shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a Solitaire Setting for my Oval!!

KLS123

Rough_Rock
This is my first time posting so I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this but I thought I would give it a try...

My BF has an Oval 1.48ct diamond that is roughly 6.67mm x 9.4mm x 3.63mm and we want to get it set in a 14kt white gold solitaire setting that costs from $200-$350. However after hours upon hours of various google searches and looking in every jewelry store we pass I can't seem to find any settings that I like and I think something custom made will be out of our price range. I will make my solitaire wish list and if any of you have seen something that meets this criteria PLEASE point me in that direction :) :)

Solitaire Wish List:
2mm or skinnier band
Tiffany style or integrated head (low-set)
no tapering, engraving, cathedrals or shoulders
rounded or comfort fit band style
4 prong
rounded prongs preferably
I could do a basket but something as dainty as possible

I tend to really like the Brain Gavin "Grace" solitaire but that is waaaaay out of my price range for a solitaire setting and the claws on the prongs are a little too large and pointy for my taste....

Thanks!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

KLS123

Rough_Rock
I am afraid a 6 prong will make my oval look like a marquise so I was hoping a basket would add a little extra security, that is something to take into consideration though...

I am open to ebay, thanks for the tip I will have to check them out!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the one tyty posted

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1341507070|3228975 said:
Your standard solitaire is going to be about all you can get at that price point. Almost every jeweler carries Stuller. Here are a 6 prong and a 4 prong basket setting for an oval. I strongly encourage you to get 6 prongs because your two ends would be very exposed and in danger of getting chipped if you used a 4 prong setting.
I agree about the six prongs being safer. I have an oval that was originally set in a four prong solitaire, I was dead set on a four prong. After wearing my ring for a few months I was constantly feeling the two ends scratching against pockets, purses, everything. I became paranoid and changed it to a six and couldn't be happier. I was worried about mine looking like like a marquise as well, but instead the delicate prongs make it look like a bigger oval!

KLS123

Rough_Rock
Well after talking with my BF he says he is comfortable going up to $550 on the setting so we are waiting to hear back from some local jewelers on quotes for a custom made piece. I am starting to reconsider the 4 prong vs 6 prong decision. I just want as little metal and as much diamond showing as possible but I do need to be realistic about the practicality of that...

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
A six prong head should not make your oval look like a marquise and it will protect the ends. I don't know about you, but I end up knocking the ends of the stone as I'm putting my hands into or pulling them out of drawers and such. No way would I not protect the ends of the stone!

liz

tulip07a.jpg

angietime

Rough_Rock
http://www.uniquesettings.com/products/show/22035

This was my first mounting, before we made a custom double claw. Using 14k white gold is much stronger, the platinum I felt needed the extra prongage.

305084_260174157349509_1726178336_n.jpg 317827_260968273936764_539757000_n.jpg 312132_260968380603420_947285210_n_0.jpg

Also, prongs being rounded is something the setter can do. I opted for the triangular, but the casting always comes out the same

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results