shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a diamond...please?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ejh

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone, I just started my search this past week, and I was lucky enough to stumble upon this forum. So I have been lurking about, reading what to look for, and I have really learned a lot. Anyways, I was wondering if I could get some advice. Here is my situation…

My girlfriend loves art deco/antique/unique jewelry. So based on this, I think I will present a solitaire, and then we can pick out a setting together (I do have one setting in mind - Tacori 2502RD). So, I have found a few diamonds that I like, but up to now I am not sure I have a perfect fit. Here they are:

0.86 ct, I, VS1, AGS 0 ideal cut, $3200
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131&item=896830

0.798 ct, G, SI1, AGS 0 ideal cut, $2789
http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-136241.htm

I love the 0.86, but am a little concerned about putting it in a white gold setting with tiny G VS2 stones surrounding it (see Tacori 2502RD setting), because I don’t want it to seem too yellow. Overall budget is about $5000, but I want to leave some $ for a setting she really likes. Should I put more in the stone, or will these work…?

Sorry for the long post – does anyone have any ideas? Any other settings out there that you think would work? Thank you so much in advance!!!
26.gif

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Hey there,

I would also try faycullen.com, antiqueengagementrings.com, and circa1930s.com. They all have antique and antique reproduction settings. Also, did she want an antique cut diamond as well, such as a rose cut or an old mine cut diamond? There are threads on this forum both on antique and art deco settings as well as antique diamond cuts if you just put them in the search engine. Good luck on your search!

*M*

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to Pricescope!

With your budget (which is healthy!) I would leave about $1000 for the setting and focus on getting the biggest bang for the buck in a diamond. Which means, if you go by my recommendation, you can spend around 4K for the diamond.

There''s something about getting a one carat that makes a gal excited. As long as it''s an ideal cut round, then you can go lower in color and still get a very nice, white diamond with lots of fire and personality!

Here''s one through the Expert Selection at Whiteflash:
1.07 J SI1

E B

Ideal_Rock
ejh,

I agree with Jelly, but I'd leave a little more for the setting if she's really into antique styles, because they tend to be more ornate (read: expensive).

The 1.07 J, SI2 looks great, but due to the price, I'm guessing it's not eye-clean. I say this because I JUST went through the process of looking at SI1s and SI2s, and I almost never was lucky enough to find an eye-clean SI2 (especially at a great price...they're a great price for a reason!). It's always worth it to ask, though.

I'd look for something in the .90ct range, and leave about $1200-$1500 for the setting. I'm looking through the PS search engine (.90-1.00), and the pickins are slim. It'd be a good idea to call one of the great vendors and see if they've just received any new stones. That's how I found mine- it hadn't even been entered into the database yet!

ETA: Here's a exceldiamonds .90ct H, SI1 H&A you might want to look into:

.90, H, SI1 H&A $3564

ejh

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help so far everyone!

I checked out antiqueengagementrings.com and found some settings that I really like...

http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=358

Has anyone ever bought anything from this site?

As for the diamond, I am kind of confused... I really like the 0.86 ct I VS1 shown above (I have it reserved right now), but I am not quite sold on it. Judging by the specs on the site I gave, can anyone comment on the performance? Since I am a first time internet buyer, it is hard for me to pull the trigger without seeing it firsthand.
1.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ask for an Ideal Scope picture.

Olive Oil

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/26/2006 8:28:52 PM
Author: ejh
Thanks for your help so far everyone!

I checked out antiqueengagementrings.com and found some settings that I really like...

http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=358

It looks like that setting only accomodates larger stones. I bet you can find something similar though! It's a very pretty design. I like it a little better than the Tacori you mentioned. The Tacori setting is just a little too high for my taste. It seems like it would catch on things.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results