some art deco we have seen from the 20s.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear a "gaudy" ring as well. Except it's not. It's pretty with some little stones and fancy engraving - like yours. It's a stunning ring! I love that it's been passed down through the generations.

If you're not keen on it as a wedding ring, then maybe wear it as a right hand ring? I always thought that I wanted my beautiful ring as a wedding ring - DH never was never that keen on the style, but following a separation I'm glad it's mine to wear without attachment to DH. It is my family ring after all!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
It's beautiful!

lindacat

Rough_Rock
I have a ring from the 1920's that is almost identical to this one! Mine has a OEC 0.76 in the center, and then the same pattern of smaller diamonds and platinum around it. So based on the amlost identical design, I would say from the 20's as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results