shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CJ1

Rough_Rock
Hi,
Two choices and I can't make up my mind. I bet that's never happened to any of you before
2.gif
Here goes..

GIA Cert
Princess
1.40 CT
VVS2
G Color
76% Table
71.5% Depth
Girdle Thin to Medium
Culet None
Polish Good
Symmetry Good
Fluorescence None

EGL USA Cert 10/2003
Princess
1.30 CT
VS2
G Color
72% Table
68.6% Depth
Girdle Thin to Medium polished
Culet None
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Very Good
Fluorescence Faint
Crown 9.8%
Pavillion 56.7%

Well, which do you think? Thank's for the input! This is a great site!!!
CJ-

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#2 wins - in my view. I see no point paying for VVS - it is not visually different from the VS grade on the other stone, G is high enough to allow some freedom for the EGL grading ans still have no chance to end up with a tinted stone, and the difference in depth would most likely compensate for the difference in weight between the two (what are the measurement anyway?).
Also, VG symmetry is one desirable asset for a non-round cut while the "good" grade may allows imperfections.

Just my o.2, of course...

CJ1

Rough_Rock
Hi,
WOW, that was quick!

The 1.40CT is 6.22 x 6.21 x ???

The 1.30CT is 6.16 x 6.15 x 4.22

Sorry I don't know the depth of the first one. Thanks again
1.gif
Anyone else?
CJ-

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, tehre is some standard for princess cuts (seen these tables? ) so using them you cna have quite a bit of experise added to your decission... The two stones are in rather different cut quality groups... as you can check
2.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
#2 looks very nice to me too!
2.gif

CJ1

Rough_Rock
Another wrinkle...

I'm also looking at a radiant. Here are the specs.

GIA Cert
Radiant
1.24CT
VVS1
G Color
70% Table
64.3% Depth
Girdle Medium to Thick
Culet None
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Good
Flourescence Faint
6.23 x 6.02 x 3.87

Thanks again!
CJ-

CJ1

Rough_Rock
Valeria101,
Would you be shocked if I told you #2 was more than 1K LESS than #1
1.gif
Would that put a definite exclamation point on #2 even if it is a EGL USA Cert? Is the consensus #2? Thanks everyone and more opinions are still welcome!
Cheerio,
CJ-

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No shock... retail prices would vary with this amount for so many reasons... it is not worth discussing again. Also, cut quality is grossly under-rated in pricing - so better cut would not easily cover the same value as one more clarity grade. This is crazy - since actually no one would buy a chunk of VVS rough diamond. But consumer education about cut quality in - on average - much weaker than the level of info on color and clarity. So, leaving branded cuts aside, better cut still comes as a relative bargain for smart shoppers to snatch
2.gif

As for the last stone posted: it could be nicer, but I would love to know crown depth for it. I am not crazy about those "flat" looking princess cuts with nothing showing above the setting
8.gif
So, I'd love to know in advance that this stone is not one of 'those'.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results