shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a diamond ring.... for my wife!!!

barracudan

Rough_Rock
Hi, been lurking these forums for a couple of weeks and finally decided to post my cry for help :). Hopefully this is the appropriate section (there should be one for guys asking for help :))...

I have been married to my wife for just under 5 years. We never had a traditional proposal/engagement... kind of a cultural thing and besides money was kind of a premium since I was returning to school just after the wedding. We had a good wedding and I thought it wise to invest in a memorable honeymoon which we did. We have had a fun marriage so far, but my wife has hinted a few times that she would have liked a proposal with a diamond ring, but kinda resigned to the fact that the moment has passed and we couldn't afford it at the time.

Now our 5th wedding anniversary is coming up in a month, and she turns 30 this summer, and to top it all, we are having a baby sometime between those 2 dates :)). So I want to surprise her with a diamond ring to mark a very special summer for us (hope she isn't lurking around these forums anonymously like I did).... and I'll need the help of the lovely experts of this forum.

My wife and I have never talked about diamonds in the technical terms of carats, color, cut, clarity etc... so I don't know what is her level of knowledge on the subject or if she knows exactly what she wants like a lot of the members here. My thoughts are to keep it simple and getting a round cut diamond in a solitaire white gold setting. I think she will be over the moon that she got a diamond ring (of course after reading a few threads about how some of the ladies were disappointed in their rings and would have like to be involved in the ring picking process, I am beginning to double guess myself, but still confident that a simple ring with a brilliant shiny diamond will make my wife really happy).

I can afford $8K for an online retailer's loose diamond, taxes in (I live in the Toronto area in Canada where they can add up), and then get it set at a local jeweler. Sorry for the longish post, but I am hoping to get some help and advice on the diamond, retailer and ring settings (I open to ideas other than what I have posted above)

p.s. since my anniversary is in a month, do I have enough time to source the diamond from say whiteflash, brian gavin, james allen etc AND have it set in a ring locally? (yeah can't believe I waited so long :oops: )

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Hi! Welcome to PS!

First, I suggest having one of the moderators move your post to RockyTalky, because all the experts are over there and rarely dip into BWW! Second, congratulations on 5 years of marriage and your new addition!

Personally, I think if you're just going to go with a simple white gold solitaire, I would purchase the ring as a finished product from one of the PS vendors. It will save you time and headaches in the end, I think! Good luck on your search, and I hope you find the quick help you need over in RT!

barracudan

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your response... I was confused as to where to post. And yes, I am open to buying a finished ring especially given the time crunch. I just thought getting the ring setting done locally might get me better service in terms of resizing polishing etc.

p.s. thanks to the mod who moved the thread. I was wondering how to make contact without a pm tool available (or maybe I missed that somewhere)

CaratLover2

Shiny_Rock
Does your lady like vintage? Jewels by Erica Grace has a few vintage pieces listed on her site - see here http://www.jewelsbyericagrace.com/antique_vintage_and_reproduction_rings_page_2

What about Vintage Tiffany? This is an OEC, so maybe one of the OEC experts could pass comment on its performance based on the video, if you like it. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about OEC's. http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Rings-Antique-Vintage/Antique-Tiffany/22248634_Mx2ThV#!i=1803392908&k=tsCszFS

BUT, I also think this one is very pretty too ... and it's a nice size, but again I don't know anything about OEC's - http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Rings-Antique-Vintage/120ct-Antique-Old-European-Cut/22029015_p3ZZkv#!i=1757790685&k=pvtB98f

You may feel more comfortable buying something new, with certificates ... that's fine - I thought I'd just point these out to you.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
For a simple solitaire, you have time. Get it set at the same place to save time and money. As well, since you're not involving her - make sure to get it from a place with a great return policy and upgrade policy. All those you mentioned are great choices.

Does the $8k taxes in include the setting? If so, you're looking at 13% HST - which bumps you down to about $7000 for stone and setting. A simple solitaire is about $300-500 - leaving you with $6500-6700 for the stone. For a round brilliant, the best bang for the buck is in the I-J color, SI1-2 range.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Based on webdiva's calculations to keep you under budget, I'm thinking you could go with just under a carat and save some bucks:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2763667.htm
In this: http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/legato-sleek-line-solitaire-engagement-ring-728.htm

With Whiteflash, you have 30 days to return in case she wants a different setting (give it to her within the return period), and Expect Selection stones are a great buy since they generally just miss out being categorized as A Cut Above by small factors you can't typically see anyway. Also, ES stones do qualify for lifetime trade-in in case she ever wants to go bigger, and they can get it to you FAST!

Just one idea!

Edited to add: and, get the ring insured with some place like Jeweler's Mutual, and don't worry about having it polished or prongs checked locally. Bricks & mortar jewelry stores tend to scare consumers into thinking that they'll have to send their diamonds away if they buy online, but good B&M shops will clean and check prongs on ANY ring. Also, I have 2 rings from Whiteflash and they polished up my e-ring when I had it re-sized, all for free.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
This is so sweet of you. I also agree to go with Webdiva's suggestion. Or Dreamer has an antique diamond for sale and she is in Canada too.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
If you have month then you have time. =) James Allen pulled my ring together in under two weeks. My advice though, if you aren't sure what exactly she might like, then I would go with a RB and a simple solitaire. Antique stones are gorgeous IMO, but people tend to love or hate them, so they might not be for her. Most online vendor have a very good return period, from 14-60 days, so I secong the idea of presenting it to her within the return period just in case she had her heart set on something a bit different.

Is it likely that she and the baby may share a birth month? I think it would be lovely to make a three stone with their birthstones as the sidestones, or even add a surprise stone to a simple solitaire.

barracudan

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your responses,

CharmyPoo - Special thanks to you, coz I came over here to PriceScope after following a number of your posts in RFD, lol. I even have bookmarked one of your posts with some specs on total depths, crown, pavilion angles, table sizes etc (none of which I still fully understand :))

CaratLover2 - thanks for the suggestion... had to google OEC (and it brought me right back to PS)... From all the diamond talk I have had with my wife (which is very little) over the last 5 years, I don't think she is anywhere close to being knowledgeable about diamonds as you folks here.... in fact I might know way more just coz I have been on this forum for a few days now, lol. Since I am a noob at this, I'll stick to classic and simple, coz I think just the surprise of getting a ring will make her happy.... otherwise we can return/upgrade based on everyone's advice here.

Webdiva - I do have the full $7K (+13% taxes) for the diamond and can spend additional dollars on a simple 18k white gold solitaire setting. I'll check out yours and rubybeth's WF suggestions. Also tempted by the diamondbistro posting that you linked.... how much larger does a 1.07 carat stone look compared to the 1.01 and .99 that you linked from WF?... I guess if I don't find any reference pictures on the web, I'll pop into a B&M store to see the difference....

Christina - thanks for the suggestion... it would have been real neat to put in the birthstones too but my wife's and the baby's birthdays are probably going to be one month apart (definitely in different months). What is a surprise stone in a solitaire setting? Got to look into that.
edit: just looked up surprise stone... I don't how exactly it works, but it would have been neat to incorporate the baby's birthstone as a surprise stone in the ring. The baby is due mid July so the stone would ruby, unless the baby decides to surprise us and come early in June itself. At any rate, getting all this together would take more time and I'll probably end up going over budget. Right? :))

Efriede

Shiny_Rock
webdiva|1337901733|3203022 said:
A faster option is to meet this person at a appraiser and purchase this Whiteflash ring - $5500 all in - they're in Toronto too!:
http://diamondbistro.com/category/215/Loose-natural-Diamonds/listings/29108/GIA-107-G-SI1-Round-Brilliant,-from-Whiteflash.html

I second Webdiva on that! That is a great deal for a preloved WF stone, which you could even see in person. Great timing. I would buy this stone in a heart beat, but just purchased the new stone couple of weeks ago.. You could present it to your wife as it is and let her pick a setting herself with the rest of your budget. Just show her the way to Pricescope, I am sure she will have fun here pondering the options of setting: Threestone, solitaire, halo..so many options... :naughty:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Webdiva - I do have the full $7K (+13% taxes) for the diamond and can spend additional dollars on a simple 18k white gold solitaire setting. I'll check out yours and rubybeth's WF suggestions. Also tempted by the diamondbistro posting that you linked.... how much larger does a 1.07 carat stone look compared to the 1.01 and .99 that you linked from WF?... I guess if I don't find any reference pictures on the web, I'll pop into a B&M store to see the difference....

It's possible that it won't have any visible difference at all, it would depend on the diamonds dimensions. Diamonds are cut to many different proportions, each one causing the diamond to have a different 'face up' size. A well cut 1ct will measure approx 6.5mm.

I wanted to mention though, that although the idealscope image of the diamond bistro stone looks good, the diamond received a very good cut grade from GIA instead of an excellent grade. This in itself may not be a problem but it will require further investigation. GIA rounds the measurements on it's reports so it's impossible to know the true proportions of the stone without a sarin or helium report, but it looks to have a very tiny table and shallow pavillion. A shallow pavilion can cause obstruction issues and make the diamond look dark when viewed close up because the wearers head and body will cast a shadow on it. If you decide to investigate this particular stone, I would want to meet at a reputable independent appraisers to have the stone evaluated. The seller isn't a PSer, so I would check into her selling history as well. The diamond is listed without a return period, so you will have to be very proactive and ask all questions before turning over any cash. But honestly, I think this is a riskier prospect than purchasing online and buying GIA Ex or AGS 0, especially since you have no diamond buying experience. However, if your interested and you meet with an appraiser that YOU choose, and he/she gives their thumbs up to the stone, then I think it could be a good option. I just wouldn't try to make this deal on your own without further support. =)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were you, I'd get the diamond linked from diamondbistro. You can arrange to meet the seller at an appraiser and confirm that it is what it is stated to be before handing over the money. That diamond is gorgeous, and with the money you would save, you could get a blingier setting - you could present it to your wife in a ring-holder or loose, and then you'd have several thousand dollars to spend on a setting, and you could pick it out together. She may want just a basic setting, of course, but she may want something different!

(And based on the Idealscope for that diamond, does anyone else think it could have been dinged in the cut grade because it has some painting/digging? Regardless, I think it looks like a diamond that would satisfy most people. I'm not sure, given what he's saying, that there's a need for a superideal, and this is pretty darn close to ideal, based on that idealscope.)

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, the numbers on the 1.07ct are fine. Based on the images it takes a hit on the cut grade due to painting, as GIA notes on the report "Cut grade affected by brillianteering".

barracudan

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I am kinda apprehensive to get the diamonbistro stone due to lack of experience, but the price point is tempting. Are there any standard questions that I need to ask the seller and/or the appraiser if I go this route. Also how do I go about finding a decent appraiser and how much do they usually charge? (Google?)

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
barracudan|1337987275|3203941 said:
Yeah, I am kinda apprehensive to get the diamonbistro stone due to lack of experience, but the price point is tempting. Are there any standard questions that I need to ask the seller and/or the appraiser if I go this route. Also how do I go about finding a decent appraiser and how much do they usually charge? (Google?)

You would just want to confirm that the diamond matches the report, which you would do no matter where you purchased your diamond, and you'd also want an appraisal for insurance reasons. GIA is tougher on painting and digging than AGS is and they will knock it's cut grade if it's over a certain percentage, 6% I think, but I'm not sure. I would also want to be sure that there were no obstruction issues, the numbers will look good in the HCA, but again it's not a substitute for your own eyes. I wouldn't have any problem purchasing this stone, so long as you had an appraisers assistance. And I'm not simply knocking it because it only received a very good cut grade, in fact I just purchased one myself, but I went into with both eyes open and with assistance. I'm always a bit more cautious buying on the second hand market, and yes, the ideal scope looks great, but I could post any image and say it belongs to my diamond. I'm not implying this is the case here at all, but since it's a no returns deal, I would want all the assurances I could get. GIven all that, it appears to have promise, and it's local, so it wouldn't hurt to take a look.

EDIT I just looked at the report again and initially I thought that the report stated a pav angle of 40.2 but now when I look, it looks like it might read 40.8. I can't enlarge it, but if it's 40.8 then there shouldn't be any obstruction issues, but I'd still work with an appraiser just to protect yourself. =)

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
If you want to keep the option of returning the ring and or upgrading in case your wife doesn't like it - here are others:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8341/ - 1.04 J canadian diamond - $6k
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9238/ - 1.15 I - $7200

I love the Brian Gavin Blue line because it's a great value - the blue fluoresence makes some diamonds appear "whiter" in some lighting conditions : http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/brian-gavin-blue-diamonds-with-fluorescence/
It also glows in black light! :)
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.010-J-VS2-Round-Diamond-AGS-BL-104055121003 - 1.01 J - $6k
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/Diamonds/diamond-details/1.131-J-VS1-round-Diamond-AGS-104051364023 - 1.13 J $6800
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.007-i-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104057888010 - 1.007 I $6600

And another appraiser recommendation from Dreamer from a couple years ago:
Harold Weinstein: http://www.hwgem.com/

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Christina...|1337989808|3203956 said:
Webdiva, I just wanted to tell you that you are an amazing little search engine! ;)) =)

Haha, thanks! I just typed toronto appraisers into the search. ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results