shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me design a ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I am trying to design a ring and I am in love with these three rings! I know I want to do a bezel, I love Laurenthepartiers but I also want it to look antique, like the second ring I will post. My boyfriend is in love with the kirk kara ring. Can someone think of a way to include to all these design elements into one ring? I hope it''s ok to post some of these pics. One is Laurenthepartiers and I forget who belongs to the other one but I love them!

kirkring918.jpg

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Laurens.

larenring9181.jpg

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Antique looking ring. Sorry they are so big! I can''t figure out how to resize or put them all on one reply.

oldring918.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
What about:

- Center: Asscher/Princess, bezeled with migrain
- Sides: Two tapered sapphire baguettes, bezeled with milgrain
- Band: Engraved (for antique feel)

I lack the photoshop skills to draw/create this, but does it make sense?

E B

Ideal_Rock
Sort of like the photo below (sorry for the crappy pic!) but with a bezeled asscher or princess center?

bezelbagssapphs1.jpg

GG414

Rough_Rock
I have been looking at a lot of sapphire and diamond rings too. This one was the first I thought of since it has the sapphires around the band. http://www.estatediamondjewelry.com/item.cfm?int_item_id=593&cat_id=3 You could do that but with a bezeled asscher, so that it would look somewhat like this. http://www.singlestone.com/site.php?page=collections&catID=3&pID=168&startRow=0

you could also do something like this, but with sapphire sidestones. http://www.estatediamondjewelry.com/item.cfm?int_item_id=219&cat_id=3

if you want a vintage look i would also recommend picking an asscher not a princess b/c the princess is a modern cut and wasn''t around back then. good luck with your designing!

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
These are great ideas! I am getting an asscher. It''s my love! I was wondering if I did the halo look of the antique looking bezel above if it would look too busy. Like too much? Should I not consider the halo and just do the bezel? I love both of your ideas.

GG414

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 12:30:57 PM
Author: stepcutgirl
These are great ideas! I am getting an asscher. It''s my love! I was wondering if I did the halo look of the antique looking bezel above if it would look too busy. Like too much? Should I not consider the halo and just do the bezel? I love both of your ideas.

I think you can definitely do a halo. Oh, just found this ring which has a bezel set halo asscher, and I think it is pretty awesome. http://www.estatediamondjewelry.com/item.cfm?int_item_id=867&cat_id=3#

There is also this one. http://www.estatediamondjewelry.com/item.cfm?int_item_id=706&cat_id=3

Can you tell I''m obsessed w/that website? ha.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I couldn''t get either of those to open for me. I like ebree''s idea of how to impliment the sapphires, miligrain and engraving but I''m also really wanting the look of the halo in the antique looking ring I posted. You think I could have that type of halo and the type of band ebree showed w/o it looking way overdone and busy?

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I got them to open. They are both beautiful but if I get a halo I like the metal type better for me. And I looked at all the rings on that web site. Love!

GG414

Rough_Rock
hmm, i just clicked on the links and they worked for me. maybe try them again. i mean, i''m not an expert of anything. i''m a newbie just like you. but i have looked at a lot of antique rings lately and from rings i''ve seen i think you could do both. antique rings are by their nature very intricate and detailed. some of them are certainly a little "over-done" for my personal taste, but all that matters is what you like.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 12:26:37 PM
Author: GG414
you might also want to look at this one. http://www.singlestone.com/site.php?page=collections&catID=3&pID=47&startRow=6 it has the alternating sapphire and diamond side stones w/a bezel-set center stone.
I like the idea of the shank of this one combined with the double milgrain bezel of the antique looking one. Both rings are from Singlestone. So I would give Ari a call and ask him what he thinks.

If he works with anyone who does CADs it will really give you an idea of what the design will look like before it''s finished.

Here''s my Pendant design, and you can see how incredibly life-like CAD can be. I''m constantly amazed that the images are computer generated and not pictures of a real pendant!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-pendant-cads-are-here.109711/

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I think I''m more settled on doing the double milligrain bezel like above. Should I do just an engraved band to keep it kind of simple, or add in the sapphires somehow? If I just do engraving on the band I was thinking I could get 2 sapphire/diamond baguette wedding rings and wear one on either side. That might keep the ering from getting too overdone and give me the sapphire/diamond antique look we love. But I''m just not sure. I have a hard time envisioning things. And on the flip side I want us to have matching wedding bands and I like the idea of us both having engraved plain bands (meaning no diamonds or sapphires). We''re pretty set that somehow sapphires are going to be a part of my set.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 2:54:25 PM
I think I''m more settled on doing the double milligrain bezel like above. Should I do just an engraved band to keep it kind of simple, or add in the sapphires somehow? If I just do engraving on the band I was thinking I could get 2 sapphire/diamond baguette wedding rings and wear one on either side. That might keep the ering from getting too overdone and give me the sapphire/diamond antique look we love. But I''m just not sure. I have a hard time envisioning things. And on the flip side I want us to have matching wedding bands and I like the idea of us both having engraved plain bands (meaning no diamonds or sapphires). We''re pretty set that somehow sapphires are going to be a part of my set.
Stepcutgirl, how funny, your original inspiration pic was my love for YEARS before my husband designed my ring.

I love the idea of sapphires in the wedding set, but was thinking you could possibly work them into the wedding band instead. However if you''re set on a plain wedding band, what about bezeling a couple of asscher sapphires into the side . . . all miligrained. Something like this but with muuuuuch smaller and lower set side sapphires?

3 stone bezeled asscher.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Or, the double miligrained bezel with a shank like this (which is really just a poorly done repro of the Kirk Kara)? Thinner, though and with MUCH more delicate miligrain.

miligrained with sapphires.jpg

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Yay Lauren! I was hopeing you would weigh in. I have been looking at your ring for so long. I love love love it! I wanted to go either super modern (like yours) or antique like what I''m trying to design and everytime I showed my bf a modern design he kept coming back to the older looking stuff. I love antique designs too so I''m more than happy. But at some point, I want a ring like yours! Maybe a rhr with a colored stone. I like both the rings you posted and I really do like the idea of the second one you posted. Maybe what I''m having trouble visioning is a double bezel with it. I''ve never seen any time of bezel except a very thin, plain one so it''s hard for me to picture all this stuff going on. It seems like the double bezel will take up a decent amount of space on my finger so to then do all that detail makes me wonder if it would be too much?

I love yout two super thin baguette rings. When I saw them on either side of your ering that gave me the idea that maybe I could do a diamond/sapphire version and tuck it under the bezel like you do.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for your kind words. My husband blushes everytime I send threads like this to him. He took months to design my e-ring, and it''s so flattering that people pull inspiration from it.

In fact, the double bezel Asscher that you posted, Hest88''s sister, was some of the inspiration for my ring. Let me go see if I can find that thread . . .

Date: 3/26/2009 3:12:53 PM
Yay Lauren! I was hopeing you would weigh in. I have been looking at your ring for so long. I love love love it! I wanted to go either super modern (like yours) or antique like what I''m trying to design and everytime I showed my bf a modern design he kept coming back to the older looking stuff. I love antique designs too so I''m more than happy. But at some point, I want a ring like yours! Maybe a rhr with a colored stone. I like both the rings you posted and I really do like the idea of the second one you posted. Maybe what I''m having trouble visioning is a double bezel with it. I''ve never seen any time of bezel except a very thin, plain one so it''s hard for me to picture all this stuff going on. It seems like the double bezel will take up a decent amount of space on my finger so to then do all that detail makes me wonder if it would be too much?

I love yout two super thin baguette rings. When I saw them on either side of your ering that gave me the idea that maybe I could do a diamond/sapphire version and tuck it under the bezel like you do.
It''s definitely a versatile solution. If you feel that you might not always love sapphires, I''d definitely go the wedding ring route so you can change them out a little bit.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-ering-emerald-cut-diamond-with-sapphire-accents.109255/

How about something like this but, with the Asscher also in a milgrain bezel?

sapphireloverring.jpg

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
That is absolutley beautiful! I went back and forth between wanting an ec or an asscher. After seeing the videos on gog my heart was set on an asscher. I love this design.

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
That one gypsy just posted would look gorgeous with an asscher!! What a fun project!!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m in a rush so haven''t read anybody''s suggestions - apologies in advance if I repeat something already said.

For me this is easy.

Take the Kirk Kara shank (millgraining and sapphire/diamonds etc) and use it with the head of the second bezel set asscher you posted (not Lauren''s). That way, you have millgraining to the whole ring and your partner gets what he likes in the design too!

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
LD-that is in my mind the absolute best of both worlds. What I fear though is that the double bezel head is just too big and it would end up being a way over the top ring? Does anybody else understand why I fear that? Any ideas of if it would be too much or ever seen anything like this in real life?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 5:43:34 PM
LD-that is in my mind the absolute best of both worlds. What I fear though is that the double bezel head is just too big and it would end up being a way over the top ring? Does anybody else understand why I fear that? Any ideas of if it would be too much or ever seen anything like this in real life?

I''ve never seen anything like it, but that''s the beauty of going custom. You can get a CAD done and decide if you like the general look.

What size center stone are you thinking of going for? Hest''s sister''s ring is a .87 ct. If you were thinking of going sub-1.00 ct. a 3 mm shank is about the max width I''d go to keep it from looking like "too much" in terms of bulk.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, I think if the baguettes are bezel set 2x3 mm stones, with really delicate miligrain, it will look just lovely.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 5:43:34 PM
If you look at the dimensions of the bezel on Lauren's gorgeous ring (and I'm sure she can confirm the width for you), I think it looks the same size as the millgrained option. The millgrained option looks bigger than it really is I think. It's an optical illusion. I really don't think it will be over the top. If you're worried then go for the same head as in Lauren's ring but then just simply millgrain the outside edge. It will have a delicate antique look, especially if the sides accent stones are delicate. Lauren's suggestion of side sapphires and the size I think would work beautifully.

Oh, and if you do get it made, can I take it out for weekends please??????
2.gif

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not sure what the stone size will be. I''m not going to be a part of any of it getting done so I''m gathering all my information of what I want, who I want him to get the diamond and ring from and giving it all to him to do on his own time. I believe we will be getting engaged late this year. Nov/Dec. My guess on size is around 1 ct, give or take a little. He likes the idea of using our local jeweler to make the ring but it makes me nervous and I think it will cost more. He agreed to get the stone from gog.

So you guys are saying you think it will look good if I have the kk shank and the double miligrain bezel set together? If I did that would it look good to get the wedding band like the kk one? It would be so nice if I could show him exactly what I want. If the kk and double bezel would look good together it would be so east to hand him both pics and say here, do this!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 6:59:35 PM
I''m not sure what the stone size will be. I''m not going to be a part of any of it getting done so I''m gathering all my information of what I want, who I want him to get the diamond and ring from and giving it all to him to do on his own time. I believe we will be getting engaged late this year. Nov/Dec. My guess on size is around 1 ct, give or take a little. He likes the idea of using our local jeweler to make the ring but it makes me nervous and I think it will cost more. He agreed to get the stone from gog.

So you guys are saying you think it will look good if I have the kk shank and the double miligrain bezel set together? If I did that would it look good to get the wedding band like the kk one? It would be so nice if I could show him exactly what I want. If the kk and double bezel would look good together it would be so east to hand him both pics and say here, do this!
Yes but if you''re worried about the double millgraining on the head, then just have millgraining around the outside edge - so imagine Lauren''s ring but with delicate millgraining to the edge of the central piece of the setting.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been talking to Chris at WF and I think we have a good idea! WF is the way to go for custom, isn''t it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results