shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide

Darwin503

Rough_Rock
I've settled on a look for an engagement ring, and I need help deciding on the better value.

I know I want a pink sapphire as the center stone with a princess cut or cushion cut, and 2 accent diamonds. The color I'm looking for is represented in the below links.

I found this on gemvara, and I want the ring I settle on to look very similar if not this exact one. http://www.gemvara.com/jewelry/ivy-three-stone-princess-cut-ring-4mm-gem/princess-pink-sapphire-18k-white-gold-ring-with-diamond/y1d3c

I found this alternative I really like with white sapphires as the accent stones. I'd have to call and find out what the up sale is for 18k white gold though. http://www.myjewelrysource.com/sapphire/gr5587-pink-sapphire-engagement-ring.htm

I have a suspicion that it's a better value to buy the gems loose, as that was suggested in a different thread, but I got overwhelmed in my search.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
May I ask why the spinel I suggested wasn't to your liking? Too long? Not familiar with spinel?

Darwin503

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your suggestion. The cut is not what I was looking for. I went ahead and had a conversation with the girlfriend. She loves the idea of the pink sapphire, but wants the cut to be more "traditional for an engagement ring." What she means by that is princess or cushion cut.

I also need accent stones, so the cost of that sapphire, plus the setting, plus the accent stones was getting high.

Your suggestion was beautiful and appreciated, just not what my girlfriend is picturing.

Knowing how fantastic your taste is, if you had a spare moment to provide advice once again I would greatly appreciate it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your total budget? Happy to help look :wavey:

ETA: what size stone you want would be good too

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pointy corners of a princess cut has given many owners grief when they realized too late how prone the tips are to chipping, and those are diamond owners. I would suggest cushions over princess cut.

Darwin503

Rough_Rock
budget is 2-2.5k.

Those 4-5mm center stones look about right.

18k white gold for the setting.

Thanks for the pro tip on the cut.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fully aware this isn't what you're looking for, exactly, but it's a pink stone with a white metal diamond setting do I'm sharing. I know you're talking to her about this so maybe she'll think this looks engagement like. The setting is platinum and has an obituary. I'd offer maybe 500, use the rest of your budget for setting and sizing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282044505999

https://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/reduced-200-dollars-dot-00-1-dot-49-ct-sweet-mahenge-spinel-precision-re-cut-by-dan-stair-with-video

_37312.jpg

picsart_05-26-01.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If helps her visualize

picsart_22.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1464285065|4036564 said:
If helps her visualize

That's delicious! :love: :love: Thanks for visualizing, Neil! I think that's a wonderful idea as a combo

Darwin503

Rough_Rock
It's quite beautiful. I showed it to her, because at this point she might as well be fully involved.

She liked it, but not quite the style she know has pictured. She also balked a little at the stone. She didn't say it, but I can tell she feels a center stone at $200 felt a bit too inexpensive.

Thanks for your help.

Bex

Shiny_Rock
If she thought the center stone was $200, then I think she misread. It was REDUCED by $200 so the price is now $1600.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bex|1464366416|4036995 said:
If she thought the center stone was $200, then I think she misread. It was REDUCED by $200 so the price is now $1600.

Yes that stone used to be 2grand I believe. I know it's an oval or a cushion, but pink, with two accent stones, in platinum, in a hot pink stone for your budget isn't anything to sneeze at. Many people compromise on shape in colored stones, because it's hard to find he the color you want in any shape you what.

But of not her style, not her style. I'm still looking for you, I just thought this was a great deal for a great ring.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1464285065|4036564 said:
If helps her visualize

This would look -- AMAZING!! Ovals are so classy and elegant, esp in that setting! That's a great deal!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Darwin503|1464366185|4036994 said:
It's quite beautiful. I showed it to her, because at this point she might as well be fully involved.

She liked it, but not quite the style she know has pictured. She also balked a little at the stone. She didn't say it, but I can tell she feels a center stone at $200 felt a bit too inexpensive.

Thanks for your help.

OP, not to be rude, but... is she aware of your budget vs. what she's asking? You will be very hard pressed to find a better price. Niel has found an amazing deal -- and in platinum at that!

Darwin503

Rough_Rock
The ebay link is dead for the setting now.

Talked to her just now again, and seriously considering.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Darwin503|1464371483|4037023 said:
The ebay link is dead for the setting now.

Talked to her just now again, and seriously considering.

Weird it worked for me. Try googling eBay Platinum + Diamond Engagment Setting (Size - 6.50) Sizable

Have her look at his video, if found his photography the not accurate in his video. :)

Darwin503

Rough_Rock
Found through google. Just messaged the guy about the stone. Not 100% settled on it, but getting there.

Out of curiosity, are the rings on gemvara not worth the price? They look really nice, and are pretty affordable. Can't really find complaints about the website.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Gemvara is a mass produced product - there is no mention of treatment and being mass produced, what you receive may not look as pictured. The stone is also very small and I am not enthused about stones with extremely point ends from a durability standpoint.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1464373373|4037035 said:
The Gemvara is a mass produced product - there is no mention of treatment and being mass produced, what you receive may not look as pictured. The stone is also very small and I am not enthused about stones with extremely point ends from a durability standpoint.

+1, gemvara is typically not worth the cost at all.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
+1 for suggesting flipping through the mahenge thread. Its a good producer of drool!

Other than the shape, were there other things she said about the LT stone? Sometimes getting a good read on red/pink can be tough via photos. Since the seller has a 7 day return, it might be better to check it out in person rather than putting too much stock in the online photos.

Darwin503

Rough_Rock
He said he would take 1500. The video is impressive. Anyone have last thoughts before I pull the trigger?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Darwin503|1464385108|4037119 said:
He said he would take 1500. The video is impressive. Anyone have last thoughts before I pull the trigger?
Message the setting seller and ask if the depth would fit that setting

arabella

Shiny_Rock
I would get that stone to see it in person, like chroman said. That way you can make sure the color is right in case it shifts around in various lighting. I would suggest you have her spend some time with it during the 7 day return period to make sure it's "the one"!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's great he'd take 1500, you might even find another setting for 1000 locally that she likes better.

Darwin503

Rough_Rock
I pulled the trigger at $1500. I'm very hopeful that I will not be disappointed when I see it in person. The seller seems very genuine.

That being said, I still have $1000 to play with for the setting and accent stones. The ebay seller on the above linked never responded to me. Not really in love with it either.

What is the best way to find a setting for this spinel? Ebay?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Darwin503|1464538312|4037745 said:
I pulled the trigger at $1500. I'm very hopeful that I will not be disappointed when I see it in person. The seller seems very genuine.

That being said, I still have $1000 to play with for the setting and accent stones. The ebay seller on the above linked never responded to me. Not really in love with it either.

What is the best way to find a setting for this spinel? Ebay?

He's a great seller from what I've seen and if it doesn't work, you bought a stone from a place with a good return policy

I can't wait to hear what you and she thinks of it.

Darwin503

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your help Niel.

The seller for the setting you suggested has this available too.

Setting

Any thoughts on it? It is more of what we had in mind.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results