shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find engraving patterns

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I''m searching for examples of engraving patterns that can be added to rings. I''m looking for something loose and vine-like that doesn''t occupy every surface of the metal. I''d like something informal. Flowers on the vines would be pretty too.

I know that some of you jewelry lovers have things saved in folders. Would you be so kind as to share them with me?

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi upgradeable :)

have a look at this page...

http://www.jewelryexpert.com/catalog/Art-of-the-Engraver.htm

this jeweler uses a *very* talented engraver.

but *this* is my favorite engraver...

http://www.johnwthompson.net/

he''s engraving my remade original yellow gold wedding ring. he''s also the guy who made THE ring in the Lord of the Ring trilogy. his stuff is unreal, and he''s listed on the ''Australia''s 100 living treasures'' list which is a national roll of merit for master arts and craftsmen in Australia. VERY good - getting something by him will be a real thrill.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Whitby, what great examples, however they''re still a bit too intricate for what I see in my mind.

I''m imagining some very loose vine/leaf/flower engraving. I''m looking for examples of engraving all over the net. I''m envisioning something really loose and flowy, showing mostly just the polished gold, but with curly vines (like sweetpeas) running in, out, and around it. Does that make any sense at all?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here''s some inspiration for the type of vines I''m thinking of. I don''t want it to be deep relief engraving, but more a surface decoration. Imagine a vine curling around and blossoming on the gold.

sweet peas small.JPG

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
wow, upgradable! who *wouldnt* want that on a ring! i love sweet peas too. :)

the first link i sent had various different patterns, some lighter than others. i wondered if these 2 below might be the type of thing you were interested in. the point about an engraver this good, tho, is that they seem to be wizards at interpreting what it is you want, and could probably do whatever it was you had in mind. sweet peas twining themselves around your ring would be just lovely!

engraved rings.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whitby, those 2 you just posted, are they from the engraver you mentioned above? I''ve not gone to look at the link yet, but those 2 rings are gorgeous!

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi packrat :)

yes, they are. i know a little about diamonds, tho not nearly as much as some people here. not even close. (like, think ''nuthin''!) but engraving really *is* my thing. much as i love diamonds, i enjoy gold work even more, and engraving is a passion for me. if you like the two on this page, do have a look at these links - the work on them is top notch.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooo I looked and wow, the talent!! I sent an email to ask about that Woodland Flowers one..not something we can afford right now unless it''s free, but I like to know for future reference! I like engraving a lot too, tho I don''t know the first thing about it, other than to say "oh that''s pretty".

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2009 8:10:25 PM
Author: packrat
Ooo I looked and wow, the talent!! I sent an email to ask about that Woodland Flowers one..not something we can afford right now unless it''s free, but I like to know for future reference! I like engraving a lot too, tho I don''t know the first thing about it, other than to say ''oh that''s pretty''.

but packrat! that''s the main prerequisite!

31.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Those are gorgeous!! I do have a couple of extra 10 point oecs that could be incorporated into the design, flush mount those babies into the design! I especially love the light nature of the second one. I don''t want a deeply engraved, dimensional design, just a suggestion of vines and blossoms. Oooooo..... quite beautiful!

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
upgradable -

i''ve seen the first one - woodland flowers - done in platinum with a hot pink sapphire in the center of each flower - so, really, a scatter ring type arrangement, but with a flower around it. it was STUNNING. flush mounted hot pink sapphires in platinum flowers...i mean - WOW!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooo I didn''t think about putting little oec''s into it..gah this place is so bad for me to be. I believe I need an oec solitaire and that engraved band as my new wedding set..Even my no-interest-in-jewelry husband thought the band was pretty..now to convince him to move up my waiting period!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whitby, did you see it in person or on the internet?

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2009 8:25:52 PM
Author: packrat
Whitby, did you see it in person or on the internet?

packrat -

it was on the internet, but it''s gone now. her things are often for sale and occasionally she''ll do a design in a couple of different ways. this one was stunning. i love the idea of an OEC solitaire and a matching band in this design :D

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I''m a little obsessed..I''ve emailed a few places asking questions, even tho it''s a project a year or 2 down the road. And I never had an interest in diamonds until I started looking at pictures here and reading about them.

Upgradable, someone posted a thread about her rose gold band, and it had pretty engraving on it. Did you see that one? It comes in yellow and white gold too. It''s lovely!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Packrat, that band is the closest thing to what I''ve envisioned! Thank you!!

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe like this? It has leaves instead of flowers tho....

main kim maitland.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results