shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a chunky setting for my sapphire!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Hello friends.

I have been dreaming up all sorts of fun settings for my lovely vivid blue sapphire. I do not like typical prong styles, I love....

• a bit of heft
  • nothing too glitzy or too glam. I am a simple girl at heart.
  • Engraving, fine details
  • Semi bezel, tab / ribbon prongs...

First I thought....a beautiful chunky bezel, or gypsy ring. But they don't let in enough light and what makes this sapphire so special is the glow.

A pretty, atinque-y halo? Nope...blocks light, too blingy.

I have been scouring the internet, and am not sure what else to think about. I like antique, modern, and everything in between. Here are two styles that caught my eye, what would you pick? Is there another style that springs to mind?

voce

Ideal_Rock
The second one looks better to me. The band just looks too domed/thick on the first option. Since your sapphire looks to have a window, I'd try to set it as low as possible to minimize the window, but wow, that color!

ean

Brilliant_Rock
I like the 2nd one better. Ivyandrosevintage sells similar settings to that one!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for the second setting!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given the two choices, I too vote for the second setting.

However, I would be inclined to set the bar prongs at 45 deg rather than NESW at 90 deg, if yon know what I mean.

DK :))

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if a slimmer version of the first is a better contender - like this Sholdt! I’d do a totally different engraving..

I definitely now see that the first is too domed

If any of you have other styles you’d recommend instead I’m totally open to ideas!

D70D54C3-A873-48D8-8B38-B5DD90808E55.jpeg 70694887-91C0-4D74-AAD4-E0957F0A5D24.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if a slimmer version of the first is a better contender - like this Sholdt! I’d do a totally different engraving..

If any of you have other styles you’d recommend instead I’m totally open to ideas!

D70D54C3-A873-48D8-8B38-B5DD90808E55.jpeg 70694887-91C0-4D74-AAD4-E0957F0A5D24.jpeg

This one of the three gets my vote.
And I’d go yellow gold because just because :)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
This one of the three gets my vote.
And I’d go yellow gold because just because :)

I’m totally torn about metal! I was thinking platinum as I do wear white metals more, but was thinking maybe even a YG bezel but that might be too much.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

oh thats pretty

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
That stone is magic @Cerulean ! It does have an amazing glow and beautiful saturation.
I love the second setting. I’ve always loved that setting style, so classic.
I could see it in white metal or yellow gold, even high carat yg. If you primarily wear white, that seems the way to go.
Can’t wait to see how you set it!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I do like mixed metals - I used to be a YG girl too, but since my wedding set is platinum I’ve veered towards white metals.

the setting I honestly truly fell in love with was this one...I ADORE it. but I was worried a bezel wouldn’t show off the color in all its glory...so started looking for settings that were semi bezel or tab Prongs...I was fiddling with my stone, wrapping it in foil. I don’t want to pick an unflattering setting..but can’t get my mind off this

4FC2B946-A906-4E93-9144-AE06C569FB12.jpeg

I also like this stack a lot...maybe with tab prongs? Platinum prongs and the rest YG? Ugh I’m all over the place!

CCB75E4F-F070-42B1-9657-00511A5797FA.jpeg
517BA48E-56A0-4DEF-9078-4FC5FDDC4088.jpeg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
That stone is magic @Cerulean ! It does have an amazing glow and beautiful saturation.
I love the second setting. I’ve always loved that setting style, so classic.
I could see it in white metal or yellow gold, even high carat yg. If you primarily wear white, that seems the way to go.
Can’t wait to see how you set it!

Thank you so much! High praise coming from someone with such a yummy sapphire family! It might take me a while to decide...I’ve been hemming and hawing like nobody’s business! :lol:

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
I do like mixed metals - I used to be a YG girl too, but since my wedding set is platinum I’ve veered towards white metals.

the setting I honestly truly fell in love with was this one...I ADORE it. but I was worried a bezel wouldn’t show off the color in all its glory...so started looking for settings that were semi bezel or tab Prongs...I was fiddling with my stone, wrapping it in foil. I don’t want to pick an unflattering setting..but can’t get my mind off this

I also like this stack a lot...maybe with tab prongs? Platinum prongs and the rest YG? Ugh I’m all over the place!

Both of these are beautiful. I can see your dilemma. So many interesting choices. Too many lol.
That first one is so interesting and sleek.
It has a bit of a masculine look, might just be the proportions of the setting.
I love the satin finish on both of these.
I do love the Sholdt semi bezel you shared.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Since I’ve been helplessly fickle about settings in the past and present, I’ve decided to “try out” the two tone Gypsy setting in silver and 14k gold. I can do it inexpensively. If I love it and the sapphire still sings, I will have it made in platinum & 18k!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Well - lesson learned - some stones are best left un-bezeled! I experimented with a temp silver / 14k gold setting, and it honestly is so unflattering to the stone I don't even want to wear it....it swallows it, and looks dark / royal blue in most settings, but not very lively. Thank goodness it was a relatively inexpensive experiment!

I definitely will go in a different direction for the final setting, something that lets in a lot more light and airier! I am loving this, and would do tab prongs...

Not sure how well the pave would stand up to daily wear and tear

https://www.victorbarbone.com/products/4-prong-split-shank

IMG-4961.jpg

IMG-4959.jpg

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock

These settings - wow!.

I'm sorry you didn't like how your 'experiment' turned out. Can I ask where the last setting in the image above is from (the solitaire with the brushed gold). I know you're going in a different direction but your sapphire in that brushed gold would be mind blowing.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
These settings - wow!.

I'm sorry you didn't like how your 'experiment' turned out. Can I ask where the last setting in the image above is from (the solitaire with the brushed gold). I know you're going in a different direction but your sapphire in that brushed gold would be mind blowing.

I still haven’t totally ruled it out, honestly! I am a bit all over the place with this stone! I think I’d like this setting a lot too - maybe with a platinum head, but the rest brushed gold? Gah! So many options..

it’s by J Albrecht designs - here is their Instagram- I saw their shop in Colorado and just loved their designs!

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous, I just find there's something to tactile about brushed yellow gold. And oh heaven's, I've now found even more 'stuff' that I just have to have!!?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I believe these ring belongs a PSr, I regretfully cannot remember who(kept it for inspiration).
I think the example on the left would be beautiful and the gallery could have any kind of pierce work you wanted to let light into the stone. I love the concave band and delicate milgrain!
1609551350786.png

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I believe these ring belongs a PSr, I regretfully cannot remember who(kept it for inspiration).
I think the example on the left would be beautiful and the gallery could have any kind of pierce work you wanted to let light into the stone. I love the concave band and delicate milgrain!
1609551350786.png

Oh this is gorgeooooous! I am suspicious that some light really does needs to penetrate via the girdle...but what do I know? Mere speculation. It is shocking how much this setting changed the color and personality of this stone! All of the vivid glow was basically sucked out of it unless direct sunlight is hitting it from an angle...

Man, why is this so hard to pick something? Maybe the glut of yummy options on PS is complicating things....

I have also made a few expensive mistakes with settings, so hoping to avoid, hence the agony over deciding!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Ugh, I know. I love it.
About the indecision and confounding nature of actually making/choosing settings that works/executed as intended...I am paralyzed by it. I have extremely limited funds with which to work and no room for error. And that's why I have one ring set that was a modification of an existing design. I have stones that deserve to be set. And I don't know if I can do it.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Ugh, I know. I love it.
About the indecision and confounding nature of actually making/choosing settings that works/executed as intended...I am paralyzed by it. I have extremely limited funds with which to work and no room for error. And that's why I have one ring set that was a modification of an existing design. I have stones that deserve to be set. And I don't know if I can do it.

I can truly empathize! I am especially on a tight budget for this year...so any bling is a real treat!

I keep cooking up all of these custom designs and think it’ll be better if I can select something I can *see* first...working with David klass and having him send me a wax cast first was seriously such an amazing thing! I caught things I wouldn’t have otherwise!

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
Well - lesson learned - some stones are best left un-bezeled! I experimented with a temp silver / 14k gold setting, and it honestly is so unflattering to the stone I don't even want to wear it....it swallows it, and looks dark / royal blue in most settings, but not very lively. Thank goodness it was a relatively inexpensive experiment!

I definitely will go in a different direction for the final setting, something that lets in a lot more light and airier! I am loving this, and would do tab prongs...

IMG-4961.jpg

IMG-4959.jpg

I'm sorry the experiment didn't turn out well, it has really beautiful dimensions but I can see what you mean about the stone looking dark. I think the pave you show on the Barbone setting would be fine for daily wear if made by a good bench, because so many people have pave, even a lot more pave, on engagement rings they wear every day. The Barbone example also looks bead-set which is sturdy when done well.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMG-4961.jpg

IMG-4959.jpg

I like it myself, however, each to their own.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I like it myself, however, each to their own.

Oh I like the setting! The sapphire really just lost its “oomph” - the color is much darker - even my husband who never notices such things asked why it was so dark

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry the experiment didn't turn out well, it has really beautiful dimensions but I can see what you mean about the stone looking dark. I think the pave you show on the Barbone setting would be fine for daily wear if made by a good bench, because so many people have pave, even a lot more pave, on engagement rings they wear every day. The Barbone example also looks bead-set which is sturdy when done well.

Thanks for the input - I’ve never had anything with pave so wasnt sure! I’d likely go to DK - I also am still really drawn to the Sholdt..oh decisions decisions!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Well - I kept coming back to this Edwardian Tiffany's ring and couldn't get it out of my mind. When I showed it to my husband, he just said "that is exactly the kind of ring that I imagined you'd pick" and that sealed the deal for me!

So - stay tuned! Saving for a bit longer and then I will be working with David Klass!

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 10.11.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 10.11.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 10.11.33 PM.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well - I kept coming back to this Edwardian Tiffany's ring and couldn't get it out of my mind. When I showed it to my husband, he just said "that is exactly the kind of ring that I imagined you'd pick" and that sealed the deal for me!

So - stay tuned! Saving for a bit longer and then I will be working with David Klass!

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 10.11.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 10.11.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 10.11.33 PM.png
Are you setting the sapphire east west or north south?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results