shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Get Engaged Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SoonExBachelor

Rough_Rock
I want to propose to my girlfriend next week on her birthday. She doesn''t like diamonds! (lucky guy) Her favorite color is "periwinkle blue" which is, I believe, a lighter shade of cornflower. She also doesn''t like big or gaudy but I bet she would love a low profile gem that sparkled a lot. I''ve pretty much decided I want a Richard Homer cut stone but don''t know what type. I have called and left him a message and sent emails but I don''t know if he''s around right now. I also don''t know about the setting. She is a simple girl with simple tastes, but I would say her favorite past era would be either the 50s or art-deco. Something low profile, durable and made of platinum. Please help me put this ring together by next week. Someone tell Richard to call me back. Then I was probably going to have it set in a temporary setting somewhere local. Where should I go locally for nice settings?? Also, How do I guess her ring size? She has tiny hands so I am guessing she''s a 4.

Thanks.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I am trying to puchase a blue sapphire. I'm learning that it can take a long time to choose just the right thing because the stones look different in person than in pictures. An engagement ring is expensive and meaningful. I don't think you'll have time to do it right by next week. If I were you I would choose something inexpensive to propose with, maybe a topaz or aqua in an understated ring. She can wear that on her right hand later on. Or something different altogether. Then the two of you can shop together for the Richard Homer stone, or you can choose it on your own when you are not in a rush.

If you are dead set on getting it done by next week and haven't heard from Richard, how about calling Wink Jones at Winfields. I have no idea his inventory or turnaround times, but he does carry Richard Homer stones and could help with the setting too. If you get a simple solitaire it can be resized easily, anything else you will want to find out her size first because it could be more difficult.

One last idea, there are some pre-made sapphire and diamond rings on blue nile, and their merchandise is usually pretty good and good return policy. However, you will miss out on the experience of choosing just the right thing for your girl and also they don't have the richard homer stones!

PS I think a sapphire is going to be your best bet because they are hard and durable for day to day wear and tear, and they come in all shades of blue.

Another idea is check the pre-made rings on thenaturalsapphirecompany.com. Several pricescopers have had great experiences there. I have never shopped there myself but I did call them once and they were very nice.

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/10/2008 2:14:30 PM
Author:SoonExBachelor
I want to propose to my girlfriend next week on her birthday. She doesn''t like diamonds! (lucky guy) Her favorite color is ''periwinkle blue'' which is, I believe, a lighter shade of cornflower. She also doesn''t like big or gaudy but I bet she would love a low profile gem that sparkled a lot. I''ve pretty much decided I want a Richard Homer cut stone but don''t know what type. I have called and left him a message and sent emails but I don''t know if he''s around right now. I also don''t know about the setting. She is a simple girl with simple tastes, but I would say her favorite past era would be either the 50s or art-deco. Something low profile, durable and made of platinum. Please help me put this ring together by next week. Someone tell Richard to call me back. Then I was probably going to have it set in a temporary setting somewhere local. Where should I go locally for nice settings?? Also, How do I guess her ring size? She has tiny hands so I am guessing she''s a 4.

Thanks.
My fiance just purchased my stone from Richard Homer and based on my experience, it usually takes him about a day to return calls or emails (unless you happen to catch him right when he''s on the computer--which I''m guessing is not very often). His work is spectacular and I don''t blame you for wanting a stone from him. My fiance proposed with a diamond eternity band with the promise that we could pick out my ring together. I plan on using the eternity band as my wedding ring, but your girlfriend could always wear it as a right hand ring too.

I do know that Richard ships 2 day UPS once the stone is bought so if he has exactly what you''re looking for in stock you might get it in time to put it in a temporary setting, but I would also advise you not to rush the process and take as much time you need to find the perfect stone.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
You have almost zero chance of getting anything decent in a week.

Take some time to find the right ring - why not involve her in the purchase...

Propose with a placeholder ring and then go shopping.

My FI proposed without the ring, he then gave me an antique diamond and sapphire eternity band that I wear when I can't wear my e-ring, and we designed the real e-ring together.

Lots of girls on PS were engaged without the ring (In the UK it's not that common to be proposed to WITH a ring) and participated in the choosing process. It's very romantic!

ETA: I work a lot with Wink. He turned a ring around for me in 2 weeks in a crisis situation and we already had the stone. That was FAST. Normally expect around 6 weeks with any manufacturer and that's not counting the time spent looking for the stone.

You would also need to get a calibrated stone or else you need a custom setting.

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t believe you can''t get anything.

Go here. www.icestore.com Look under "products" then "luminous sapphires" He has plenty of Homer sapphs

And then have him put it in one of his settings. He has plenty of them. Very nice and helpful guy too.

Go for it.

Over and out.

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a plan. This one is what I would call "cornflower blue"

http://www.icestore.com/sapphires/sapphire_detail.asp?ID=77

if you like that, get it or one of the other ones. Send it to Dan at Stone Oak Jewelers in San Antionio. He has a website. Google it. He makes gloriously beautiful stuff and he can turn it around very fast if you know what you want. I have spoken to him too, he is a great guy.

I hate it when people tell me I can't do something.

You're going to be using a lot of Fed Ex here. LOL

Here's two other possiblities. ARe you in NY by any chance where you could eyeball this yourself?

http://www.newyorkestatejewelry.com/item.cfm?int_item_id=5362&category_id=3

and this seller is very good. People on this site have bought from them. I have bought from them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-86CT-CUSHION-CUT-SAPPHIRE-AND-DIA-RING-VINTAGE-W-G_W0QQitemZ130237579766QQihZ003QQcategoryZ67727QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Yeah anythings possible. You could get your stone and then have a local jeweler ( one that you trust) to get it into a simple solitaire setting.

Just wanted to add though, an extra couple of weeks would be nice.

GL!

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Folks might be dead on with suggesting that you get a place-holder ring, and pick it together...that would be such a fun thing to do together, but waiting is hard...

Anyway, since it is fun to look and you would need something premade to meet your deadline, here is my vote for a tiny and fantastically colored ring

Whatever you pick, love it...and be darn sure she will as she will be sporting it for a long time.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ricahard travels a lot, he could very well be out of town, and that''s why you haven''t heard back.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Good luck with this, SoonExBachelor. And welcome to Pricescope.

I wish you the very best of luck in your search: sometimes the perfect sapphire comes along right away, and sometimes it can take months (I have just purchased my stone from Jeff White after about 4 months of looking).

One thing I have learned, however, is how difficult it is to photograph a sapphire, and have the pic relate to the true colour of the stone. It is extremely hard to judge from a photograph. Here is a link below. Scroll down about half way to the bottom, and you''ll see a row of six sapphires. They all look different, but are, in fact, the same stone photographed under different lighting conditions.

http://www.wildfishgems.com/sapphire_on_photo

For what it''s worth: she''s going to be wearing this ring for a long time. Sapphires are harder to buy sight unseen than some diamonds, as the colour is so subjective.

Take your time and get it as close to right as you can. Better yet, involve her in the process if that can work for you.

LS

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
When I picture a gem of periwinkle blue, I think of my oval spinel (on the right...sorry about the dry hands):

umbalite_spinel002.jpg

Maybe you could find a similar spinel? They are supposed to be fairly durable for jewelry though not as hard as sapphires. I purchased mine from www.acstones.com . If you''re looking for deco settings, I would try Van Craeynest or Beverly K. You can find Beverly K at Pearlman''s, though I don''t think you can get either in a weeks time. Good luck!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well, let''s see ... for starters, what''s your budget? With this time-frame, you might be better off buying ready-made, either with the place-holder idea, or for the real deal.

This lovely ring from the Natural Sapphire Company exemplifies what I think of as periwinkle blue: it might be a little pricey for a place-holder, though, and I''m not sure if it''s what you have in mind for a forever ring: it''s definitely low-set and simple, but I wouldn''t call it particularly Deco.

In the same general range, /www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Sapphire-Jewelry/Sapphire-Rings/Jewelry=J679" target="_blank"> seems more like what you were describing - neither of these babies is platinum, alas.

Or maybe this or this (at 10X the price of the first two) if you want to go for something a little more decadent.

If I''ve misread, and you''re *just* looking for a setting, my apologies - I''ll happily make suggestions in that department, too!

SoonExBachelor

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Since my girlfriend is not materialistic, and also since I realized it was closer to her favorite color than most sapphires, I bought an Aquamarine from Richard Homer and had it set (at the last minute!!!) in platinum by a local jeweler who seems like a great guy: Jose (J) Chapa Hernandez (Bellevue, WA). Picture of completed ring attached (I think it's beautiful).

Questions:

Is it tacky that the ring cost more than the stone? Are Aquas unsuitable for engagement rings? (too late now for the proposal) I don't think my girlfriend would care, and would rather me spend that money on our honeymoon anyway. In any case, I will offer her to choose a sapphire to replace it if that's what she would prefer.

The jeweler found an inclusion in the girdle that he was concerned could lead to the gem cracking on impact. I raised this issue to Richard Homer (the cutter) and he has assured me that there are no durability issues with this stone or type of inclusion. Richard has offered to exchange the stone for a similarly sized/shaped Aqua or Sapphire with fewer inclusions at my (and my soon to be fiance's) discretion. Richard has been extremely informative and fair in my dealings with him and I believe he has our complete satisfaction in mind. Should I mention the inclusion to her if she loves the Aqua?

And yes, this process came together fast and furiously and UPS also deserves honorable mention for their superior overnight delivery performance.

I am totally excited!!! We are planning to have dinner at the Space Needle. I haven't decided at what point to pop the question yet. If I do it at the beginning, the sun won't have set yet and I think that might add to the drama of the moment if I do it at Sunset. If I wait, I won't be able to "celebrate" her acceptance with a bottle of champagne, since we will have already drunk one by then and another might get me a DUI on the drive home
2.gif

I thought about getting a limo or a hotel but I think both of those would ruin the surprise by going just a bit overboard.

IMG_0162sm.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations it looks beautiful!

You might want to mention to your FF that she shouldn''t wear the ring 24/7 as they are quite fragile and the setting doesn''t give any protection. My e-ring is a garnet and I only wear it when I''m out. When I''m at home or doing anything more dangerous than typing/shopping etc it goes in it''s box.

If she chips it, you can have it repolished.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on getting the ring done and more importantly, on proposing!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Very nice ring. Good luck with the proposal, and please come back with more pictures!
36.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
emlove.gif
GOOD LUCK WITH THE PROPOSAL!!
emlove.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring and best wishes for the proposal. Please come back with hand shots.

Linda

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dude. My BF said, "That''s pretty." to your ring. HE NEVER USES THAT WORD FOR JEWELRY.

Seriously. I think it''s beautiful. And so does BF. YAY!

I do hope you come back with hand shots!!!!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Simple and elegant! Good luck with the proposal! My DH proposed before dinner so we could celebrate during the meal. I thought that was great, but then again I''m married to him!

Good luck and best wishes!

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely beautiful! Great job!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful ring and stone. I really love aquas and I bet your FI will as well. I can''t wait to see some hand shots. Good luck on your proposal.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! And you got it done in a week too!

PawnShopHustler

Rough_Rock
36.gif

The ring is beautiful. Keep us updated!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Cool ring! How did it go?
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results