shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bat1983

Rough_Rock
Just want to start by saying Thank You to all the members and contributors for running such a wonderful site. I''d be even more lost without this site. I have been lurking, taking in as much info as possible. Here is my scenario.

I have been actively looking for a diamond for the last couple of months. I have gone from choosing EGL stones to finally deciding on either GIA or AGS. In terms of color, I have gone all the alphabets to I and size from .95 to 1.3. I need the expertise of this site to help me decide which direction I should be taking.

Should I go with a higher color say F-G in a 1 carat or go with a H-I in 1.2-1.3 carats? My budget currently stands at approximately $6000 with the setting. Here is a stone that I''m highly considering. Please provide any help/advice, it will be GREATLY appreciated.

I/1.2/VS2/HCA 1.5

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Color and clarity are personal preference.

You really should go out and look at lots of diamonds to discover your own comfort zone for color and clarity.

Just be sure you only look at diamonds graded by GIA or AGS, since other labs may grade differently.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto, also make sure it is a well cut stone before comparing colors as a badly cut stone will show more color than otherwise.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2010 1:44:50 AM
Author: kenny
Color and clarity are personal preference.

You really should go out and look at lots of diamonds to discover your own comfort zone for color and clarity.

Just be sure you only look at diamonds graded by GIA or AGS, since other labs may grade differently.
Hi Bat and welcome!

Ditto Kenny, just to add also to look at similar size, shape and cut quality when viewing diamonds in order to get a good idea of your preferences. If it is rounds you are interested in view some AGS0 Peerless from Jareds if there is one nearby or Hearts on Fire if there is a dealer near you.

bat1983

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately I'm in Toronto, Canada and don't have access to a Jareds. The stones I've seen at B&M stores seem inferior to all the stones I've seen online.

What do you guys think of the stone I mentioned from Excel Diamonds? Judah and Barry prepared the ASET and Ideal Scope images for me. To me, an untrained, uneducated eye, the stone looks absolutely gorgeous. Please tell me your thoughts. Link is provided on my first post, the very last line.

Thanks again guys!!!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
The IS image is good.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2010 9:17:47 AM
Author: bat1983
Unfortunately I''m in Toronto, Canada and don''t have access to a Jareds. The stones I''ve seen at B&M stores seem inferior to all the stones I''ve seen online.

What do you guys think of the stone I mentioned from Excel Diamonds? Judah and Barry prepared the ASET and Ideal Scope images for me. To me, an untrained, uneducated eye, the stone looks absolutely gorgeous. Please tell me your thoughts. Link is provided on my first post, the very last line.

Thanks again guys!!!
Its an excellent image, should be a lovely stone and it could show a little extra fire due to the slightly steeper crown angle, ask Judah if this is the case.

bat1983

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/6/2010 10:11:47 AM
Author: Lorelei

Its an excellent image, should be a lovely stone and it could show a little extra fire due to the slightly steeper crown angle, ask Judah if this is the case.
On the HCA, it shows as Excellent in every category except for Spread. Now does the ASET and IS image show any/substantial light leakage? Is that a really good image?

Lorelei, you mentioned extra fire due to the steeper crown angle, how would that look in everyday office setting? Would that add or take away from the brilliance?

Lastly, how would a stone similar to these specs, but with Strong Blue Fluorescence look? I''m skeptical, but I''ve read mixed reviews about fluorescence. How would it affect the fire and brilliance?

Again I''m really greatful for all the thoughts.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2010 11:41:42 AM
Author: bat1983

Date: 2/6/2010 10:11:47 AM
Author: Lorelei

On the HCA, it shows as Excellent in every category except for Spread. Now does the ASET and IS image show any/substantial light leakage? Is that a really good image? Normally only shallower depthed stones will get Ex for spread on the HCA, so getting VG is normal. Yes it is a good image.

Lorelei, you mentioned extra fire due to the steeper crown angle, how would that look in everyday office setting? Would that add or take away from the brilliance? It depends, normally these effects are very subtle and not something that is dramatically visible. Best thing is to ask Barry or Judah as to the personality of this stone and whether it does show any increased fire, but even if so it isn't usually something that jumps out at you and the lighting has to be right to show it.

Lastly, how would a stone similar to these specs, but with Strong Blue Fluorescence look? I'm skeptical, but I've read mixed reviews about fluorescence. How would it affect the fire and brilliance? It wouldn't have much of an effect at all on performance or not a negative one anyway, with strong blue it normally shows as a bluish glow if the lighting is right or if you observed the stone with a blacklight. If the diamond is well cut you will get a good display of fire and brilliance as with the stone you are considering, SB fluorescence would be another facet of the stone's personality. The main concern with SB fluorescence is that in rare cases it can make a diamond look cloudy in some lights but this is rare and a trusted vendor will always be able to advise.

Read more on fluorescence here from the Pricescope tutorial.

Again I'm really greatful for all the thoughts.

bat1983

Rough_Rock
Thank you Lorelei for the input. I spent the entire afternoon at work
2.gif
reading up on the fluorescence. I remember reading it once before, but I totally forgot about this article.

I think I''ll go with something that has some fluorescence but not strong, just in case my to be fiancee doesn''t really like it.

Any more thoughts on the actual stone?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The diamond looks good. I am Canadian too. You can go to Spence diamonds of all places to see AGS graded and GIA graded diamonds I believe. Don''t worry about cut, just go to see different colors.

bat1983

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/6/2010 9:49:43 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
The diamond looks good. I am Canadian too. You can go to Spence diamonds of all places to see AGS graded and GIA graded diamonds I believe. Don''t worry about cut, just go to see different colors.

I did go to Spence and they are asking for $11000 for an 1.25/H/SI1 with very similar dimensions as this diamond. Honestly, I cannot tell the difference from an H to an I. They all look the same with a regular background.

I''ve decided to go ahead with it.

Thanks everyone for all the help. It''s much appreciated. Once I have the ring finished, I''ll post some pictures.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results