shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a diamond...

Anthony_E

Rough_Rock
So plans have changed a bit, lol

My girlfriend has absolutely fallen in love with two settings. One setting can accommodate up to a 7.5mm stone and the other can accommodate up to an 8mm stone. Whichever I go with, I'd like to maximize the size (i.e. Get as close to 7.5 or 8 as possible). I found a great contender through a PS dealer. I requested pictures, but he cannot provide them until Monday due to Passover. In the meantime, here are the stats:

Carat: 1.52
Color: J
Clarity: VS1
Cut: GIA Excellent
HCA: 1.1 (all excellent)

Depth: 59.70
Table: 59.00
Crown: 35
Pavilion: 40.60
Measurements: 7.44 X 7.48 X 4.46

Price: ~$7,900

As I mentioned before, my girlfriend is not color sensitive, so I'm fine going with a J. Obviously I will wait for the pictures before making any final decisions, but in the meantime I'm looking to see if I can find anything "better" on paper to inquire about. Considering she'd be thrilled with the 7.5 mm setting (and flat out told me she'd be upset if I spent considerably more for half a mm), I'm not too anxious to spend a ton more for a stone closer to 8mm. With that said, if I can find something comparable for $10,000 or less, I'd definitely consider it. What say you, PS? Does this stone look as great on paper as I think it does? Anything out there closer to 8mm in my range?

ghostm42

Rough_Rock
I'm not one of the experts here, but a quick search yielded this result. I'm not saying it's any better than the diamond you found, but it's slightly bigger at 7.5 x 7.49 x 4.64 mm. You'll want to try to get ASET/IS images for these, of course.

1.60 Ct. J-VS1
GIA 3x
Cut: ex
-- HCA 1.3 (ex,ex,ex,vg)
-- within ideal cut proportions
-- ED cut score: 100
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R160-7FQF27
$8090 bank wire with discount code

Anthony_E

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I requested an image. I've also found a few closer to 8mm around $9,000.

https://www.solomonbrothers.com/diamonddetail/9F3H58FH/shop?affiliate=9318613A-AD0C-4530-A456-0409DFEFB8DE&utm_source=PriceScope

http://www.eternitybyyoni.com/diamond_detail.php?id=2361398&ref=pricescope

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8299048-1.80-carat-Round-diamond-J-color-SI1-Clarity.aspx?sku=8299048&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

Hopefully I don't regret posting these, but if someone else grabs one and enjoys it, so be it. It's getting tiresome typing the stats for each diamond on my phone, lol.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Anthony! That's awesome that you can narrow it down to 7.5-8 mm stones -- makes it much easier! And knowing the settings she loves will ensure that she'll be over the moon with the ring! :dance:

Quick question... I noticed you went from SI to VS1... does it need to be VS or merely eye clean?

Anthony_E

Rough_Rock
msop04|1461867494|4024703 said:
Hi Anthony! That's awesome that you can narrow it down to 7.5-8 mm stones -- makes it much easier! And knowing the settings she loves will ensure that she'll be over the moon with the ring! :dance:

Quick question... I noticed you went from SI to VS1... does it need to be VS or merely eye clean?

I don't care what the clarity grade is as long as it's eye clean. So with that said, I'm open to most SI1s and even some SI2s.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anthony_E|1461868050|4024707 said:
msop04|1461867494|4024703 said:

I don't care what the clarity grade is as long as it's eye clean. So with that said, I'm open to most SI1s and even some SI2s.

That's great news -- will give you much more options in your price range!

Anthony_E

Rough_Rock
msop04|1461871932|4024767 said:
I like this one... 7.64 x 7.59 mm, HCA 0.9, and in budget. :love:

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R170-LM6YTU

That does look nice, but I'm trying to stay as close to 7.5mm or to 8mm as possible so I can maximize the visual appeal of the ring. Perhaps I'm being too particular, but if nothing else, it forces me to narrow down my selections.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anthony_E|1461872856|4024775 said:

That does look nice, but I'm trying to stay as close to 7.5mm or to 8mm as possible so I can maximize the visual appeal of the ring. Perhaps I'm being too particular, but if nothing else, it forces me to narrow down my selections.

I understand where you're coming from, but is there no size range for the settings? (like 7.35-7.5 mm??) If not, I'm afraid this may make it really difficult to find a stone, unfortunately. ::)

Can you post pics of the 2 settings she likes?

Anthony_E

Rough_Rock
msop04|1461874809|4024788 said:
Anthony_E|1461872856|4024775 said:

I understand where you're coming from, but is there no size range for the settings? (like 7.35-7.5 mm??) If not, I'm afraid this may make it really difficult to find a stone, unfortunately. ::)

Can you post pics of the 2 settings she likes?

Oh, no. There are relatively large ranges for each setting. I just want to be towards the higher end of the range for each respective ring. Why? I'm not sure exactly. In my mind, it will maximize the visual appeal of the ring, but I'm probably wrong in my thinking, lol.

Here are the settings:

http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=5548

http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=5520

I should also mention that the woman I've been speaking with at LJN has been fantastic and offered to help me source a stone. I may take her up on the offer, but for the time being I'm going to see what I can find on my own. I'm still a few weeks away from moving forward (unless I come across something great), so I didn't want to waste her time until I'm ready to pull the trigger.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anthony_E|1461875398|4024800 said:
Oh, no. There are relatively large ranges for each setting. I just want to be towards the higher end of the range for each respective ring. Why? I'm not sure exactly. In my mind, it will maximize the visual appeal of the ring, but I'm probably wrong in my thinking, lol.

Here are the settings:

I should also mention that the woman I've been speaking with at LJN has been fantastic and offered to help me source a stone. I may take her up on the offer, but for the time being I'm going to see what I can find on my own. I'm still a few weeks away from moving forward (unless I come across something great), so I didn't want to waste her time until I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Those are both really pretty settings! I have to admit that I like the first one better (the four prong). That said, you could get the same "maximized" look on the 8 prong with a 7.8 mm stone. Ugh! I still prefer the four prong!

I think both of those setting would look better with an old cut than a MRB though... Let me look around... ;))

Anthony_E

Rough_Rock
msop04|1461876414|4024803 said:
Anthony_E|1461875398|4024800 said:

Here are the settings:

Those are both really pretty settings! I have to admit that I like the first one better (the four prong). That said, you could get the same "maximized" look on the 8 prong with a 7.8 mm stone. Ugh! I still prefer the four prong!

I think both of those setting would look better with an old cut than a MRB though... Let me look around... ;))

Thanks! A friend turned me on to LJN, and once I showed my girlfriend it was game over. After looking at hundreds of settings, these were the first ones she was absolutely head over heels in love with. I took that as a sign to move on and refocus my search on finding the stone to go with it.

The old cut option crossed my mind, and I have been looking, but I'm even more clueless there than I am with modern cuts. The only thing I have going for me with the latter is that it can be subjected to an objective measure (at least to some degree). Winona from LJN did say that she has access to old cuts but that availability is more limited. I'm excited to see what you find!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anthony_E|1461876867|4024808 said:
Thanks! A friend turned me on to LJN, and once I showed my girlfriend it was game over. After looking at hundreds of settings, these were the first ones she was absolutely head over heels in love with. I took that as a sign to move on and refocus my search on finding the stone to go with it.

The old cut option crossed my mind, and I have been looking, but I'm even more clueless there than I am with modern cuts. The only thing I have going for me with the latter is that it can be subjected to an objective measure (at least to some degree). Winona from LJN did say that she has access to old cuts but that availability is more limited. I'm excited to see what you find!

Honestly... Since she loves both settings, I would go with the 8 prong (since it has can accommodate the biggest diameter range). I'd call and ask for the diameter of the stone shown in the listing. It may very well be closer to the middle range than the 8.0 mm, since that is the largest it can hold. If she loved the photo, and it held a 7.7mm, for example... she wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a stone 0.10 mm up or down.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another thing to consider... Since both of those rings are replicas, could they not be made to fit whatever stone you find?? I would ask.

Anthony_E

Rough_Rock
msop04|1461877778|4024817 said:
Another thing to consider... Since both of those rings are replicas, could they not be made to fit whatever stone you find?? I would ask.

She told me it could, in theory, but she'd strongly advise against it. Among other things, it would sit too high and be uncomfortable to wear.

I tend to agree with you about going with the eight prong. I was fishing for information earlier today, though, and she said she would be thrilled if she could get the four prong with a larger stone (to her credit she told me she'd be more than happy with it "as is" and she's under the assumption it can only hold up to a 1ct). But at the same time I asked her if, all else being equal, she'd prefer the four prong with a large stone or the eight prong with a slightly larger stone, and she chose the eight prong. And then quickly got flustered and said she didn't know anymore. LOL

At the end of the day, I'm 100% certain she'll be thrilled with anything I get her. But that just motivates me to get her something that will completely blow her away.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anthony_E said:

She told me it could, in theory, but she'd strongly advise against it. Among other things, it would sit too high and be uncomfortable to wear.

I tend to agree with you about going with the eight prong. I was fishing for information earlier today, though, and she said she would be thrilled if she could get the four prong with a larger stone (to her credit she told me she'd be more than happy with it "as is" and she's under the assumption it can only hold up to a 1ct). But at the same time I asked her if, all else being equal, she'd prefer the four prong with a large stone or the eight prong with a slightly larger stone, and she chose the eight prong. And then quickly got flustered and said she didn't know anymore. LOL

At the end of the day, I'm 100% certain she'll be thrilled with anything I get her. But that just motivates me to get her something that will completely blow her away.

Well, there ya go! 8 prong with larger stone it is! [emoji322][emoji322][emoji322]

Anthony_E

Rough_Rock
msop04|1461893091|4024895 said:
Anthony_E said:

Well, there ya go! 8 prong with larger stone it is! [emoji322][emoji322][emoji322]

I think you may be right, but I'm still going to be open to the smaller stone if a great one comes my way for the same price. Honestly, I'm having a lot of fun with this whole process and I'm not in a huge rush for it to be over!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anthony_E said:
msop04|1461893091|4024895 said:
Anthony_E said:

I think you may be right, but I'm still going to be open to the smaller stone if a great one comes my way for the same price. Honestly, I'm having a lot of fun with this whole process and I'm not in a huge rush for it to be over!

...and that's the best attitude to have! [emoji1360][emoji4]

Anthony_E

Rough_Rock
istase2000|1461968505|4025283 said:
Couldn't find anything at 8mm under 10k but I found a 7.5mm one for a good price - you could request images/idealscope etc. It does have strong blue fluoro though which you need make sure has no negative impact.
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8299130-1.60-carat-Round-diamond-J-color-VS1-Clarity.aspx?sku=8299130&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

That could be promising. I just requested images.

Any advice for buying on Bluenile? I'm assuming you cannot request images. Are you pretty much relegated to having to buy the diamond hoping for the best and then take it to a trustworthy appraiser?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, you can ask for images and for a gemologist to examine the stone. They do not provide IS images though.

Anthony_E

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Gypsy.

I made the mistake of discovering AVRs. They just seem so perfect for the vintage inspired settings she loves. GoG doesn't have anything in stock that meets my needs, but I contacted them to see if there was anything in the pipeline/what the waiting time would be to have something cut. I know they come at a premium, but I'm hoping I can't get something around the 7.5mm point for around $10k. If nothing else, I'm happy to pay a small up charge to ensure I get a high quality stone that she will adore. I've also looked into what VC has to offer, and I really like his OEC inspired cuts as well.

It's amazing how far I've come in such a short period. A few weeks ago I didn't even know there were different color grades for diamonds!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Anthony_E

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1462154735|4026029 said:
Okay.

Um, have you considered a true vintage stone?

This is gorgeous:
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/1-ct-to-2-00/1-69ct-old-european-cut-gia-j-si2#.Vya1G3q_pKo
Also pretty:
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/1-ct-to-2-00/1-84-old-european-cut-gia-j-vs2#.Vya1bHq_pKo

Personally, I adore true vintage stones.

As for AVC's. I would post on the preloved board and see if anyone is interested in selling theirs to you. You never know.

Yes, I have.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results