shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find some tiny old mine cut diamonds!

d89s46

Rough_Rock
7C967966-8C4A-4958-96A1-27F74F2D3265.png 7F6CF6CF-E7C3-4EFF-9A44-E38472A7D7BB.png
Hello, I have an old mine cut diamond that I’m having reset into a gold band. I hoping to set some small diamonds into the shoulders and I’d like to match the OMC centre stone. I think I’ll need three tiny diamonds on each side. Can anyone help me find them? I’m based in the UK.

The setting I’m going for has similar shoulders to Ring Concierge’s antique setting. Pic above.

And here’s my stone for context. It’s super sparkly in real life.

Any thoughts on where I could source similar spec (vs2, h colour) and a rough cost?

Thank you

Attachments

• 8D49DDE7-4A43-49E6-BB81-465686903C75.jpeg
    8D49DDE7-4A43-49E6-BB81-465686903C75.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 15
  • BB8167B6-66A1-484E-A41B-95D0E06D4AA3.jpeg
    BB8167B6-66A1-484E-A41B-95D0E06D4AA3.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 8FB01588-7BE0-452E-B9CE-97A37F3647C8.png
    8FB01588-7BE0-452E-B9CE-97A37F3647C8.png
    846.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 5420F84D-DDEF-4AE2-BAC7-40073ED424BE.png
    5420F84D-DDEF-4AE2-BAC7-40073ED424BE.png
    416 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I’d be interested in learning from others about this, it’s always good to know sources. Also, your ring is stunning (both old and new settings and stone) and I wish you long life with this gorgeousness!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adam at old world diamonds

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your OMC is gorgeous and I think you need to post like a dozen more pictures of it :twisted2: also I love the petal shoulders of that ring. Actually the whole ring is beautiful.
If the person making your ring can’t source you melee-sized OMCs (quite possible) and Adam doesn’t have anything, you could consider using single cuts instead? They have fewer facets so have bigger flashes like your OMC will. I bought a single cut band to go with my OEC because the light patterns are similar. It matched too well (turns out I like complementary not matching :roll2:) so now it’s my favourite RH stacker.

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
Hi
I would say at that size you won't notice too much whether they are OMC or single cuts or modern round brilliants but I guess others might disagree :kiss2:
When I had my ring made in the UK (2.05ct OEC in a vintage style octangonal halo with 24 small diamond accents in the halo and 6 each side in the shoulders), I sourced diamond melee in Hatton garden but the stones are modern round brilliants. When I picked them up, they were so small they were like diamond dust. I remember being so impressed that anyone could possibly set them!
That's why my view is that it will be hard to tell but it does depend on the size of the side stones of course. Mine were approx 0.8-1mm.
The place I sourced from was trade only I'm afraid (I am not trade but I have a friend in the trade who sourced both my OEC and the diamond melee and allowed me to accompany him which was fascinating!)
Your diamond is amazing and I absolutely love that setting from ring concierge .It will be fantastic!
Good luck

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I would think that single cuts would blend fine and would be an easier thing to find. Probably the person doing your new setting can source those, I'd think.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

d89s46

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much everyone! I’m going to google single cuts as I’m not entirely sure what that means (still learning!). I’m going to check out everyone mentioned here for sourcing! Thank you. I’ll be sure to post when the ring’s made x

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DK made a ring for me with OEC's and asked if I wanted the melee to be old cuts too, and I told him yes, if he could find them, or single cuts if he couldn't, so I would think he could source them for you. Probably the most economical approach. And once I got my ring, they sure look like old cuts to me when I loupe them although, really, with the naked eye, I doubt it matters whichever you choose. Mine might even be a mix of old cuts and single cuts. I can't really tell. They are pretty small. But I would say the top one is definitely an old cut. Sorry I can't get a better photo.

IMG_0119.JPG

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
your omc is gorgeous! Where are you based-north, south? Because seeing single cuts and oec melee side by side first would be a good idea. And your best bet for that is either Birmingham jewellery quarter, or Hatton, or the lanes in Brighton.

Single cuts would be perfect. But if you want old cuts, and are ok with a ryanair flight to Dublin (not uk I know, but close!), Corrs in powers court is VERY competitively priced, and break up countless beautiful art deco brooches to repurpose into rings. It's quite sad really. They only do 18k for rose and yellow gold, if you want white then it's exclusively platinum. Their rings look truly antique, all handmade.

You could also shop around the lanes in Brighton. Far better prices than Hatton, and more fun. There are great places side by side with some seriously shady setups though, so be careful.

If there's a strict budget you could put in the legwork and go to pawn/gold buyers and ask them if you can sift through their scrap. If you ask nicely, they may even bring out their breakout diamonds (stones already removed from settings but too small to sell).

Whatever you do, please please come back with pics of the finished ring! :dance:

d89s46

Rough_Rock
Hello, thank you so much for your reply! I’m in Manchester but Birmingham is only 40 on the Train. I’m totally intrigued by Corrs though. Do they sell loose diamonds, as well as handmake rings themselves to? At a good price?! I need to see this holy grail! Where are you based @737lizakg?

your omc is gorgeous! Where are you based-north, south? Because seeing single cuts and oec melee side by side first would be a good idea. And your best bet for that is either Birmingham jewellery quarter, or Hatton, or the lanes in Brighton.

Single cuts would be perfect. But if you want old cuts, and are ok with a ryanair flight to Dublin (not uk I know, but close!), Corrs in powers court is VERY competitively priced, and break up countless beautiful art deco brooches to repurpose into rings. It's quite sad really. They only do 18k for rose and yellow gold, if you want white then it's exclusively platinum. Their rings look truly antique, all handmade.

You could also shop around the lanes in Brighton. Far better prices than Hatton, and more fun. There are great places side by side with some seriously shady setups though, so be careful.

If there's a strict budget you could put in the legwork and go to pawn/gold buyers and ask them if you can sift through their scrap. If you ask nicely, they may even bring out their breakout diamonds (stones already removed from settings but too small to sell).

Whatever you do, please please come back with pics of the finished ring! :dance:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results