shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a chunky setting for my sapphire!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Well sh*t, I'm torn now!
I love both iterations. Which orientation is singing to you?
I think, I think, I may actually favor N/S?!
I can't wait for it to be done, so I can see what my future ring will look like...:Up_to_something:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I seem to like the flow of the cutout gallery area merging in to the lines of the shank from the narrower tab prong on the n/s version better than how it looks on the e/w version, coming from that wider tab prong. (Or is it that the cutouts themselves may need to be bigger, in the bigger area that was created by rotating the sapphire?)
But I seem to like the top down look of the e/w setting better.
Do you think the partial bezel is enough different from the full bezel to let more light in the way you wish?

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
Wow! Not an easy choice! I like things about both and either will be beautiful.
The NS wins out by a narrow margin for me. Can’t wait to see the finished ring!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thank you @ItsMainelyYou, @Rfisher and @Bluemuse for your feedback!

I love both - I also think NS is winning by a small margin for me.

@Rfisher now that I am seeing it - I wonder if it’s letting in enough light...I think it will be better than the current setting (which lets in none) and I love the cutout detail...but I wonder if the original design would let in a bit more? I just don’t want pave on the sides because I thought it might scrape against bands...I’m not sure how else to let more light in - I only find bezels / semi bezels all that comfortable to wear

64EFFB94-9061-470B-A08B-4E81443092C5.png

Edit -maybe I could ask him to cut a little more out?

EBEC2EA6-1CDD-4235-B81E-4E103AC1CC49.jpeg

Last edited:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree cut down the prongs on the east west and it will look markedly better. I’d say the same for the north south.

I prefer east west. Stone looks bigger setting looks more fluid and the floral design is not changed by the extra mm if size.

But this ain’t my ring! ;-)

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Ohh, it looks gorgeous. My initial reaction is that EW looks chunkier and NS looks more refined. Obviously I'm biased...but I would defo explore removing more of the bezel but with the disclaimer that you need to be more careful when placing the ring on a hard surface.

I hope these are helpful. The zircon is 10x8ish (a bit wonky). The band is 2mm off the finger and 4mm wide.

IMG_20210112_091103991.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210112_090331759.jpg
    IMG_20210112_090331759.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210112_090705642.jpg
    IMG_20210112_090705642.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 13

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t have anything to add design wise, but this ring is going to be stunning! That blue! Holy cow!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Ohh, it looks gorgeous. My initial reaction is that EW looks chunkier and NS looks more refined. Obviously I'm biased...but I would defo explore removing more of the bezel but with the disclaimer that you need to be more careful when placing the ring on a hard surface.

I hope these are helpful. The zircon is 10x8ish (a bit wonky). The band is 2mm off the finger and 4mm wide.

IMG_20210112_091103991.jpg

Beautiful ring - I just adore it!!! I have a semi bezel 3 stone ring so was looking at slightly different versions of “semi bezels” so they didn’t seem too similar - thanks for sharing yours

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I think I am sticking to the N/S version - but David made the cutouts bigger on the E/W version and I think that will make a big difference letting more light in

DK 64608-QUAD-5.jpg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Ok so - I knew that if I didn't get to see two orientations in person, that it would always gnaw at me - woulda coulda shoulda...

So, DK, in his infinite grace - made a wax of each.

Now that I have seen them in person, I know that my heart is with the N/S orientation and I think it flatters my hand more as I suspected it would.

For those who are curious....here they are (forgive my dry as a bone, ruddy hands....cold weather does a number on my skin)

IMG-5105.jpg

IMG-5111.jpg

IMG-5114.jpg

IMG-5115.jpg

IMG-5116.jpg

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
What a great way to decide. The setting is going to be beautiful!

Bakersmom

Rough_Rock
@Cerulean When does your ring arrive? Can't wait to see!
If you don't mind, can you tell me where you found the sapphire?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Well there have been quite a few starts and stops with this project - job woes for both my husband and I came up but I am pleased to say we have secured new, wonderful jobs and I am FINALLY shipping my sapphire to David tomorrow!!!! :kiss2:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Yaaaaaaaay, it's happening!!! And congratulations on the new chapter of your careers. :appl:
I can't wait for the pictures of that sapphire in her fabulous dress.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Ugh I just had a somewhat traumatizing experience at FedEx!

I went to ship it followed David’s explicit instructions to double box my ring and label each box for extra security.

The woman who worked there was really hostile, was pressing me for details on the contents and told me two boxes weren’t necessary and that they didn’t offer that service at that location. They ran out of the right size boxes to double box and she proceeded to basically bully me into shipping it anyways in a single box.

I hope it goes off without a hitch. Shipping is always so nerve wracking and I hate that she did that! I don’t know what her problem was. I hope I didn’t violate any insurance protocol - I should have stood my ground and left with my sapphire :(sad

voce

Ideal_Rock
Wow @Cerulean that's rude of her. I've never had such crap from my local FedEx service. Maybe you should just have it all packed up before you are at the FedEx office, by taking empty boxes for free and packing at home. Honestly, I would have just taken it to a different FedEx location if I were you, maybe leave a negative review on Google. It's really not insured if it's shipped inside a single box. When I shipped gems to Inken before, she explained that her jeweler's insurance requires it to be double boxed to cover any loss or damage. Please please please don't let any mail courier employee bully you in the future!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Wow @Cerulean that's rude of her. I've never had such crap from my local FedEx service. Maybe you should just have it all packed up before you are at the FedEx office, by taking empty boxes for free and packing at home. Honestly, I would have just taken it to a different FedEx location if I were you, maybe leave a negative review on Google. It's really not insured if it's shipped inside a single box. When I shipped gems to Inken before, she explained that her jeweler's insurance requires it to be double boxed to cover any loss or damage. Please please please don't let any mail courier employee bully you in the future!

This. I call before to verify they have the two sizes. I have run into this before. Calling in advance solves it for me.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Ugh I just had a somewhat traumatizing experience at FedEx!

I went to ship it followed David’s explicit instructions to double box my ring and label each box for extra security.

The woman who worked there was really hostile, was pressing me for details on the contents and told me two boxes weren’t necessary and that they didn’t offer that service at that location. They ran out of the right size boxes to double box and she proceeded to basically bully me into shipping it anyways in a single box.

I hope it goes off without a hitch. Shipping is always so nerve wracking and I hate that she did that! I don’t know what her problem was. I hope I didn’t violate any insurance protocol - I should have stood my ground and left with my sapphire :(sad
I'm sorry you had a terrible experience like that. She is most definitely in the wrong, and worse, she knew it at the time.
I second that you need to call and leave a complaint at Fedex, this is considered a standard of insurance practice.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I’m going to call FedEx now. I’m sick about this and her horrible behavior. I should have just left! Thank you all…praying it goes smoothly. Do I inform David?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
OMG Y’ALL!

Someone is looking out for this foolish girl! I called the FedEx location to file a complaint…the manager was super nice and for some reason the box hadn’t shipped yet (it was supposed to at 1:30pm)

She stayed on the phone with me, I resent her labels for both boxes and she walked me through how she was reprinting, relabeling and sealing in two boxes. She also promised to train her staff and was genuinely not pleased about what happened as she said her staff would’ve been held accountable for not shipping it correctly.

Thank GOODNESS! Thank you all so much for encouraging me to contact FedEx…what a nightmare!

It's very helpful to have some collective voices of reason when you are in panic mode @voce @ItsMainelyYou @Efleon @PinkAndBlueBling @elizat so truly thank you...

fantapanda

Shiny_Rock
Late to this thread but gorgeous sapphire! For the FedEx thing, I think their boxes are free? I like to get a few of the smallest USPS boxes from the post office so I can take my sweet time wrapping it up at home the first box then just stuff the pre-packed box into the larger FedEx/UPS one. Glad the manager walked you though handled it for you!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Late to this thread but gorgeous sapphire! For the FedEx thing, I think their boxes are free? I like to get a few of the smallest USPS boxes from the post office so I can take my sweet time wrapping it up at home the first box then just stuff the pre-packed box into the larger FedEx/UPS one. Glad the manager walked you though handled it for you!

I might just keep a few at home or call ahead as suggested!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results