shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a 3ct around 30k!

starbuk

Rough_Rock
Hi - my girlfriend and I went e-ring shopping this weekend and I have a good idea of what she'd like in a diamond. She was not sensitive to cut and could not really tell the difference with a high quality ASET vs a lower quality one, all within Excellent GIA ratings. She saw color in a K stone which was about 2.5ct so I'd like to stick with I to be safe.. a J would save me $ but I'm concerned about it being too borderline especially at this size. Needs to be eye clean so VS2 or SI1.

It will be set in platinum in size 6:
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/six-prong-pave-solitaire-with-scalloped-basket

Here are some stones that I like:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/2.85-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-sku-702893

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...arat-i-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-763384

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-720823

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-880793

And this one is my favorite but it is a J :((( I'm just not sure about it:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3206024.htm

Please let me know what you all think. The color is what I am most hung up on.. and the fact that my budget keeps creeping higher.

Irishsparkles

Rough_Rock
Hi Starbuk. I recently upgraded to a 3.09 carat J VS 2 ACA from Whiteflash. I love it. Here are some pictures of it in a yellow gold setting and a white gold setting. All different lighting conditions. It doesn't have any fluoro which the Whiteflash stone you are looking at does. Fluoro can help the color of a stone especially a J color. Mine looks pretty colorless to me.

_966.png

_967.png

_968.png

Irishsparkles

Rough_Rock
I'm size 7 for reference.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, I just went from a 2.43 ct GIA J to a 3.33 GIA I with faint fluorescence... I swear the I shows no color! I did look at several J colored stones in that same size range. Out of 4 stones, there was one that looked really white to me. It had MBF and must have been a "high J" because it looked just like the I (the only reason I decided against it was due loving the cut on the I better)! It may be worth your while to find a J with fluoro -- it would allow you to maximize your budget.

For reference, this is the 3.33 I (taken with bad lighting and darker grayish khaki walls, but still looks very white to my eye..)
msop04_solitemp.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, I wanted to mention that this is an SI2 (white feather) -- you can find eye clean SI2's... just more difficult. Just something to think about... :wavey:

starbuk

Rough_Rock
msop04|1455904390|3992964 said:
OP, I just went from a 2.43 ct GIA J to a 3.33 GIA I with faint fluorescence... I swear the I shows no color! I did look at several J colored stones in that same size range. Out of 4 stones, there was one that looked really white to me. It had MBF and must have been a "high J" because it looked just like the I (the only reason I decided against it was due loving the cut on the I better)! It may be worth your while to find a J with fluoro -- it would allow you to maximize your budget.

For reference, this is the 3.33 I (taken with bad lighting and darker grayish khaki walls, but still looks very white to my eye..)
msop04_solitemp.jpg

Thank you! Last few days I have increased my budget and also meandered away from J completely and would consider only I and H now. If I can get an I in that size to not look yellow, I will be in good shape. H's are just really expensive at that size..

The problem that I have is that the inventory is very limited.. I have been on WhiteFlash and JA, among others. I need to see pictures before ordering so it has to be in house at WF, the selection is small. JA stones show many inclusions so their selection ends up small too. Maybe I am doing something wrong or just am frustrated by the lack of eye clean commentary on JA.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
starbuk|1455913162|3993011 said:
msop04|1455904390|3992964 said:

msop04_solitemp.jpg

Thank you! Last few days I have increased my budget and also meandered away from J completely and would consider only I and H now. If I can get an I in that size to not look yellow, I will be in good shape. H's are just really expensive at that size..

The problem that I have is that the inventory is very limited.. I have been on WhiteFlash and JA, among others. I need to see pictures before ordering so it has to be in house at WF, the selection is small. JA stones show many inclusions so their selection ends up small too. Maybe I am doing something wrong or just am frustrated by the lack of eye clean commentary on JA.

starbuk, you can certainly get an I in a 3 ct and it not look yellow! NONE of the I's I looked at were yellow. I was apprehensive as well (and thought I'd end up upgrading to an H in time), but there is no way! There is definitely no need for it, bc my I looks soooo white!

Best of luck to you! Can't wait to see what you end up getting! :love:

If you don't mind me asking... what part of the country do you live in?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
starbuk|1455917375|3993041 said:
msop04|1455916417|3993032 said:
What about this one, OP?? It looks great and would be eye clean... AND it's in budget!

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/3.03-carat-i-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-880758

...and I know it gets a 3.2 on the HCA, but I don't care -- do your eyes love it? 8)

It looks nice.. how do you know it is eye clean?

The inclusions are showing because it's super duper magnified at 20X... Adjust the magnification to 10X, which is much larger than it would be IRL... Can you see any inclusions? I can't. :))

Diamonds aren't seen through a loupe IRL... and most women would rather have a larger eye clean IRL stone than a VS that is much smaller. This is just my opinion. :halo:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot to add that if you're considering it, place it on hold now... Eye clean SI2's at that size are very hard to come by (as you've already discovered, I'm sure). You don't want to run the risk of a lurker snatching it up! :doh:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bumping for updates...

starbuk

Rough_Rock
msop04|1456162760|3994020 said:
Bumping for updates...

Hi - I went with a Victor Canera Ideal Hearts stone. Way over budget :wall: and under 3 carats. Sacrificed carats for color and cut, which I think was a wise choice.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
starbuk|1456260234|3994544 said:
Bumping for updates...

Hi - I went with a Victor Canera Ideal Hears stone. Way over budget :wall: and under 3 carats. Sacrificed carats for color and cut, which I think was a wise choice.

Don't forget to post in SMTB when you get it! Congrats!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh! Your girlfriend will be thrilled. To have a stone and a setting from Victor :appl:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
starbuk|1456260234|3994544 said:
Bumping for updates...

Hi - I went with a Victor Canera Ideal Hearts stone. Way over budget :wall: and under 3 carats. Sacrificed carats for color and cut, which I think was a wise choice.

Tell us about the stone! You made a great choice with the stone I'm sure!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Victor has stunning stones, please post lots of pics when you get the ring!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results