shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide which metal to use with a honey zircon, and sidestones

What should I choose for my honey zircon project?

• white metal, orange-red spinels for sides

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • white metal, pink-red rubies for sides

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • white metal, green garnets for sides

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • yellow gold, orange-red spinels for sides

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • yellow gold, pink-red rubies for sides

• yellow gold, green garnets for sides

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Come on, get more creative and come up with something else!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • rose gold, orange-red spinels for sides

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • rose gold, pink-red rubies for sides

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • rose gold, green garnets for sides

• OMG, you overwhelmed me with too many options to choose from

• Total voters

voce

Ideal_Rock
il_794xN.678052329_4fcf.jpg

This is the gem in question. I'm trying to decide between using orange spinels as sidestones or green garnets, or rubies.

It's not as lemon-y crisp as the chrysoberyls I've set before (my only yellow gems that I've set so far). With my chrysoberyls, I used white metal, and I think white metal might work here. What do you guys think? Can I pull it off? Or should I set this zircon in yellow gold?

I'm waffling, but I really want to decide! I'm thinking of setting it into Yvonne's pillow pendant design. I'm really happy with the work that her bench does, and I got the zircon at her shop way back in February.

Oh yes, sidestones...I have loads of Yvonne's pink-red ruby melee, orange and orange-red Burmese spinel melee, and I can always buy more of Yvonne's green garnets.

Edit: I'm adding rose gold options to the vote, bear with me...

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Rose gold + green garnet (demantoid) could be nice as well =)2
I normally love rose gold, but do you really think it would work for a yellow center? o_O

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one might call for rose gold, for this specific stone.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I like the idea of the orange/pink side stones. Green is one of my favourite colours but for some reason the yellow and green isn't seem as appealing.

I'm planning a yellow zircon project myself and looking forward to seeing what you choose, especially with metal colours. I can't decide whether yellow or white will make more of a yellow stone but rose wasn't a colour I had considered.

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maybe because it is turning into autumn where I live (and it is my favorite time of the year!) but I would love to see an autumn color story. So I voted for yellow gold with orange side stones!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need to see a mock up of the choices...can anyone help with this?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without a mock up I choose white metal and pink side stones. But it would help to see the choices visually.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Rose gold with diamonds. Or yellow gold with diamonds. So it will be very bling bling blingy. But that's not an option so I don't know.

Except to say what a wonderful beautiful yellow zircon! And it will be so lovely when set.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rose gold and either the orange-red or the pink-red melee.
But yeah- would like to see pics of the chryso with the options, if possible?

Edit: oops. Zircon I meant!

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
I don't have the zircon with me (in mail from Yvonne; we've been sending stones back and forth as I change my mind on what I'm setting), I'll probably get it next week.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grassy softer green sides like Peridots for definite, not sure about the gold colour though, hence I have not voted, sorry!

DK :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have something you can mock up with? White, yellow and rose metals next to your stone?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sooooooooo I kept looking at it, and I think RG is probably not going to work. I say probably only because when I look at the image of the stone, I keep getting a "yeesh" moment. It would depend on the depth of the color in the gold.

Green gold would give a greenish tinge, might be ok.

White gold might actually be a better answer. An even better one; unplated white gold because you get some of the warmth of the gold to balance out the center stone.

I have a couple of yellow zircons which have remained unset because in direct sunlight they turn black to the eye. Its actually pretty freaking cool but....

Anyway I say go with unplated white gold, and if you don't want to go with an diamonds, go with orangy colored sapphires or even garnets.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
il_794xN.678052329_4fcf.jpg

This is the gem in question. I'm trying to decide between using orange spinels as sidestones or green garnets, or rubies.

It's not as lemon-y crisp as the chrysoberyls I've set before (my only yellow gems that I've set so far). With my chrysoberyls, I used white metal, and I think white metal might work here. What do you guys think? Can I pull it off? Or should I set this zircon in yellow gold?

I'm waffling, but I really want to decide! I'm thinking of setting it into Yvonne's pillow pendant design. I'm really happy with the work that her bench does, and I got the zircon at her shop way back in February.

Oh yes, sidestones...I have loads of Yvonne's pink-red ruby melee, orange and orange-red Burmese spinel melee, and I can always buy more of Yvonne's green garnets.

Edit: I'm adding rose gold options to the vote, bear with me...

Hey, since u have the spinela and rubies on hand are u able to provide photos for color tone comparison?

voce

Ideal_Rock
Hey, since u have the spinela and rubies on hand are u able to provide photos for color tone comparison?
Not sure my phone is capturing the color of the spinels correctly. IMG_20190926_152929533.jpg
Edit: I should clarify. The larger gems are spinels, and the smaller gems are the pink-red rubies.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So u are considering a halo if u do the rubies? Or a 3-5 stone with the spinels? Are u open to other possible color combo?

Demoniads and mint garnet
White gold
190926_183837_COLLAGE-1.jpg

Rubies and orange garnet
Yellow gold
190926_183849_COLLAGE-1.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
il_794xN.1617465177_q436.jpg

This is the setting style I have in mind, except 9x7, not 7x5 as in this ring. Right now I'm leaning yellow gold and orange spinels, although I'd also compare against rose gold. I have considered orange for the corners and green for the small sidestones if I go with rose gold.

One thing that's clear to me is that if I do white gold, I need the corners and the smaller stones to be the same or else it'll look too distracting. With a warmer gold, I can see it with 2 types of CS for melee.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two CS is the way to go.
With the orange spinels in 4 corners and pink rubies in between like the inspiration design? Yellow gold too? Yum!!

voce

Ideal_Rock
@ZestfullyBling have I asked you where you got your spess melee? I keep wanting some for my green and pink stones, but Yvonne, who is the source for most of my melee stones, doesn't have any. :cry2:

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
CE9562EB-08D0-4EEC-B970-2874E1EE2473.jpeg EBCEF006-A804-46DE-82E4-DEF1678D859E.jpeg I have an asscher zircon with the exact same color as yours, and I tried it on yg paper today (okay it was a fererro rocher tray, don't judge) and a shiny penny, and the YG paper looked much better in different lighting. I couldn't get a picture of how it actually looked in person, but the rose color just looked... weird. Posting two on the yg paper in yucky office lighting. As for sidestones I vote green or a magenta pink.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the shiny penny, yellow gold crumpled up chain, and aluminum foil test to see which metal looks best.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I like the shiny penny, yellow gold crumpled up chain, and aluminum foil test to see which metal looks best.
:eek2:Who carries pennies these days? Next time I might have to keep one if I pay cash at the grocery store. I usually pay by card and definitely do not carry pennies in purse/wallet.

Reactions: T L

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yellow gold lavender side stones. See p 73 of gemstones by Cally Hall

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I second:
Maybe because it is turning into autumn where I live (and it is my favorite time of the year!) but I would love to see an autumn color story. So I voted for yellow gold with orange side stones!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the contrast of white metal against the yellow stone, so would pick a white gold head with the orange spinels and then would have a yellow gold or rose gold band on the ring. I’m loving mixed metals lately. I know whatever you choose will be gorgeous :)).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Black rhodium would really make the yellow pop.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Black rhodium would really make the yellow pop.
If I were going for a solitaire I'd do it, but I'm pretty set on CRD's pillow style. Maybe I'll buy a yellow diamond stacker in black rhodium?

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
I normally love rose gold, but do you really think it would work for a yellow center? o_O

I think it could work with that yellow and demantoids, then again, personal taste

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results