shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a sapphire for my RHR project!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/9/2007 6:00:05 PM
Author: Kit
Well, I got another pic from Adam on that stone. It does appear to have some blackish areas, although I am just not sure whether this is caused by the lighting or if this is what the stone looks like in real life...
33.gif
It seems like there is no window, right?
Kit,
I don''t see any windows but the stone looks super dark. I think away from the strong photography lighting, the stone will appear even darker in person, almost blackish, with blue flashes.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/10/2007 9:33:01 PM
Here is a photo from the stone from Barbara. It seems like there''s a window, no?

ETA she says the stone is eye clean.
I don''t see a window. The cutting looks good and if she says its eye clean, I''ll take her word for it. Plus, it looks like the side inclusion will be hidden by the prong when set anyway. I really like the stone but I know you don''t like the sapphire to be that light. We can''t seem to find a happy medium.
37.gif

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
I know!!
8.gif

I mean, I think it is a pretty stone. I am just not in love with it, and I feel that I should go with something I am super excited about. It's not necessarily that it's light, but it's just that periwinkle blue or whatever you want to call it--I'm not excited about it. It if had more of a greenishneess to it, then maybe I would like it more.

Anyhow, I found this site http://www.faisongems.com which seems to have some nice offerings. He is located in NC so returns would be reasonable. I asked him about a few stones because the photos are small and so hopefully he'll get back to me soon.

Another question--I noticed that Whiteflash is advertising on their site about colored stones. I will most likely go with them for the setting. Is there some kind of drawback to their hunting down a stone for me, and moreover, is it possible that they could get a better deal as a jeweler?

Chrono--thank you for your help!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It never hurts to ask WF to find out more about their pricing. I know they have sourced blue sapphires as sidestones quite often and those chosen look lovely.

Ask for side view and back view of the stones from faisongems.

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
Well, WF told me that it would cost $1500 for a stone of my specifications (!!). I said I would keep looking on my own for a bit.

What about this stone? I inquired about it and John at Simply Sapphires says its "Well cut, no window, vibrant color with minimal color zoning"

I''m definitely in love with the shape, I like the color, and it fits my budget. Here''s the link: http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/imagesblue2006/bluecns448a-sm.html

Thoughts anyone?

SimpSapp1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The price seems awfully cheap for an unheated 1.7 carat blue sapphire. Any side view pictures?

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
Well, no side view pics are on the website. Why are these important to see? (just trying to learn)

The dimensions are 7.8x5.6x4.2mm so I didn''t think that it was super deep or anything.

Here is a bottom picture. Do you think I should order it in?

SimpSapp1bottom.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Side view to better see the cutting:
1. Do the facet points meet properly
2. Checking the evenness of the girdle
3. Checking the centerness of the culet
4. Checking crown height

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, you''re so knowledgeable! I see what you''re saying, like the proportions of the stone may be wonky and that is why it is bargain priced. Also maybe the girdle is carrying more carat weight. Good points. I am emailing John those questions now. Thanks!

Also, he says it''s eye clean.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only wish I were knowledgeable. I have so much yet to learn.
12.gif
Cutting in gemstones isn''t as precise as in diamonds but they do play an important part in how the gemstone looks. A low crown height also affects how brilliant or dull the stone looks. His pictures could be poor because I don''t see much "liveliness" in the sapphire. The colour is pretty though.

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm. Interesting. Well you know a lot more than I do, so I am benefiting tremendously from your generous help here.

I wonder if I just need to order it and see it in person? Maybe it won''t be a perfect stone but I will like it anyway? At the end of the day, I just want something that is pretty.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/12/2007 10:04:01 AM
Hmm. Interesting. Well you know a lot more than I do, so I am benefiting tremendously from your generous help here.

I wonder if I just need to order it and see it in person? Maybe it won''t be a perfect stone but I will like it anyway? At the end of the day, I just want something that is pretty.
It is quite possible that you may love it. Have you checked his return policy? Payment policy? Since you are getting an untreated stone, what proof of non-treatment does he give?

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
Return policy is from 10 days of receipt, less shipping and insurance, which I am okay with. I can pay with a credit card so that is good too. I am not totally sure of the certification process but I do know that I can have them send it to AGTA for certification if I so choose. I think I have to select that option prior to my receiving it though. But I''m not sure at this price that I would mind if it were heated, you know? I guess I do want to know that it is a natural (non-synthetic) sapphire. But I do know that PS members have bought from him before, and have been happy.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I haven't bought anything from him before so I am more cautious. Let me know your opinion on the sapphire and your buying experience when you receive it. It never hurts to have more vendor options. Well, that's not 100% true; my wallet hurts all the time now.
9.gif

Are you going to have someone look at it to be sure it isn't synthetic or something else? I'm thinking it is probably real but are you taking any chances? Just wondering.

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
You are asking all the right questions! Well I am not totally sure but I think what I might do is order it, play with it for a day or so, and if I decide to keep it then might get an independent appraisal just to verify what I have purchased.

I will let you know how it goes! Thanks again Chrono.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Delicious!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Ask her for a better picture. It's a wee small to see everything properly, but I like the colour.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
While I can't recommend planetarygems, this is only because I have never bought there. I have had them in my favorites for years. In all this time I have never heard a single bad thing about them.

The picture in the link you posted is a sapphire of a diffrent color than is most sought after. Nothing wrong with that. I try to collect such things my self.

While the cut is quite deep. I think that will be a very "lively" stone. The extinction I think is from the camera blocking light from the stone. I would not be surpized if the sapphire is a little lighter in person though.

It kind of reminds me of a very nice aquamarine.

I like it!!

Doug

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is beautiful, Kit! What a lovely find. Very unsual colour and cut.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Love the color on that sapphire; very stunning indeed.

In looking at their alternative gems, I couldn''t believe that they recommended fluorite as an alternative to emerald. Maybe it is in the mystical sense, but not really in the day-to-day sense.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results