shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a pretty but cheap 8X6 oval!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I''m FINALLY resetting that garnet. Woo-hoo! I went into a jeweler and asked him if he could just get the garnet out of the crooked LOGR setting and he got it out no problem (other jewlers said that taking it out would damage the stone
20.gif
) and I have a yellow gold Stuller setting for it on the way! I figured the LOGR one wouldn''t be re-usable because the other jewelers said it would SURELY break, but he said to go ahead and find a stone for it, just nothing expensive because it wouldn''t be real sturdy. He said he could re-build the prongs for around $40. So-- I''m looking for something CHEAP!!! Any color will do, as long as it''s pretty, and I''d like the stone to be absolutely NO BIGGER than 8.00 x 6.00. Any ideas?? Here is the setting:)

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
oops here it is:)

garnetsetting1a.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What color do you want? Topaz (depending on variety) and Amethyst are both pretty cheap...

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Freke. I wasn''t looking too hard for an amethyst because I already have a ring with amethysts that I wear on occasion. If the perfect one came along I might change my mind, but I was leaning towards something not red or purple. I especially like greens, pinks, and blues, but really anything will do. Right now I''m just scanning the sites I usually look at for an oval the right size, but I figured you guys might know of more places to look.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
How much would you like to spend?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Definitely no more than $200, but I''d like to keep it more like $100, considering the setting won''t be very sturdy.

I found a few stones I thought were nice, I''ll post links to see what you guys think:)

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Mali%209a.jpg

option 1

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Boo it didn''t work. Here''s the linkhttp://www.artcutgems.com/item.php?item_id=550&page=3&category_id=46

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I''m definitely open to other suggestions as well. Thanks in advance for letting me know what you think!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, either the Mali garnet or the Namibian tourmaline.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Wow that is a lot of choices! Thank you mercoledi!

Now since I am pretty much clueless about colored stones, can you guys help me figure out what is the best value for the money, or which would just be the prettiest choice?

A lot of these seem REALLY cheap, am I missing anything?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Apatite is really too soft for a ring. The sunstone looks interesting but I think I would set that in yellow gold. The two malaya garnets are pretty as are the tourmaline and zircon. They''re probably priced cheaply because the brown modifier in the garnets and zircon is likely more apparent than in the pictures. Yellow-green isn''t a hugely popular color for tourmaline.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks:) I think my overall favorite is the Mali, but it''s a lot more expensive and this is supposed to be a "dirt cheap" fun purchase. I like the Zircon, but that one seems like it would look better in yellow gold too.

Do you think the rhodolites from gemrite are worth the price difference from the "pinky" ones that mercoledi posted? They look completely different in the pics, but they all look pretty to me. Then again, I know next to nothing.
2.gif

And that acg tourmaline is also one of my favorites. Any concerns there?

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Yikes! For some reason I misread your budget as $50. For $200 you can get way, way more. The stones are cheap because they're not great cuts and probably all window unless they're opaque. Is there anything at all that you'd prefer?

Try the garnet at the bottom of this page. Or this golden chrysoberyl oval, also bottom of the page.

The ACG tourmaline looks good, the cheapo pink is probably browner than the other pinks you posted.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
If possible I''d like a nice cut, a pretty color and a little sparkle factor, keeping the price as close to $100 as possible. The setting isn''t really worth much, and I don''t want to lose an expensive stone should it break. I know I can''t expect wonders, but some of the stones around $100 look pretty nice to my untrained, uninformed eye
1.gif

Off to work now, looking forward to shopping later!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pretty Topaz $196

I think it's stunning...Nothing else that I found on ACS was in your price range or not 8x6mm.

ETA: Didn't see anything on Dan's site either.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I actually saw that too, but I thought it would be waste to put that in my setting. It seems like it would look better in a warmer color metal. What do you guys think?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it would stand out better in white. Then again, I''m not a warm metal kind of girl.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Ok:) The only other thing holding me back is the price. Not that it''s too high, but I do like some of the ones that are almost half that price.

Does Dan Stair ever cut ovals? I haven''t seen many, but one of those blue spinels (even one with some gray in it) would strike my fancy in a big way! It would match my favorite jeans!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 11:12:06 PM
Author: Kelli
Ok:) The only other thing holding me back is the price. Not that it's too high, but I do like some of the ones that are almost half that price.

Does Dan Stair ever cut ovals? I haven't seen many, but one of those blue spinels (even one with some gray in it) would strike my fancy in a big way! It would match my favorite jeans!

You should ask! Or ask Barry - his supernova ovals are to die for. I love the idea of blue in that setting!

Ooh or something green? A green tourmaline?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I may ask, but I''ll wait a while and see if something comes up first. I am most certainly in no rush!

The art cut gems tourmaline I posted above is bluish-greenish and keeps calling my name. It''s also only around $100. Is there anything really wrong with it?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 12:53:06 AM
Author: Kelli
I may ask, but I''ll wait a while and see if something comes up first. I am most certainly in no rush!

The art cut gems tourmaline I posted above is bluish-greenish and keeps calling my name. It''s also only around $100. Is there anything really wrong with it?

It looks quite nice to me. It may be somewhat darker in person than in the photo but your best bet is to call or email Richard and ask him. He''s nice guy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results