shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a 1.7ct Cushion!!

dornab

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

So we are finally ready to make a decision on the engagement ring :) We got married a couple of months ago, I didn't know what kind of e-ring I wanted, I went through many ideas and options and read everything on this forum, and I finally know what I want!

I would love to get your help in finding my stone.

Requirements:
We would like to find a nice Cushion cut (modern, but I like medium/large facets), G+ color (prefer F+ but a good G would work), ~1.7ct, eye clean (SI1+), none to faint fluorescence. Would really like to keep the price under 11K but if we can't find the right stone at this price we can move up by 1-2K.

BlueNile doesn't have any videos or pics of the actual stones, which makes it really hard to find an eye-clean stone (I was looking a few months ago and it had a lot of videos, do they not have it during the holidays?!).

We found these two on James Allen, just by looking at the pics/videos, what do you think:
(A bit over budget):
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.72-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-793524
(A bit small):
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.60-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-793522

Any other ideas? Do you think it's a bad time to buy during the holidays? (No videos on BN, less inventory overall?)

JSlove

Rough_Rock
That first one looks really nice

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both are nice as it is now the 1st. Get an ASET.

With cushions you do not go by weight for size. You go by dimesions.

First one is:
6.96*6.83*4.74

6.85*6.62*4.55

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

dornab

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much Gypsy!

Gypsy said:

Gypsy said:

So I'm going with none or faint Fluorescence so 1 and 3 are unfortunately out (they look great though!). I really like #2. I also like 4 but it's kind of yellow in the video, do you think it's just how it's captured in the video or actually yellower? I've noticed some Gs are okay and some are too yellow in videos.

The last one (#5) is really beautiful (interesting facets), but my husband keeps seeing the inclusion even when it's 1x zoom so I think it'd have to be a really clean SI1.

So I ask for the ASET for these three (two I sent and the 1.58ct one). What do you think of BN, do you think it's worth looking into that as well, or waiting to see if they post videos eventually?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
A ignore photography isssues. These stone are not all imaged at same place 4 will be perfectly white. As for 5 it is very clean. Trust me on that one. You won't see a thing. That's the nicest stone and best value of the lot.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blue nile has no pictures or ASETs. Just thier Hearts and Arrows cushions. All others you are out of luck. Waste of time.

BE is worth contacting though, they can source a lovely stone

dornab

Rough_Rock
Okay, thanks gypsy! I will ignore the color in the videos, and #5 is back in also :)
A rookie question, what is BE? I couldn't find it anywhere.

dornab

Rough_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's a great stone. Seriously. Same size (dimensions) as the James Allen #5. It will be a very bright well performing stone. And BE has a great eye (as proven by this stone).

Plus, if you are thinking of having it set here in the states, BE has one of the most flexible benches around, and they can make just about anything.

Plus, if I'm not wrong, they have a promotion that if you spend 5K with them on an engagement ring, you get a pretty pendant.

I like it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
dornab|1452023187|3971142 said:
Thanks Gypsy, that's good to know. I still need to see the video to make sure I like the overall look, I can't imagine how it looks from these pics. I do like the dimensions better than #5.

The price is still a little higher than I would like. Do you think the other JAs are out? For example this one:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.72-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-793524

Not all the JA's are out, IMO. But that particular one, yes. It needs an ASET. It's one of the riskiest ones of the stones you are looking at.

Ones I would be okay recommending you buy without an ASET are these from JA:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.58-carat-e-color-vs2-clarity-sku-606989
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.72-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-763784
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.70-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-681597

And the F SI1.

But not that one. I'm sorry. I'll take a look and see if there's anything new that popped up in their inventory (doubt it though).

If you aren't in love with a stone, don't buy. Valentine's Day is around the corner and all the vendors will be restocking.

You deserve a stone you love.

dornab

Rough_Rock
I'm getting the BE one!!! :shock: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I love it, I think it will be great. It's hard to buy a cushion online for a noob like me. You were extremely helpful Gypsy, I couldn't and wouldn't do it without your help. A RB maybe, but a cushion, no way!

Speaking of RB, I'm also getting a 1.3-1.4ct one from BE at the same time, I will post the pics of that when it's finalized. It's for a pendant. :love:

dornab

Rough_Rock
This is the RB I'm getting, what do you think?

Shape: Round
Carat Weight:1.34
Color:G
Clarity:VS2
Graded By GIA
Cut Grade: Excellent
Depth: 60.10%
Table: 59.00%
Girdle:Medium To Medium
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence:None
Measurements: 7.15 X 7.17 X 4.31 Mm

251fvs1-officelight_gray-31.jpg

251fvs1-officelight_gray-32.jpg

251fvs1-officelight_gray-33.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you should.nclude crown and pavilion anglsz.

dornab

Rough_Rock
It's my own thread Gypsy, I'm just getting this RB from BE as well, thought I quickly post it here and just get a Yay/Nay.
You think I should start another thread?

screen_shot_2016-01-06_at_11.png

dornab

Rough_Rock
Any issues with the RB? I'm about to make the purchase! :shifty:

I thought it was pretty good..

The inclusion on the top left corner is apparently dirt, it's not really on the diamond, neither on the GIA report.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. I.edited. sorry.

Crown is.lower than I'd like for a ring stone but for a.pendnt stone should be great. IS looks good too.

dornab

Rough_Rock
Awesome! Done. Will post pics when I got them, and when I make the ring+pendant :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please do!

dornab

Rough_Rock
Got the diamonds!! They are both lovely. :love:
The round is brighter of course, but the cushion is pretty bright as well and has lovely facets. I like the color F of the cushion, I can see the color of the round, which is a G. The round is for a bezel set pendant so I doubt it will be visible.

I'm getting an east-west solitaire made for the cushion. It has very straight edges so I think it will look nice and modern:

Meanwhile I got the ASET for the #5 from JA, here it is if anyone is interested in it. Looks bright but what's going on around the table? I like larger facets so I decided not to go with this.

img_10440.jpg

496738aset.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay! So happy both worked out! Please post pics.of finished ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results