shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Find a Pendant Solitaire Stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
Hi all - I''m treating myself to a birthday/xmas gift, a martini solitaire pendant from Whiteflash link. My total budget is $1000. Help me find a stone!

I''ve looked and found quite a few stones in the .35-.41 range for under $800...and it seems like when I plug any of those options into the HCA, they all come up with EX/VGs...but I''m not sure which EX/VG to focus on. And it seems like some of the ACAs have been cheaper than the Expert Selection? I thought that ES would be slightly less than ACAs?

Since the quality of ACA/ES stones are so high, I think my main focus is size for the $$. Thanks in advance for any suggested stones!!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Coda has picked some lovely possibilities for your pendant! I really kind of like that expert selection diamond she posted. On the HCA I like to have excellent for everything except spread which is typically very good for most stones.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/4/2006 5:57:22 PM
Author: Sundial
Coda has picked some lovely possibilities for your pendant! I really kind of like that expert selection diamond she posted. On the HCA I like to have excellent for everything except spread which is typically very good for most stones.
Ditto...i''d for sure choose that ideal cut third stone! It looks beautiful and gets you a little more size than the other two!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
I like the 3rd one too. Is this the color/clarity range you were thinking of?

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Coda, DiamondSeeker, Sundial and Starryeyed...I''m happy to report that that ES diamond was already in my wishlist
1.gif
. I also had the following saved, but since I''m a RB novice, really don''t understand the pros/cons of them (other than being cheaper):

https://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-116838.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-116834.htm

And then of course I couldn''t help but look at a budgetbuster: https://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-122943.htm Is it worth the extra $ to gain the extra carats/.32 in diameter?

I don''t mind going lower in color and clarity as long as its eye clean/faces up white/sparkly.

Thanks all for your help selecting the one!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
I still like the ES.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
If it were me I would still pick that Expert Selection stone and have it set it in full bezel to give it a slightly bigger look. I have a .5 carat pendant in a full bezel and the setting makes it look so much larger for its size.

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
Interesting! I liked the martini setting the best, but the bezel is a close second as long as it doesn''t look clunky. I like the idea of the solitaire ''floating'' on my neck. And...I see martini studs in my future...would that sway you away from the martini soliaire instead of the bezel?

And since I can''t help but make it more complicated, what about this? http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00163997&keyword_search_value=LD00163997 I guess I had it in my head lower color, flouresence would get me a deal...but there''s nothing wrong with the ES

9.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately, I can''t really read the crown and pavilion angles on the cert, otherwise I''d run an HCA for you. This stone is a little bigger than the ES from WF, the clarity grade is a little better, but it''s one color grade down. If you are not that color sensitive, it probably won''t be an issue. Looks like it might be a good one, but I''d try to get the angles before making a decision.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to highjack but while I looked for diamonds for earrings I noticed that all the ones I chose did indeed get excellent for everything and VG for spread on the HCA. I thought there must be something wrong with all the diamonds I chose. Why is this the case?

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2006 9:48:20 PM
Author: jazmine

Sorry to highjack but while I looked for diamonds for earrings I noticed that all the ones I chose did indeed get excellent for everything and VG for spread on the HCA. I thought there must be something wrong with all the diamonds I chose. Why is this the case?
Jazmine I''m no expert, but in reading Garry''s threads on the HCA it sounds like the stones that get excellent on spread are a little larger for their carat weight but they are shallower stones so this is not necessarily desirable.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2006 8:56:35 PM
Author: piccolascimmia
Interesting! I liked the martini setting the best, but the bezel is a close second as long as it doesn''t look clunky. I like the idea of the solitaire ''floating'' on my neck. And...I see martini studs in my future...would that sway you away from the martini soliaire instead of the bezel?

And since I can''t help but make it more complicated, what about this? http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00163997&keyword_search_value=LD00163997 I guess I had it in my head lower color, flouresence would get me a deal...but there''s nothing wrong with the ES

9.gif
I have not seen Whiteflash''s bezel setting in person, but the one I have is not clunky at all. I have martini studs myself and have no problem with the pendant being set differently. I do like the floating look of the martini stud, but the bezel does make the diamond look bigger. Maybe you should ask Whiteflash about the tendency for "flipping" with either style to help you decide.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
If you do get a bezel, try to get a thinner one. If they haven''t changed the one on their website, it is very thick, and I actually had this setting and changed it out to the martini one. It was just way too thick and flopped all around on my neck. Also, I don''t know what length chain you are used to, but mostly they come in 16 inch chains. I have found that is just too short for me, and I prefer 18 inch chains. They will make a chain longer than 16 inches if you want it.

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
Great info all, thanks so much. I''ll probably go ahead and contact whiteflash now to see about the stone. I think I''m still stuck on the martini setting, but we''ll see what happens. Good info on the chain, too...I need to find out what length my favorite necklace is...

If anyone finds a better stone, let me know! Or maybe I should ask folks to stay on the lookout for ~.8 TCW stones for the martini studs
17.gif

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Piccola. I''m sure those other stones are nice, but that G would still be my top choice. J is a-whole-nother color group! G-H-I-J. Holy smokes - big difference! I wouldn''t trade the color AND size for the ACA designation - the ES you chose is REALLY nicely cut. However, if you think the ACA is worth the premium, then maybe you should think smaller with more color. Hard to say - it''s really your preference. I''d opt ES....

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
I''m falling into the self-doubt morass...I got a coupon from Blue Nile, and found this HCA 1.0 rated stong blue flourescence (which I''d have to put in a bezel setting, which I think I''m ok with):

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&pid=LD00287124&filter_id=5

If I did it via BN then total cost for the whole shebang is 723, but if i go with the WF, its 962. That difference almost pays for my .25tcw studs from WF...

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
Starry, good point...when I found my ER, I ended up liking the whiter colors...so reminding me about the difference from a G to a J is very good.

Ok, so what about an I with strong blue flourescence? Or is the BN lack of photos/sarin/ideal the downfall of not knowing if its as visually beautiful?

I wind myself up in knots trying to be frugal/responsible with money (especially on such a luxury item!), and this second-guessing is what happens
14.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Piccola, I wouldn''t buy a diamond sight-unseen, although I''m sure a lot of people do. Can BN send you a photo? The specs look good on the BN diamond - I guess it comes down to your personal feeling about floro. You go up in size slightly 4.95 mm vs. 4.88 mm, but down in color G to I. I guess you probably think the floro helps the color? Maybe this is a good compromise if you are price sensitive.

I guess I would also wonder about the craftmanship of the two settings. Does one setting look more appealing to you than the other?

Do you know what BN''s upgrade policy is vs. WF? This might impact your decision.

Aside from the money, what is your gut telling you?

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
Starry...I know I can''t go wrong with the WF option, but IF (a big if, I know) the BN diamond is good...then I''m price sensitive enough to see that I could have my cake and eat it too! I could get the BN pendant and the WF earrings for the same price as just the pendant alone at WF.

I am hoping that the I/strong flour counteract each other, and just called BN. They can''t get a photo of the diamond, but are calling the supplier to ask for a visual on the inclusions (strange, its not plotted on the GIA report?) and the I/Fl whiteness.

I guess I also have thought that since BN''s return policy is so simple...I could return it if I didn''t like it, but then I run the risk of the WF stone being sold.

I wish I weren''t so price sensitive...

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
I know what you mean - who wants to spend $$ needlessly! I wish I knew BN''s upgrade policy. If you think that you will ever want to upgrade, I''d hate to see you save money on the front-end and then lose it on the back-end. If BN''s upgrade policy is as good as WF''s, then you can decide more clearly.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Blue Nile doesn''t have an upgrade policy, so if you want a bigger diamond in the future, you will have to just purchase it without getting the credit for your current diamond. I can see why you would go with the Blue Nile pendant to save money, but if you think you might upgrade sometime in the future, you will actually end up spending more money to purchase a brand new diamond at that time.

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
I don''t *think* I''ll upgrade the pendant...so that doesn''t greatly concern me. I guess once I really saw how big either pendant is on my neck, then I''d have a better idea if upgrading somewhere down the line would really be a desire...

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
Assuming that BN calls me back to tell me the inclusions/flourescence look fine, I think I''m going to buy both and return the one I like less
17.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a plan Piccola. Be sure to let us know what happens and post photos! I''m anxious to hear the results.

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for hanging in with me...i know I should be more patient, but once I start researching something, I want to get it decided and done!

After I figured out I could buy both and return the one I liked less...my anxiety lessed a little bit :) Making the decision blind would have bothered me, but seeing both then deciding to spend more will be a little easier to handle, I think...

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2006 1:36:48 PM
Author: piccolascimmia
Assuming that BN calls me back to tell me the inclusions/flourescence look fine, I think I'm going to buy both and return the one I like less
17.gif
Now I like this idea Piccolascimmia! You can give us an indepth report!!! At least Blue Nile does have a nice return policy.

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
BN didnt call me back yet, and I checked the diamond again and it says its sold
5.gif
So...I am looking for more BN options to try again!

What's killing me is the price of the WF setting...all the BN options are value choices when you factor in the setting.

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
Ok, half of the plan is in motion...the other BN diamond sold before I could buy it, so I instead substituted this very similar diamond:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00289050&track=rvDia_1&elem=dia_view

They say its eye clean, and I''m intrigued to see their bezel setting (I hope its really not mickey mouse ears) as well as the I color with very strong blue flourescence.

I''m next calling Katie at WF to place the other order. BN''s return policy has been extended through the holidays, so I have until January 17 to return it. I believe WF''s return policy is still the 10 days from receipt.

Yay, I''ve finally gotten out of my analysis paralysis!
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results