shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sam82

Shiny_Rock
I am dead set on having Mark Morrell set a gemstone for me. I love the color purple, so I''m thinking of a purple sapphire. I may even be willing to set a spinel. My question is, where do you go to buy the stones? I''m looking for a reputable online vendor or a store in the NYC area.

P.S. In a pinch, I''m willing to go with a pink or PADPARADSCHA sapphire.

Thanks

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
The third thread on the top of this page called, "sites selling colored gemstones and jewelry" may help.

What is your budget?
What size? Shape?
What hue(s) specifically?

We can better help you with more info.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So many choices that I''m not sure where to go; as mentioned by Coati, you must first set a budget and know roughly what mm size and shape gemstone you want. If sappphire, do you mind gentle heating or you prefer totally untreated?

I believe Natural Sapphire Company has an office in NYC but you have to make an appointment beforehand.

Sam82

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the reply. I did go to that thread, but I don''t know exactly where to start.

What is your budget? probably no more than $2000 for the stone
What size? Shape? Round about 6.5-7mm (I don''t know how carats work for sapphires)
What hue(s) specifically? Like I said, I would prefer purple, but I''m willing to go for a light pink or salmon colored stone.
Are there any online vendors that you have specifically bought from?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
CherryPicked is also in NYC.

Otherwise, there are a few vendors I would contact if I were looking (Wink, Richard Wise). But I have never worked with these vendors. I have had good experiences with Berry at Art Cut Gems.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For $2K at 7 mm round would mean a stone of about 1.5 to 2 cts. It looks like you might need to go with a heated stone, however, a purple sapphire isn't quite "in demand", so you might be able to find an unheated for that price.

Pinks and pads are more likely to break your budget.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Ltl I like your new avatar!

Natural Sapphire Company would be a good place, as others have said, to get started. If you don't see anything you like, you can contact some cutters to see if they have anything or can cut you anything.

PSers have had good experiences with Barry at http://www.acstones.com, Jeff at http://www.whitesgems.com, Ricahrd http://www.concavegems.com, Gary http://www.finewatergems.com, Dan http://www.customgemstones.com and Gene http://www.precisiongem.com. Those are the ones I'm familiar with anyway!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Purple should be pretty easy. You may want to contact some vendors and have something cut for you. This cushion is a pretty color and within budget, but not round.

ETA: This purple is round but shy of 6.5mm

Sam82

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone. You have been very helpful. I will continue my research. I would love to get an amethyst, but I don''t think that it is hard enough. Mr. Morrell said yes to a sapphire and spinel, so I''ll have to stick with those.

thanks again.

Sam82

Shiny_Rock
mercoledi, that was a beautiful stone.

Last question (I think). Has anyone worked with Angara?

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I''d rather have a really nice spinel than a sapphire. The dispersion on spinels is better, you get more flash/fire than I''ve seen off of good natural sapphires. I don''t know for sure if that''s because of the rutiles in sapphs, or what, but that''s my experience so far. I would contact Barry Bridgestock at ACS and see if he has anything else like this purple spinel.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spinels have better dispersion than sapphires (coloured light return) but they tend to look "cold" whereas sapphires have a "warmer" look to them.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
That''s absolutely true. I suppose I don''t mind cold, personally. Is that also due to the silk?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/17/2009 9:31:07 PM
Author: mercoledi
That''s absolutely true. I suppose I don''t mind cold, personally. Is that also due to the silk?
I don''t think so because even heated sapphires (silk is fused when heated) have a warmer look than spinels. It must be just their chemical composition and structure.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a huge fan of purple stones--had even suggested a purple sapphire for my e-ring but df thought otherwise--so I can''t wait to see your project! That being said, I wanted to alert you to iolite another pretty purple stone. Amethysts, are tricky because over time they will fade from exposure to sunlight. I''ve had earrings with amethysts that I hardly ever wear, yet have gone from a deep purple to a pale lilac in a matter of 15 years. I think for a ring, I''d personally want something with a little more color staying power. Good luck! NSC is a good jump off point for sapphires.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not fond of iolite because the colour can never match a sapphire''s colour. Iolites also tend to be more bluish than purple. They were marketed as a sapphire replacement but somehow never quite caught on.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m interested in seeing what you find. And what everyone posts for you.
1.gif

And I''d go for Spinel too. And then Sapphire.

Also, this is the first time I''ve heard of Amethysts fading. Besides the green stuff...

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 11:42:07 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I''m interested in seeing what you find. And what everyone posts for you.
1.gif

And I''d go for Spinel too. And then Sapphire.

Also, this is the first time I''ve heard of Amethysts fading. Besides the green stuff...

Me too! I had no idea - my mom''s amethysts still look dark and purply (from a decade ago) but then again I don''t think they''ve been exposed to that much sunlight. Hmm....

lavenderlill

Rough_Rock
Some of the vendors on the suggested vednor thread sort their stones by color. Perhaps it would be nice to browse through those choices and then go back to the person doing the work with a few favorites that he could give his opinion of. Spinel would certainly be more budget friendly than, at least, untreated sapphie, but you never know what stone will speak to you. You might find the right stone by accident almost.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/17/2009 10:07:07 PM
Author: Chrono
I am not fond of iolite because the colour can never match a sapphire's colour. Iolites also tend to be more bluish than purple. They were marketed as a sapphire replacement but somehow never quite caught on.
Yes, iolite is also a cheaper alternative to tanzanite, but they're very dichroic Unfortunately for iolite, one axis will always look very grey. However, some can face up a very pretty blue/violet. It depends on how well the faceter tried to cut the table perpendicular to the grey axis, and the rough as well.

I too have also never heard of amethysts fading.
33.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I have had a piece of amethysts (a rough stone) sitting on my shelf. I have had it since I was 6. It has not faded yet.

Sam82

Shiny_Rock
Now I''m leading towards Spinel. Thanks everyone.

As far as Amythst goes, my understanding is that it is not durable enough for everyday wear. It is a 6.5-7 on the Mohs scale. Spinel is 8 and Sapphire is 9, which would be a better choice since it will be set in a solitaire.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a word of caution ............ I''ve spent 2 years looking for the perfect colour purple sapphire. The colours range considerably so it''s worth seeing some in person before you make up your mind.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results