shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find this OEC antique setting?

pigletsf

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I''ve been browsing through the forums for countless hours, trying to look for this particular setting and it just dawned on me, why not ask the experts themselves! Everyone here is so wonderful & helpful.

I know all about the best sources for antique style settings including singleston, erica grace, faycullen, artdecodiamonds.com, antiqueenagementrings.com, etc.

so i saw this setting a year ago at an antique jewelry store in san francisco. it''s very unique, i''ve never seen anything quite like it.

my questions are:
-can someone tell me what kind of setting this is, so i know what to put in the search field when i am googling this ring? right now i describe it as an illusion setting with diamonds & beading in the basket. is that an accurate description?
-has anyone ever seen a setting like this?
-any recommendations on where i can find this setting, short of custom ordering it (which is expensive, and also makes me nervous in case it doesnt turn out the way i hope)

thank you everyone for your help!

1der1053_2.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
To me it looks like it is most likely a modern repro with a lovely old cut in it. Could be wrong, of course, but the very sharp millgrain and the cathedral style with the donut underneath is pretty modern. I haven''t seen anything exactly like it that I can recall, unfortunately. So I don''t have any super duper helpful suggestions since you are already familiar with the places I''d have suggested browsing. I''d probably go digging through as many antique-repro sites as you can find and maybe you''ll get lucky.

I wouldn''t probably try to describe it to a jeweler- rather, show the picture. Terminology differs. I would describe it pretty much the way you did.

You may have to go custom unfortunately, if you want exactly this setting. It''s possible the setting is a custom one already, hence the not-finding. If you do, then absolutely go with a jeweler who does antique style work and look at their other pieces. (I''m sure you know that, but it''s worth repeating
2.gif
). Greenlake Jewelers does gorgeous work, for example.

Good luck! It is a lovely setting.

I''m at work right now but I''ll check my laptop later to see what links I have saved that might be smaller sites that could be helpful.

www.wannabuyawatch.com seems to have a lot of nice repro settings- set with stones usually, but perhaps worth looking.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I was going to suggest wannabuyawatch too, or jsut send the pic to some jewelers like BGD and Whiteflash and see if they could make it custom...

pigletsf

Rough_Rock
thank you littlegreykitten & bella_mezzo!

it looks like i may need to go the custom route. can you please tell me what BGD is?

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
brian gavin diamonds:

briangavindiamonds.com

penskip

Rough_Rock
take a look at http://antiqueengagementrings.com/. they have similar settings

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
To me, that looks very similar to a setting from Fay Cullen.

Fay Cullen

I''ve seen mixed reviews about them here. Be aware that their refund/return policy stinks. I had a ring from them, and I had no problems with them. This may also give you some "inspiration" pictures to share with jewlers for custom work. Good luck.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results