shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me do quick research on BURMESE RUBY please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SparkleRx

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I don''t really know anything about rubies but am looking up info as fast as possible. Can anyone help answer some questions? I came across a ruby ring that I think is very pretty but am not familiar with ruby grading:

GRS:
no. 9901042
date: Lucerne, 20th, January 1999
object: one faceted gemstone
Identification: natural ruby

wt: 1.41 ct
dimensions: 6.55 x 6.48 x 4.20
cut: brilliant/step
shape: round
color: red
comment: H(a)

Burma (myanmar)

My questions: - This is the only info provided, is there more info I need to know/ask about? heated/unheated and if one is better than the other? What is "natural" ruby? What is "H(a)"? I am reading it has something to do with fissure healing but don''t know what that means.

Does the info above seem like a good ruby?

Also, this ruby ring was originally sold at a B&M store already in its current setting. I notice the ruby was originally in a baggie and taped to the GRS report - is this normal? The reason I ask is because for B&M stores that sell already set settings, I have only seen a gemstone already in a setting with a certificate....not the gemstone first taped to the certificate in a baggie. Does that make sense?

Please be as descriptive as possible for any of my questions, I really don''t know anything about rubies. ANy good informative sites in laymans terms?

Thanks!

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
SparkleRx,

You have a GRS certificate which tells you nothing whatever about the quality of the ruby. H(a) means that that the stone is heat treated with insignificant residue from the heating process, no fissures have been filled, just a bit of the flux used in the process still attached.

I often use baggies to send my gems up to the workshop. We use velvet cushions for the clients.

terracentric

Rough_Rock
Here''s the GRS link to what H(a) means. It even has photos of flux-healing in the stone.

Click on "Lab Reports" on the links on the left of the webpage. Then click on "Enhancement Disclosure." Then click on the H(a) link

/http://www.gemresearch.ch/

Here''s what it says:

"H(a) - type Treatment

Clarity and/or color are enhanced by heat. The applied type of enhancement for the ruby or sapphire under consideration is, according to the opinion of GemResearch), considered a permanent enhancement. Extremely small residues of glass-like materials present in cavities or as isolated, extremely small residues in fissures affecting the weight of the gemstone less than approximately 0.001 carat, A - type Treatmentsuch as present in the ruby or sapphire under consideration are, according to the opinion of GRS GemResearch Swisslab, permanent enhancements."

terracentric

Rough_Rock
Forgot to add that GRS H(a) rubies are still pretty rare. If it''s red, brilliant, not very included, well-cut...go for it...if you don''t mind the the treatment.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Terre,

Very good thanks, did not know that was online.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
I thought that H(a) is the grading for gemstones receiving heat treatment only without any other enhancements? And that heat treatment is an acceptable way of enhancing the colour of rubies and sapphires and it can be commonly found?

terracentric

Rough_Rock
Hi SimplySplendid, heated would be (H) I believe. If you go to Palagems'' website, they actually state "heated + flux healing" on their rubies. This would be anything other than heated only including GRS H(a) or AGTA TE1.

What I haven''t been able to confirm is how much has been healed? The reports only grade amount of residues NOT the amount of healing involved since the refractive index of healed ruby is very close to the natural ruby. This is different from lead-filling or fracture-filling.

As far as the GRS cert details on the first post of this thread, one can check on the GRS website. I wasn''t able to pull it up based on the info provided above.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results