shape
carat
color
clarity

help me decide!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m new to posting here--although I''ve read lots and lots of postings! Anyway, here''s my dilemma (it may not seem like a dilemma to many of you--it may be very clear cut!)... I am getting ready to reset my center stone (3/4 carat princess cut) into a new platinum setting. I have white gold now and hate it. I''ve found 2 different e-ring/wedding band matching sets that I like. They''re pretty similar in style. One vendor is a local, well known retail store - Jared. The other is a Gottlieb & Sons set that I would order from a place I found online - Soloman Brothers. I''m trying to decide between the two. I know Gottlieb & Sons makes excellent quality stuff. Here are the pluses/minuses. I''d appreciate any feedback, suggestions, etc! (good or bad feedback on either option is fine!) I''m just nervous about the "no returns on custom orders" rule that I''d be chancing online... By the way, I have seen the Gottlieb & Sons set in person in a local store but their price is ridiculous.

thanks all of you!

Gottlieb & Sons set:
1 carat total in the 2 rings (5 more stones than other set)
12 stones in the e-ring
14 stones in the band
VS2/SI1 (higher clarity)
Color G/H (better color grade)
3-4 weeks to make
$1000 down, the rest when it comes in.
I''d send them my ring when the setting came in.
They''d set my stone for free.
No tax.
No shipping fees--fed ex to me.
No returns or exchanges on custom rings.

Jared set:
1 carat total (5 less stones that are slightly larger - 1/10 carat or less each)
10 stones in e-ring
11 stones in band
SI2/I1 (lower clarity)
Color H (lower color grade)
They''d need to resize current set they have in stock, change the head to princess.
They said they could order a new set in my size and I could wear the other until the new ones came in.
They''ll charge me $305 to change the head from round to princess and to set my stone.
The price on this set is $337 more than the Gottlieb set.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think it''s a custom order.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Based on the complaints recently here and from the Better Business Bureau (90 in the past 3 months alone) I would NEVER buy from Jared. That's just me, but well known doesn't mean well respected. If you're interested just search for Jared here or on BBB site and see what you come up with.

On the other hand, Solomon Brothers is both a well known and respected vendor on here and I would buy from them in a heartbeat.

Good luck with your decision!

ETA: Is there a reason you're still considering the Jared set? Unless I am missing something it seems that the Solomon Bros. is better in all aspects except maybe the wait time? I don't think it's a custom order either, but double check with them.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like the Soloman Bros Gottlieb set will be much nicer quality, etc. I''m just nervous because it is a "special order" (I shouldn''t have called it "custom"). But it''s the same deal--no returns on special orders or custom orders. So if I tell them to order it for me, it''s mine. It will be made for my center stone specs and made in my size (which is a 4 1/2 and I guess smaller than their "stock" sizes. )

Has anyone here ordered from Soloman Bros? Were you happy?

And I know what you mean about Jared--it''s a typical retail type store. High markups and people who don''t know what they''re talking about (or don''t know any more than I do!).

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
just run a search on here for "solomon brothers". Seems there are many happy customers. But try and see if you can try on the ring somewhere locally first to make sure you love it ON.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it also depends what special order means. With some vendors it''s a GOOD THING because that means they make the setting for your actual stone... custom fit to the stone itself. If that''s the case, I wouldn''t worry... all the better designers do this instead of just provide stock settings that have to be contorted to fit stones.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, they would be making it to fit the specs of my princess cut stone (3/4 carat--I''m sure I''d have to get measurements done) and making the rings in my exact finger size. So I guess that makes it "custom" or "special order" huh?

I have tried the engagement ring setting on in a local store. I even had them drop a princess cut stone about the same size as mine down into the setting (which didn''t work great because the head on this ring is made for a round diamond). But it gave me a good idea of how it would look. I''m actually going back there today to try it on again and see it in better light (this is just a small, family owned jewelery business and their store is not all bright and shiny like the mall stores! It''s more like a hole in the wall!). I want to get the ring near a window so I can see it in good, natural light. They don''t have the matching band there for me to try on, but they did have the entire set in the bigger diamond size, so I tried that on to see how the rings fit together on my finger.

I guess I''m just nervous because I''ve never ordered anything like this before and I''m always afraid things won''t come out as I expected them to!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would definitely go with the setting from Solomon Brothers. It''s less expensive and has better quality diamonds...there''s no contest!

There was *just* a thread on here about a Jared store setting someone''s princess cut diamond and putting a chip in the diamond in the process. Then the way they handled it was terrible-lying, forging documents, etc.

Don''t go with Jared!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/10/2007 9:39:15 AM
Author: thing2of2
I would definitely go with the setting from Solomon Brothers. It's less expensive and has better quality diamonds...there's no contest!

There was *just* a thread on here about a Jared store setting someone's princess cut diamond and putting a chip in the diamond in the process. Then the way they handled it was terrible-lying, forging documents, etc.

Don't go with Jared!

I am not supporting Jared I have never been to one and they are not in the United Kingdom, but just want to add that although this may be true that is just one of their stores and maybe the deceiptful things was done by only one employee, so I would not say all Jareds stores are like that. However, after reading that I agree with thing2of2, it would put me off getting them to set a princess stone in a new mount which is the exact same scenario. Better to be safe than sorry. Then again though accidents do happen and that was only one setter who did it.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good point. So, will you guys take a look at the Gottlieb set and tell me what you think? Do you think it will look nice with a princess cut in the center? If you go to www.gottlieb-sons.com, in their online catalog, it''s # 27151. It has .54 carats in the wedding band and .46 in the e-ring. My center stone is a 3/4 carat princess cut. Is the size of my center stone a good match for these bands?

My center stone is nice, good color--I think it''s an H. Gottlieb uses G/H diamonds. I''m hoping my stone won''t look yellow against theirs, but I''m guessing since the stones in the bands are smaller, it won''t be noticeable.

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results