shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a Cushion Cut Diamond

SCDP

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

For the past month or so I have been researching cushion cut diamonds...planning to propose in a few months. I must say, you all have a ton of great knowledge, so maybe you can help point me in the right direction.

Looking to stay around $5,500
Cut: Cushion that has the modern brilliant cut - don't like crushed ice look
Clarity: eye clean
Color: G or better
Carat Wt: >= 1 ct
Shape: she likes more rectangular than square

Looking for the best stone for the money, the one that will give the most sparkle and "wow" - so a big face is important too. I feel like there are so many things to consider with cushions that I am getting a little lost. Appreciate thoughts, advice and links to stones.

I have looked mainly at James Allen and in 2 brick and mortar stores, feeling overwhelmed with the options!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SCDP

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I would certainly consider an H, and that stone does look nice.

Any advice for determining the "sparkle" of a cushion found online, I guess I'm trying to get at the amount of light returned vs. lost, which can be really bad for cushions.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
sterlingcooperdraperprice said:
Thanks! I would certainly consider an H, and that stone does look nice.

Any advice for determining the "sparkle" of a cushion found online, I guess I'm trying to get at the amount of light returned vs. lost, which can be really bad for cushions.

you can request an ASET image.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd call Engagement rings direct they have their own line of cushions they are cutting and they are rectangular and BEAUTIFUL too. See if they have anything that would work for your budget and go from there.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1318285698|3037287 said:
I'd call Engagement rings direct they have their own line of cushions they are cutting and they are rectangular and BEAUTIFUL too. See if they have anything that would work for your budget and go from there.

+1 for ERD. I think I would also contact GOG. To me ERD and GOG have the best cushions at the best prices.

SCDP

Rough_Rock
The cushions online at GOG and ERD, while beautiful, seem quite expensive compared to the James Allen cushions. Do they have more inventory that is not listed that would be comprable? New at this, so thanks for all the help!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
they will be able to access more inventory if you call them and tell them what you are looking for.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Make sure you are comparing apples to apples across the vendors. Cushions are not priced the same.

From least to most expensive (given color,clarity,etc are equal)
1. Modified Cushion Brilliant
2. Cushion Brilliant (4 Main)
3. Cushion Brilliant (8 Thin Main)
4. Chunky/Antique Cushion Brilliant (8 Fat Mains)
5. Branded Cushions (ex. August Vintage, Square H&A)

SCDP

Rough_Rock
I requested the ASET images for two of the stones mentioned above (thank you both!) and James Allen also sent a little note along as well:

"Thank you for your patience while waiting for the ASET images of diamonds 1279851 and 1391482. I've attached the requested images to this email for your review. We've taken the liberty of having one of our graduate gemologists inspect and compare your diamonds and I'm happy to say that diamond 1279851 is an excellent option! As you would expect, this diamond faces white and perfectly eye clean. As you will see in the attached ASET image, there is a small amount of light leakage at the edge of the diamond's table. The gemologist has confirmed that this is not offensive and that most people shouldn't even notice it.

Diamond 1391482 is rounder in shape and faces slightly larger but it has more warmth to its color and the gemologist found it to be dark under the center.

Diamond 1279851 is the brighter diamond and will give you nice fire and brilliance. I believe you'll be pleased with its sparkle and overall beauty when you see it for yourself."

Here are the images:

The
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1279851.asp?gid=GAN&pid=k244266&pname=VigLink
1279851aset.jpg

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1391482.asp?gid=GAN&pid=k244266&pname=VigLink
1391482aset.jpg

What do you all think?

SCDP

Rough_Rock
Anyone have strong feelings about a J colored antique cushion cut stone? I'm told it faces up very white.

I ask because I found a stone in my budget that is larger than I had hoped to get, but it is graded by EGL as a J so I am hesitating.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pass on both those ASETS.

sibbslsu

Rough_Rock
After doing the same thing that you are doing about 3 months ago, I can tell you that there is no substitute for seeing these stones in person.

I shopped locally looking at probably 8-10 stones meeting my general criteria, and narrowed it down to my favorite stone.

At the same time I was also shopping online, looking at the facet pattern on the certs (looks like you have already figured out the ones to consider), and the picture / ASET. Finally, I ended up ordering two stones from James Allen so that I could compare them side by side with the stone found locally. While all of them were really nice stones, the one that I shopped for locally edged out the others.

As a credit to James Allen, their return policy was excellent, and very painless. So, if you've narrowed it down to a couple stones, I'd consider ordering them both and then taking advantage of their great return policy.

sibbslsu

Rough_Rock
sterlingcooperdraperprice|1319040353|3043519 said:
Anyone have strong feelings about a J colored antique cushion cut stone? I'm told it faces up very white.

I ask because I found a stone in my budget that is larger than I had hoped to get, but it is graded by EGL as a J so I am hesitating.

Definitely avoid the EGL. I would go no lower than a GIA certified J. Based upon most of the research that I did a J stone certified by EGL would probably be called an K or L by GIA.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results